Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Apparent lounge cutbacks at LHR T5

Search this Thread

Old Mar 7, 2009, 1:51 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, Priority Club RA, Lots of other cards
Originally Posted by PUCCI GALORE
Nor do they stock Nobs, Nockers, or Playmates (yes I do know how to spell just minding the PC filter) - as you have overlooked those.
Nah hes more of a Daily Sport man
Old Mar 7, 2009, 2:23 pm

Programs: QF LTG, LH LT-FTL (HON till 02/25), AB-G†
I had the pleasure in the Galeries North lounge about two weeks ago.
(My Qualifying flight for QF-PLAT...).

The entrance ladies were nice as ever.
The food selection was good, but I was shocked about the staff:

There were some nearly empty bottles of water and one staff member filled all the rests in one bottle and put that bottle back.

The staff that was talking away the trays then came to my table and used it as a dish station. They sorted table and cutterly neatly on my table, just to save them to walk a bit more.

OK, I see things a bit critic, because this is the branche I work in, but that was definitly too much.

They were not unfriendly, but desperatly need some training.

The next time (next week) I have the chance to try the F-Lounge.

BTW: I love the new Munich Lounge, nice food and Bionade!
Old Mar 7, 2009, 2:46 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by London Dude
Also, why is it that most of the time the vast majority (>80%) of magazines in GF are specialty mags of no interest whatsoever to most people. I have seen titles I never knew even existed which probably have a circulation of 1,000 copies, and unfortunately often those are the only mags left in GF. Racks and racks of totally worthless rubbish. BTW amazingly the T5 arrivals lounge consistently has a far better selection of magazines and newspapers than GF.
It is more a factor of publishers than BA on the magazine side. Some changes in the way copies of magazines are counted on audit statements have made it less advantageous for publishers of paid circulation magazines to add "public place" circulation of "sponsored" copies in such places as lounges, doctors offices, hair/nail salons.

The proliferation of niche, controlled circulation magazines have given airlines more options.
Old Mar 7, 2009, 2:46 pm

Programs: BAEC GGL & CCR
Originally Posted by Tyrolean
There were some nearly empty bottles of water and one staff member filled all the rests in one bottle and put that bottle back.

Maybe that's what they've been 'trained' to do!?!

Who on Earth drinks water in a lounge anyway?
Old Mar 7, 2009, 2:50 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by Tyrolean
I suspect the staff you talk about are about as well trained in catering as I am in needlework. Most likely foreign workers willing to take any job going to make a few bob before moving on. If it wasn't for them there would be nobody to take their place.
Catering = Crap hours with low pay in the UK most of the time.
Old Mar 7, 2009, 4:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/LTP, BA GGL/CCR/GfL, HH D/LTD, SPG/MR Plat/LTP
Originally Posted by Raffles
Ms Raffles brought me back an Economist last Wednesday so they do still exist!
Lucky You! Ms onobond brought me back a Chartered Accountant three weeks ago.
Old Mar 7, 2009, 4:33 pm

Programs: BAEC GGL & CCR
Oops! Wrong wha-cha-ma-call-it!
Old Mar 7, 2009, 5:25 pm

Well, this evening in GF there were copies of Arena, GQ etc and more Economist Magazines than a person could ever wish for. And, we were serving Boli Grand again.......
Old Mar 7, 2009, 6:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by HIDDY
Never taken a magazine from a lounge in my life. They don't stock Trout and Salmon, The Field or Caravan monthly.
Are these real magazines.

They sound more like a Have I Got News For You feature.
Old Mar 7, 2009, 7:02 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Silver; Muccis du Monde des Peluches
Originally Posted by Swanhunter
Are these real magazines.
I think that The Field is quite a well-known magazine in the country. It's all about how and where to kill foxes as I recall. I used to have friends who did that sort of thing a lot, although I never did myself.

I still have the friends, but they seem mostly to have lost interest in foxes. In one case I think it is because the opportunities to ride to hounds in Manhattan are sadly rather limited, although it is a nice thought. I imagine in Argentina, being a nation of such keen horsemen, the opportunities for Hiddy are endless.
Old Mar 7, 2009, 7:12 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by LeisureFirst
I imagine in Argentina, being a nation of such keen horsemen, the opportunities for Hiddy are endless.
Ignore Swanhunter he's taking the hit and miss. He just doesn't know what's .

LeisureFirst - No foxes where I stay but still a few pumas in fact we have the stuffed head of one up on the wall. Wife's dad was a bit of a hunter.The only shooting I do is with a camera. ^
Old Mar 7, 2009, 7:17 pm

Programs: Mucci Entry Level, BA Gold, EK Pleb, SK Pleb, QR Pleb
Magazines?

I think that comes last on my list of what I want from a lounge.

1. Space and comfort
2. Drinks and snacks
3. Wifi
4. Power outlets
5. Breakfast/Lunch/Dinner
6. Workplace with printers
7. Showers
8. Outside view/windows
9. Newspapers
10. Magazines

Galleries LHR excels in every area, well I do hate the bacon rolls for breakfast. A proper English breakfast buffe would be nicer.

GF is better on 1, 2 and 6 compared to galleries club. But I can't say that the lack of magazines disturbs me much.
Old Mar 7, 2009, 8:05 pm

Programs: BA Gold/Marriott Gold/HH Diamond/IC Plat Amba
On my last trip through Galleries there did seem to be a quite dramatic cutback in the self important blowhards wandering around the lounge loudly talking into their mobiles. It was actually a very relaxing and pleasant experience for a change. Perhaps not the best thing for BA's bottom line unfortunately.
Old Mar 8, 2009, 12:43 am

Programs: Lord OPebble - Mucci of the Hour. Diamond Class MUCCI.Chevalier du Circle Intime de Pucci
Originally Posted by PUCCI GALORE
Isn't that lift up to the Lounge (or down to the Crown Room or whatever occupies it since the abdication to LHR) the world's slowest?
I suggest a good contender for the slowest lift is the one at FRA T2 from departures down to the BA Lounge. Also it can only take 8 people in very inimate proximity or 4 CE PAX with wheelies!
Old Mar 8, 2009, 4:10 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, SPG Gold, Hilton Diamond, Accor Platinum
..sticks head above parapet....I have absolutely no complaints from my visits to T5 Galleries - plenty of food, magazines, newspapers and efficient staff

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.