Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Bad customer service? Gold member trying to enter the lounge at Heathrow

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Bad customer service? Gold member trying to enter the lounge at Heathrow

Search this Thread

Old Sep 7, 2009, 10:00 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by srbrenna
On the other side of the coin we have had plenty of posts from FT'ers being denied lounge access that they were entitled to (onward flights in F etc) so BA aren't squeeky clean either. They are not nicknamed Dragons for nothing in this forum.
That is a good point - I wonder how many poor souls have been refused entry when they shouldn't have.
In the OPs friends shoes I would give it a go but just accept the decision if it went against me.
Old Sep 7, 2009, 10:02 am

Programs: Mucci Diamond Hairbrush. And Nouveau Bronze
There are two distinct questions here:

(a) should the rules be enforced?
(b) should the rules be changed (and if so, why, and to what)?

The answer to the first is relatively simple. It's the second question that's rather more interesting IMHO.
Old Sep 7, 2009, 10:09 am
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

Originally Posted by Zamoyska
I'm sure BA get dozens of customers daily claiming they'll never fly them again ... then they'll be back onboard the following week/month/year! I would imagine this scenario is true for every airline.
Hmmm, shuffles uncomfortably
Old Sep 7, 2009, 10:10 am

Programs: BA Gold, several other less interesting cards...
Originally Posted by HIDDY
In the OPs friends shoes I would give it a go but just accept the decision if it went against me.
The trouble with that is there is a long "walk of shame" that the unsuccessful have to tread

If I were the OP I would have advised that a well written letter to Customer Service is the best option. They have got better over the years
Old Sep 7, 2009, 10:11 am

Programs: FlyingBlue Platinum, Miles&More Senator, bmi Diamond Club Silver, Marriott Gold Elite, SPG
You know, it's very easy for BA to fall into line with other FF programs that allow (1 guest or immediate family.. ie. wife, son, daughter) when travelling on the same flight/same day.. It's a family friendly approach to reward those that frequently travel enough to be Gold. I don't see a problem with that solution.
Old Sep 7, 2009, 10:16 am
DKI

Programs: BA Gold VS Gold SAS Gold
So how will it work next week when I and my wife (both Gold) fly Club to SFO with our 2 month old twins (infant fare so no seat) and a nanny (no status) flying in WT?

Will we be excluded from taking the nanny into the lounge- even though she will be key to helping maintaining peace and quiet for th eduration of our stay?
Old Sep 7, 2009, 10:22 am

Originally Posted by barobson
At the lounge we asked politely if it was possible and were then completely humilated by the man on reception. He said that we were "too cheap" to pay for our son to be in club and that he was sure we wouldn't be willing to pay for an upgrade.
Is this for real?

Sounds like the OP's boss got off lightly.
Old Sep 7, 2009, 10:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Max 1 guest is pretty standard across the industry. So I am not sure whom the OP boss is planning to fly with that will grant him guaranteed access for 2 guests.

Besides, if he is used to flying in CW (and apart from the loss of time if he needs to add a transfer via elsewhere as a result of his decision not to fly BA), he is likely to be rather disappointed with the J/C class of quite a few carriers.

Flying LH or AF in C just to avoid BA? Cutting your face to spite your nose, if you ask me.
Old Sep 7, 2009, 10:25 am

Programs: Mucci Grandee (Upgraded), BA Silver, AZ MilleMiglia
Part of the issue at LHR is the fact that someone who has a Gold card and who spends £50k a year is really not that unusual.

Galleries First at LHR is the Gold card lounge, and most people (OK, most non-FTers ) would probably have spent at least £20k-£30k to have earned enough points to get the card in the first place. So the OP couldn't really expect special treatment.

At outstations it's different; I remember once flying from (I think) MXP to LHR on AZ with wife (also BA Gold) and 6-year-old son, and asking at the BA lounge whether they would waive the no-guest-if-flying-another-airline rule and let us all in. The dragon waved us straight in saying "of course; wow, two gold cards".

If the rumours of paid lounge access for guests from next year are to be believed, then problem solved (as long as it's done properly).
Old Sep 7, 2009, 10:26 am

Programs: Lord OPebble - Mucci of the Hour. Diamond Class MUCCI.Chevalier du Circle Intime de Pucci
Originally Posted by DKI
So how will it work next week when I and my wife (both Gold) fly Club to SFO with our 2 month old twins (infant fare so no seat) and a nanny (no status) flying in WT?

Will we be excluded from taking the nanny into the lounge- even though she will be key to helping maintaining peace and quiet for th eduration of our stay?
The twins don't count as PAX!
Old Sep 7, 2009, 10:29 am

Poor Familyfox is trying hard to defend his immature boss. If I were him, I'd be looking for a new job before I made a minor slip and was canned.

To walk away from a fine airline over that is just bad business. If that carries through to his other decisions, too bad for the business.
Old Sep 7, 2009, 10:34 am

Programs: BA - Blue > Bronze > Silver > Bronze > Blue
Originally Posted by HIDDY
As would most people I suspect. Unless the agent was actually rude to the OP's boss, when denying him access, he can have no complaints whatsoever. If the agent was rude, he should make an official complaint, not just grab his ball and go home like a petulant 3 year old himself!
Old Sep 7, 2009, 10:37 am

Programs: BA EC Gold
I'm amazed that the OP's boss would even consider shifting £50,000 of revenue over such a minor issue.

Sounds like he's got a major entitlement problem to me.
Old Sep 7, 2009, 10:41 am
Suspended

Programs: Proud owner of 3 Mucci's (yes, 3!) the latest being Chevaliere des Bains Chauds, BA Silver (6 yrs)
Originally Posted by aristoph
Is this for real?

Sounds like the OP's boss got off lightly.
Although I appreciate I wasn't there, I'd be utterly amazed if these were the exact words used.
Old Sep 7, 2009, 10:50 am

Programs: BA Silver
Originally Posted by familyfox
... look to address before BA loses anymore customers.
I've been reading this thread with interest, and whilst i fall in the "them's the rules" category, i do think BA could improve two things in such scenarios:

• Better publicize the rules for accepting children into the lounges. I'd say accepting children under 2 (perhaps with a max of two?) would be acceptable, in additional to one other guest. Perhaps they allow this in the Galleries only, and leave the Flounge and CCR as it is?
  • Recognise the oft-mentioned statement here that there are many Silver/Gold members who never bring a guest into the lounge in their regular travels and would, just once or twice a year, like to bring in 2 guests. Surely something can be worked out here.

However, familyfox, i have one request for you. Could you commit to posting back here in, say, 2 or 3 months, a let us know if you boss did go through with his assertions?

I personally think its a over-reaction and, upon reflection, and on perusing the products of other airlines, is it possible that your boss may choose to reconsider?

Last edited by Paralytic; Sep 7, 2009 at 10:58 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.