Registering for IRIS

Reply

Old Sep 26, 09, 8:16 am
  #1  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 107
Registering for IRIS

Hi,

Will be traveling from T5 on Monday and wanted to know how easy it is to get registered for the IRIS passport recognition system. I've checked the border & immigration website but can only see that it says you can register after security no further info.

Anyone any experience of getting this done at T5? And is it worth it?

Thanks
Beergander is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Sep 26, 09, 8:22 am
  #2  
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 212
Hi Beergander.

Its very easy to do and takes a few minutes.

Go through South Security in Terminal 5, once through all the fun stuff turn right, walk down a bit and on the left you will see the signs for the tax/vat claim office, just in there is where you can get registered for iris, show them your passport and they then do what they need to and tell you how it works.

Used it for the first time coming back from JFK the other month and it was easy and faster then going through normal passport control.

Have a good weekend
TREKSTER1006 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Sep 26, 09, 9:31 am
  #3  
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: London, UK and Languedoc, France
Programs: BAEC Gold
Posts: 474
It only took me about five minutes; it was very easy and painless. A form to fill out, show your passport, get scanned and your data input into the Borg machine, and you're all done.
Expatbear is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Sep 26, 09, 9:47 am
  #4  
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Programs: Lord OPebble - Mucci of the Hour. Diamond Class MUCCI.Chevalier du Circle Intime de Pucci
Posts: 7,088
Originally Posted by TREKSTER1006 View Post
Hi Beergander.

Its very easy to do and takes a few minutes.

Go through South Security in Terminal 5, once through all the fun stuff turn right, walk down a bit and on the left you will see the signs for the tax/vat claim office, just in there is where you can get registered for iris, show them your passport and they then do what they need to and tell you how it works.

Used it for the first time coming back from JFK the other month and it was easy and faster then going through normal passport control.

Have a good weekend
Err not quite. Once through south security turn LEFT and before you get to the escalators you will see the Tax/VAT and IRIS offices. Takes about 10 mins to register.

Absolutely wonderful when you get back especially at T3.Shame is all the numbties who try to use IRIS not realising you have to register first!
OPebble is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Sep 26, 09, 9:50 am
  #5  
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: NYC/LON/LAX
Programs: BA Gold, AA Platinum
Posts: 476
IRIS is fantastic. More often than not I have not wait for the booth, and if there is one it is rarely more than a couple of people.
Seated in First is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Sep 26, 09, 9:54 am
  #6  
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 127
I just ran across the office on the way into my terminal. It was very quick, very easy, and less invasive than going though the airport's security or using the US's new pre-entry web-site.

I haven't actually used IRAS on my way back into the country oddly enough as the UK/EU queues rarely justify it, plus the IRIS lines aren't manned and the doors are always closed (does that mean they're opened or closed?).
UnoriginalGuy is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Sep 26, 09, 10:13 am
  #7  
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: LHR/SIN/CGK
Programs: BAEC GGL & CCR
Posts: 558
Originally Posted by UnoriginalGuy View Post
. . . plus the IRIS lines aren't manned and the doors are always closed (does that mean they're opened or closed?).
The doors only open to let someone in, otherwise they remain closed.

If there's a red cross at the entrance to the machine, it's in use; if it's a green arrow, it should be working. If nothing is displayed, I guess it's not functioning.
Anfield is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Sep 26, 09, 10:25 am
  #8  
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Londinium
Programs: BA Gold. Kangorucci. NZGE.KLM Gold. VS gold
Posts: 1,599
It works brilliantly and usually there is no queue at the machine. The enrollment office hours are slightly unreliable so even if the office should be open it may not be which can be frustrating. I always use it if possible.
Hubbabridge is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Sep 26, 09, 10:39 am
  #9  
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 127
Originally Posted by Anfield View Post
The doors only open to let someone in, otherwise they remain closed.

If there's a red cross at the entrance to the machine, it's in use; if it's a green arrow, it should be working. If nothing is displayed, I guess it's not functioning.
Fair enough. I'll try and make a special effort to use it next time.

Just most of the time there is a HUGE line for the non-UK/EU people and a few tiny lines for the UK/EU. Plus they barely even look at my passport on the way into the country, just scan it, glance and the screen and wave me though.

Can non-UK/EU people apply? Because if so I would highly recommend it.
UnoriginalGuy is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Sep 26, 09, 10:43 am
  #10  
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Programs: Lord OPebble - Mucci of the Hour. Diamond Class MUCCI.Chevalier du Circle Intime de Pucci
Posts: 7,088
Originally Posted by UnoriginalGuy View Post
Fair enough. I'll try and make a special effort to use it next time.

Just most of the time there is a HUGE line for the non-UK/EU people and a few tiny lines for the UK/EU. Plus they barely even look at my passport on the way into the country, just scan it, glance and the screen and wave me though.

Can non-UK/EU people apply? Because if so I would highly recommend it.
Yes if you have a right of residence. A colleague of mine who was Japanese and had a 3 year work permit registered with no problems.
OPebble is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Sep 26, 09, 12:58 pm
  #11  
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 212
Originally Posted by OPebble View Post
Err not quite. Once through south security turn LEFT and before you get to the escalators you will see the Tax/VAT and IRIS offices. Takes about 10 mins to register.
There is really only 1 way to turn when you go thru South Security unless you are traveling up front in First or are a Prem card Holder and going thru THE door so did not put in the turning direction, sorry.
TREKSTER1006 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Sep 26, 09, 1:40 pm
  #12  
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: LHR/SIN/CGK
Programs: BAEC GGL & CCR
Posts: 558
Originally Posted by TREKSTER1006 View Post
There is really only 1 way to turn when you go thru South Security unless you are traveling up front in First or are a Prem card Holder and going thru THE door so did not put in the turning direction, sorry.
Err not quite. CCR card holders can also turn right.
Anfield is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Sep 26, 09, 2:44 pm
  #13  
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: London, UK
Programs: BA Gold(OWE), QF LTG, MR Plat, IHG Spire, Hertz PC
Posts: 8,156
FWIW, the other thread is located here:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/briti...7-iris-t5.html
Traveloguy is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Sep 26, 09, 2:57 pm
  #14  
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 314
I have been using IRIS for the past 18 months, about 10-12 times, and it has been great until last week. I went in and it scanned me 3 times and then rejected me as not being in database (I forget the exact wording). Any ideas on what may have happened? I did the exact same thing I have done every other time, mainly removing glasses, and it had successfully took the scan but nonetheless rejected me.

Do I need to re-register?
canred is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Sep 26, 09, 2:57 pm
  #15  
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: CPT
Programs: BA BD SA
Posts: 4,400
Originally Posted by OPebble View Post
Yes if you have a right of residence. A colleague of mine who was Japanese and had a 3 year work permit registered with no problems.
It is even less onerous than that - you may only be required to have a valid entry visa or passport. From the Home Office web site:

You can apply to register for IRIS if you are in one of the following categories:

are over the age of 18;
are a permanent resident of the United Kingdom;
are exempt from immigration control (this means you have no restrictions on your ability to enter and leave the United Kingdom or how long you can stay here);
are a British citizen or you have the right to live and work (right of abode) in the United Kingdom or are a citizen of a country in the European Economic Area or Switzerland;
are a family member of a person who is a citizen of the European Economic Area or Switzerland and that person is living in the United Kingdom;
have permission to enter or stay in the United Kingdom (known as 'leave to enter or remain') for more than six months and that permission will continue to be valid for more than two months at the time of registration;
hold a current visa or permission to enter the United Kingdom (known as entry clearance) and it will continue to be valid for more than two months at the time of registration; or
are a short-term visitor to the United Kingdom and can show you have been given permission to enter the country as a visitor at least twice in the past six months, or four times in the past 12 months at the time of registration.
Cheetah_SA is offline  
Reply With Quote

Thread Tools
Search this Thread