Wiki Posts
Search

Interesting Ashes price promotion

Search this Thread

Old Jul 21, 2009, 4:36 am

Programs: BA Gold, M&M
Smile

I just got my confirmation as well..
£219 for about 50hours of flighttime and 2 days on the ground..

Wonder what the wife will say when I break this news...
Old Jul 21, 2009, 4:38 am
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Thats it, looks like they are all gone!

Regards

Pete
Old Jul 21, 2009, 4:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, BA, Mucci: Sir Roger des Directions Routières, PCR
Originally Posted by erebus
Wonder what the wife will say when I break this news...
Yes, it's a consideration. In the end, it's what stopped me confirming when I couldn't call her to OK the dates.

I noticed that the T+Cs for the QF offer allowed stopovers - except of course that if anybody had tried, the flights would have sold out in the meantime.
Old Jul 21, 2009, 4:45 am

I got one!!!!!!

Flights to Sydney? £215

Spending 10 days with my best friend who I haven't seen in nearly a year? Priceless!
Old Jul 21, 2009, 4:47 am

I looked 11.20 and tickets were still available. Had to do something, and was considering to book, but alas. Well, at least I wont endure 50 hours flying without any status any chance of an upgrade.
Old Jul 21, 2009, 4:53 am

Programs: BA Exec Blue, Virgin Silver, BMI Blue Plus, Iberia
I bailed out at the last minute too! Was on the credit card payment page and then thought it was a waste of £215 if I couldn't change the dates (interestingly it didn't say non trasferable to that point and had looked like £195 each way fare). Not sure if I could manage economy all the way to Australia - it's a long flight. Well done all those who bought. Wonder if you'll get any miles/ TP's? :-)
Old Jul 21, 2009, 4:53 am

Programs: Mucci, BMI*G, M&M SEN, FB Gold, PC Plat, Father of GhettoIFE
And thank you very much BA, QF and of course, the English and Austrailian Cricket teams.

1 x £214.90 + £4.50 fee purchased.

Long time since I've been to SYD.
Old Jul 21, 2009, 4:55 am
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

[QUOTE=Roger;12098028]Yes, it's a consideration. In the end, it's what stopped me confirming when I couldn't call her to OK the dates.

Similar, when I suggested a week down under (considering my son is away a school trip that week and an ill relative ) she declined despite us having holidays to take.

So much for compassion and romance !!!!!!!

Regards

Pete
Old Jul 21, 2009, 4:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: BA, VS, HH, IHG, MB, MR
Good look to those of you who got them - which would have been everyone on here, since they were hanging around for about 30 minutes it seems. I got one to the payment screen with no problems just to check.
Old Jul 21, 2009, 5:07 am

Programs: BA Gold (OWE), Bonvoy Gold, HH Diamond, PriorityPass, AX Plat
I would have been able to get BA flights in the end too, but decided against it as I would anyway have had to pay about £200:- more to get HEL-LHR-HEL-flights.

If I had succeeded getting A380 on QF I would have bit the bullet though... It would have been worth ~£420 for me! Too bad HEL is a long way from just about everywhere
Old Jul 21, 2009, 5:19 am

Couldnt book ticket

So for the lucky ones who managed to get a ticket what time did you book them ? I was trying from 10AM onwards, called BA at 10.20 who told me they were all sold out. Tried again at 10.50AM just to see and thought that was it. Anyone know why they said go-live was from 10AM ?

Cheers
Old Jul 21, 2009, 5:43 am

They were due to go live at 10 but notification then went out that was a technical problem so wouldn't be live until 11. I think they actually loaded about 11.20 but it was coming up at £195 each way, not £215 return. I only found out they were the ones to click when I decided to press proceed as an experiment. The reduced price was then shown at the "checkout".
Old Jul 21, 2009, 5:48 am

Originally Posted by entdoc
Wonder if you'll get any miles/ TP's? :-)
Booking says I'll get 5282 miles (blue).
Old Jul 21, 2009, 5:56 am

Notification

O well I never saw the notification not that I surprised they must run promotions like they run the airline.
Old Jul 21, 2009, 6:01 am

Programs: SQ PPS, Velocity member
Just thought -- isn't this the ultimate price-fixing attempt that went wrong by BA and QF.
I note that the two airlines decided the price was to be set by the Australian score and the number of tickets by the English first innings score. The number crunchers know their cricket, and were looking at,say, 300 tickets available at 650 quid each, and things wouldn't be so bad. Looking at the shambles of the England team during the first test match they thought can't be too much of a give-away here. Little did they know....
I also think we need to know whether Peter Siddle and Mitchell Johnson had their eye on a quick (cheap) trip home by bowling such utter garbage in the first innings and hence increasing the fare availability by each lousy over they threw down.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.