FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Additional driver policy - Does Spouse Need to be at counter at pick-up?
Old Jun 29, 2013, 1:32 pm
flightfulbird

Additional driver policy - Does Spouse Need to be at counter at pick-up?

Originally Posted by tourist
With Avis (and Budget and Enterprise), your spouse can drive your rental car for free:

The following individuals, if 25 years of age or older and in possession of a valid driver's license, may drive the car with the renter's prior permission:

* Renter's employer (while on company business);
* Renter's fellow employee (while on company business
* Renter's spouse or life partner.

The above additional drivers are considered "authorized drivers" and need not be present at the time of rental, nor do they need to sign an additional driver form.

(At Hertz, the same is true for #1 Club Gold members.)

The above is for US.

I found this on the Flyertalk Avis forum from 2010 - have searched Budget, Flyertalk, the rest of the web - and called Budget. Budget's website currently indicates there is no charge for spouse as additional driver, seems very clear-cut but would really like to confirm from someone who has recent experience.

More importantly, trying to find out if both of us need to be present at Budget rental counter at pickup, or if just one of us can be there to acquire the vehicle and the other is allowed to drive it also without showing ID or whatever. I have gotten conflicting information from my phone calls to different Budget sites (local vs national numbers).

This is in Florida, specifically JAX location.

Thanks very much.