Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Bad customer service? Gold member trying to enter the lounge at Heathrow

Old Sep 7, 09, 8:38 am
Original Poster

My boss just had a rant at BA and i had to stick up for him. Someone refused a gold card member into the lounge at Heathrow with his wife and 3 year old daughter.

This is someone who spends over 50,000 a year with BA on business travel (alone) and who decides who the rest of the team fly with.

Now he has decided to take his business elsewhere for the entire team (including me). This will cost BA about 200,000 over the course of the next year.

I'm not sure what the rules are for gold members and how many people they can bring into the lounge, but they clearly need to review this rule otherwise its going to lose them more customers.

For personal travel i will still use them, collect my points at tesco and my amex card but i am sad to say goodbye to them for business travel all because they didn't allow a three year old into the lounge.

I hope someone who is senior at BA reviews this and takes the comments on board.
Old Sep 7, 09, 8:42 am

Programs: MUCCI, British Airways Executive Club Gold
Rules are rules, unfortunately. He was right to be refused lounge access for two guests. When it is particularly busy, the lounge staff have the right to refuse access full stop, let alone guests. Expressing a DYKWIA attitude makes things worse too...
Old Sep 7, 09, 8:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I'm sure there was a whole lounge full of people grateful not to have to share it with a 3 year old.
Old Sep 7, 09, 8:48 am

Programs: BA GGLfL
That's what the rules say. Thankfully, BA Lounge staff are often able or willing to use discretion in allowing additional guests into the lounge. However, if they choose to apply the strict letter of the law that is their prerogative, whether or not we like it.

Your boss throwing his toys out of the cot is a childish over-reaction.
Old Sep 7, 09, 8:49 am

Programs: BAEC (Gold), Hilton (Gold)
Originally Posted by familyfox View Post
My boss just had a rant at BA and i had to stick up for him. Someone refused a gold card member into the lounge at Heathrow with his wife and 3 year old daughter.
The rules about lounge access are quite clear. Gold card holders are permitted 1 guest and the refusal was perfectly legitimate.

The lounge attendant was simply doing his or her job. If your boss wanted lounge access for 3 people, and flies as much as you say, then he would have known this rule.

BAH
Old Sep 7, 09, 8:55 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
The rules are simple and clear and the lounge staff applied them correctly - why is that 'bad customer service'? If your boss switches his allegiances so readily you may have to be prepared to fly with a number of different carriers over the coming months.
Old Sep 7, 09, 8:56 am

Programs: Mucci Entry Level, BA Gold, EK Pleb, SK Pleb, QR Pleb
It's very easy to get access to the lounge, travel on a club ticket.
Old Sep 7, 09, 9:03 am
Original Poster

To be clear for those with big imaginations, my boss didn't kick up a stink. He accepted what he was told by the BA staff and walked away. He made the decision to stop using BA once this was said to him. He had always been allowed in with his wife and daughter up to this point.

If your telling me that on a Saturday morning at Heathrow the lounge is too busy for an extra guest (a three year old) then fair enough...i don't believe it though.

I think some of you are missing the point unfortunately... . I am a big BA fan, but never forget that customer service plays a big part what got BA to where it was 18 months ago and these are the people who could help BA ride the bad times. Nobody is too big to fail.

I do agree rules are rules...i think its time for BA to review the rules, especially for gold members who travel to North America in first several times a year and to Asia in First several times a year.

I am upset because i will not get to use BA on my business travels anymore...any big BA fans should feel that the rules need to be looked at to avoid losing big customers.
Old Sep 7, 09, 9:06 am

Programs: LH SEN, BA Gold
Originally Posted by Swanhunter View Post
I'm sure there was a whole lounge full of people grateful not to have to share it with a 3 year old.
..that depends on the 3 year old. I'd rather have a tired & cranky 3 year old off a TATL than a room full of DYKWIA's shouting in their cellphones. Plus, 3 year old's (at least mine) can be easily be diverted with ice cream (now, try THAT with a DYKWIA ).
Old Sep 7, 09, 9:09 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
My boss just had a rant at BA and i had to stick up for him.
my boss didn't kick up a stink. He accepted what he was told by the BA staff and walked away.
There seems to be a lack of consistency in these statements.
Old Sep 7, 09, 9:12 am

Programs: BA (LTG), Miles&More (whatever the lowest level is), Oyster card (zones 1-2)
This tells us much more about your boss, and your company, than it does about BA.

Perhaps you could tell us the name it, and I will avoid it in the future.
Old Sep 7, 09, 9:13 am

Programs: BA Gold, several other less interesting cards...
Originally Posted by BAHumbug View Post
The rules about lounge access are quite clear. Gold card holders are permitted 1 guest and the refusal was perfectly legitimate.

The lounge attendant was simply doing his or her job. If your boss wanted lounge access for 3 people, and flies as much as you say, then he would have known this rule.

BAH
Not necessarily. I know quite a lot of Gold card holders who are blissfully unaware of this rule. They are used to travelling alone. Even on holiday they send out the family separately as an advance party.

It is not unusual for people to interpret the 1 guest as 1 adult guest. Let's not forget that they are frequent fliers, not frequent FT'ers

Originally Posted by Swanhunter View Post
^ ^

Originally Posted by Lobengula View Post
It's very easy to get access to the lounge, travel on a club ticket.
This has never failed when I have tried it!
Old Sep 7, 09, 9:15 am

Programs: BA Gold, several other less interesting cards...
Originally Posted by timezonehopper View Post
With your moniker you should be able to work this out
Old Sep 7, 09, 9:17 am

Programs: BA - Blue > Bronze > Silver > Bronze > Blue
Originally Posted by timezonehopper View Post
I assume he meant to him.

I can see both sides to this argument. To never fly with them again after this decision seems a bit daft, if he is aware of the rules. I suspect if he had to put up with a load of kids running about in the lounge on one of his trips to the Far East, he may have made the same decision!
Old Sep 7, 09, 9:18 am
Original Poster

Well to clear up confusion i meant he came to work this morning a little upset with BA. He didn't complain to BA directly, he isn't the sort of person to complain (why complain when you something has let you down when you can use a competitor). Some people don't care about being compensated 5000 ba miles, to people like this it doesn't make a difference, he just wants to travel and be treated like a proper customer.

If someone tried to bring in another family with them or loads of people/kids then i could understand rejection, but one gold member trying to bring in a three year old girl and being refused is just silly customer service in my opinion.

Obviously my opinion of this poor customer service (from the rules BA set, not the employees) is far from what majority here think.

I've seen lots of people on this site demanding silly changes and being furious for silly reasons on this board before, i don't think this is one of them. None of us complained about the washbag saga etc, we just liked to travel in comfort.

I just feel that he was let down by BA and now BA has lost his custom (some of you are probably saying "good) but in this current market it was a silly reason to lose a decent customer.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: