Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Registering for IRIS

Search this Thread

Old Sep 26, 2009, 3:35 pm

Programs: BAEC GGL & CCR
Originally Posted by Home Office Website
You can apply to register for IRIS if you are in one of the following categories:

are over the age of 18;
Old Sep 26, 2009, 5:30 pm

Programs: OW/AA, DL, UA; Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by Home Office Website
You can apply to register for IRIS if you are in one of the following categories:

...hold a current visa or permission to enter the United Kingdom (known as entry clearance) and it will continue to be valid for more than two months at the time of registration
Old Sep 26, 2009, 6:32 pm

FWIW, meeting the statutory minimums for IRIS is not a guarantee of acceptance into the program, even for a UK/EU citizen. This is especially true in case of persons belonging to a specific ethnic profile where a not insignificant level of IRIS-facilitated fraud has been detected (IRIS registree enters using the IRIS machine while the original passport is used by an otherwise undocumented passenger - often a relative with similar appearance - to pass through the UK/EU citizens line).
Old Sep 29, 2009, 12:15 pm

Originally Posted by B747-437B
FWIW, meeting the statutory minimums for IRIS is not a guarantee of acceptance into the program, even for a UK/EU citizen.
Indeed. I was refused enrollment (unofficially - ie, he didn't give me a written refusal) the first time I tried to enroll. Even though I meet one of the criteria, the officer didn't feel that I traveled enough, and was too lazy to get out the rule book to check. I didn't press the point.

I finally got enrolled on my last T5 visit, although the enrolling officer was slightly suspicious about me (I'm in the UK on an ancestry visa, but not currently working as I'm looking for work), so only gave me 2 years.

Oh, and the first time I tried to enroll, they got me to fill out the form, but the 2nd time there was no form required ... weird.

Last edited by Aus_Mal; Sep 29, 2009 at 12:27 pm
Old Sep 29, 2009, 5:22 pm

Another IRIS question ...

Does anyone here use it with a long term visa? As indicated earlier, I'm on an Ancestry visa. Should the machine spit out a sticker or not when I enter?

The website isn't particularly clear, and immigration officers I've spoken to aren't clear either.

If I visit an immigration officer, they must stamp my passport - so it's not like having a UK passport which isn't stamped on entry.

Next step is to email them and ask (of course!), but hoping someone has experience.
Old Sep 29, 2009, 5:39 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: Battleaxe Alliance
are a short-term visitor to the United Kingdom and can show you have been given permission to enter the country as a visitor at least twice in the past six months, or four times in the past 12 months at the time of registration.
Has anyone had any luck registering under this? I've been far more than twice in 6 / four times in 12 months, but I'm wondering if people are able to register under this criteria or if it's just there but not often permitted?

If it's unlikely to be permitted, I can't be bothered arriving at T5 earlier for the sake of trying to register and I'll continue the normal way (can normally use the fast track anyway, so generally not much queuing).
Old Sep 29, 2009, 5:39 pm

Programs: EXP AA.
Oh I can't emphasise how wonderful IRIS is after a 9 hour flight from DFW. Used it this morning and it got me past a big big line.

Cheers Larry.
Old Sep 30, 2009, 12:22 am

Programs: BA BD SA
Originally Posted by LTN Phobia
Has anyone had any luck registering under this?
Yes, I am registered under that rule. They checked my passports for stamps to verify my statement. (So if you have a brand new passport take the old one as well.)

Originally Posted by Aus_Mal
Another IRIS question ...

Does anyone here use it with a long term visa? As indicated earlier, I'm on an Ancestry visa. Should the machine spit out a sticker or not when I enter?

The website isn't particularly clear, and immigration officers I've spoken to aren't clear either.

If I visit an immigration officer, they must stamp my passport - so it's not like having a UK passport which isn't stamped on entry.

Next step is to email them and ask (of course!), but hoping someone has experience.
I haven't (yet!) used it on a long term visa. (As of July we are required to have visas. ) But my position is similar in that I get a stamp if I see an immigration officer. Iris does spit out a flimsy thermal paper type ticket which I was told one needed to keep with one.
Old Sep 30, 2009, 2:02 am

Originally Posted by Cheetah_SA
Yes, I am registered under that rule. They checked my passports for stamps to verify my statement. (So if you have a brand new passport take the old one as well.)
Thanks for the info. My passport is fairly new (<6 months old) but already has lots of UK entry stamps on it, so it should be fine, hopefully.

Iris does spit out a flimsy thermal paper type ticket which I was told one needed to keep with one.
This is good - so, no stamping the passport then. This means I won't end up having to give even more money to the government by having to renew my passport in the next 12 months (it's already 1/3 full) - it will probably last 24-28 months.
Old Sep 30, 2009, 2:26 am

Programs: Sometimes BA, sometimes AA
Does this also mean no more filling in landing cards?
Old Sep 30, 2009, 2:32 am
fomerly CoachBoy

Programs: United Premier Platinum, British Airways Silver
Originally Posted by potfish
I haven't filled out a landing card in 2+ years. While T5 never looks too bad, IRIS really helps at T3, where there are so many long haul flights that you're virtually guarenteed a long wait at immigration, if you're not a UK/EU citizen.
Old Sep 30, 2009, 3:41 am

Programs: BA BD SA
Originally Posted by potfish
If Iris works, yes. But I fill one in anyway just in case. If Iris isn't working I don't want to be scrabbling about to find a landing card when I get shunted into a regular queue.
Old Sep 30, 2009, 3:45 am

Originally Posted by Cheetah_SA
If Iris isn't working I don't want to be scrabbling about to find a landing card when I get shunted into a regular queue.
I'll be keeping a half filled out one in my passport holder - the only things missing will be the flight number and my signature... then if IRIS isn't working, it's a 3 second job to scribble in the required data.
Old Sep 30, 2009, 10:44 am
Original Poster

So after the help and feedback I registered for IRIS on Monday @ T5, a really easy process that literally took 5 minutes, including the wait for the guy in front to be done.

Came back today and used the IRIS scanners for the first time, really very impressed ! No more immigration queues and moaning Brits in them for me ;-)

NB: the American lady who tried to register was declined by the IRIS staff as she didn't fly frequently enough (4 times a year into UK) and that they 'like to see the person at the desk'.
Old Sep 30, 2009, 11:54 am

Originally Posted by Beergander
So after the help and feedback I registered for IRIS on Monday @ T5, a really easy process that literally took 5 minutes, including the wait for the guy in front to be done.
What documents and information did you have to supply, other than the passport?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.