Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

BA 'Face of Opportunity' Winners being Announced!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 28, 2009, 5:18 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA Gold-MM, AA Gold-MM, F9-Silver, Hyatt Something, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hilton Diamond

And I am one!

Just got the email today announcing that I was selected. Now the strange part is that I applied for the trip originating from LAX. But they have me registered for the trip originating from JFK. I specifically picked LAX due to scheduling constraints.

Anybody else get notified?
Old Aug 28, 2009, 6:26 pm

Congratulations!

You'll have to post up a picture if BA use your likeness on brochures, etc.

Old Aug 29, 2009, 5:03 am

Programs: BAGold; AA3MMPlat; UA1MMGold; FBGold; MarriottAmb; AccorPlat; HHGold; ICPlatAmb; HyattDiscoverist
I think another FTer posted a week or two ago that (s)he'd won--you might want to do a search. Also on the JFK flight, I believe.
I didn't enter, but a good friend (who's not on FT) did and will be on that flight, as well.
Old Aug 29, 2009, 7:54 am

Programs: A shadow of my former self
Is it worth "winning"?

I also won, departing from JFK as expected, but I may not accept the prize.

According to the paperwork I've received, winners are required to disclose their personal social security numbers and will receive a 1099-MISC reporting personal taxable income equal to the value of the prize. They estimate the value at $2,000+, so I'd be hit with a tax bill of more than $600. I could buy a ticket for less!

Anyone had any luck getting them to award the prize to a business or employer? I'd be happy to turn over my employer's EIN, but not my own SSN.

Feel free to PM me if that works better. As my boss says, "There's no such thing as a free puppy."

Thanks,
David

Last edited by IndyDavid; Aug 29, 2009 at 8:00 am
Old Aug 29, 2009, 9:07 am

Originally Posted by IndyDavid

According to the paperwork I've received, winners are required to disclose their personal social security numbers and will receive a 1099-MISC reporting personal taxable income equal to the value of the prize. They estimate the value at $2,000+, so I'd be hit with a tax bill of more than $600. I could buy a ticket for less!

Anyone had any luck getting them to award the prize to a business or employer? I'd be happy to turn over my employer's EIN, but not my own SSN.

Feel free to PM me if that works better. As my boss says, "There's no such thing as a free puppy."

Thanks,
David
Suggest you get a better accountant. Just because a company values something and sends the IRS documentation stating a value, you only have to declare what it is actually worth. So document the fact the prize is worth $600 and you can save $400 in tax.
Old Aug 29, 2009, 8:49 pm

I was hoping to pay $0 tax.
Old Aug 30, 2009, 5:41 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA Gold-MM, AA Gold-MM, F9-Silver, Hyatt Something, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by IndyDavid

Thanks,
David
I'm also concerned about how they are calculating the value. From my understanding, it is World Traverler to LHR and then WT+ on-wards. No way that's $1800 to London as the initial paperwork says.

I'm
Old Aug 30, 2009, 6:10 am

Originally Posted by hobo13
I'm also concerned about how they are calculating the value. From my understanding, it is World Traverler to LHR and then WT+ on-wards. No way that's $1800 to London as the initial paperwork says.

I'm
Why

I'm concerned about whether Notts County will get promoted but that has nothing to do with my taxes either
Old Aug 30, 2009, 6:56 am

Originally Posted by SteveinA2
I'm concerned about whether Notts County will get promoted but that has nothing to do with my taxes either
I think we get your point, Steve, but not everyone has the same tolerance for audit risk you do, and everyone values their time differently with regard to getting the IRS to file a Form 4598.

In my case, since my employer is a 501(c)(3) public charity, I could claim the full 1099-MISC amount as income and then claim the same amount as a charitable contribution, as long as my employer issued me a Form 8283.

I hope somebody can answer the original question about the legal recipient of the prize.

David
Old Aug 30, 2009, 9:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by SteveinA2
Suggest you get a better accountant. Just because a company values something and sends the IRS documentation stating a value, you only have to declare what it is actually worth. So document the fact the prize is worth $600 and you can save $400 in tax.
You could apply the argument that the prize is only marginally beneficial to you as it will add only a small value, say USD 2, to what could be achieved over the telephone. You can say that is why you entered the competition because buying a ticket was not worth it. Also, you can say that you are perfectly prepared to fly all over the world to get a USD 2 benefit and nobody can prove otherwise.
Old Sep 15, 2009, 4:52 pm

Programs: AA mm, Hilton Dime, Hyatt Xpl.& PC Plat, Miracle Fruit-su club
Any FTer's win the LAX flight? (I did not ) I believe emails were to go out last weekend.
Old Sep 16, 2009, 8:03 am

Programs: BAGold; AA3MMPlat; UA1MMGold; FBGold; MarriottAmb; AccorPlat; HHGold; ICPlatAmb; HyattDiscoverist
My winning friend emailed me that BA used a 747 for yesterday morning's flight from JFK.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.