Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Krispy Kreme doughnuts through T5 Security

Search this Thread

Old Mar 4, 2009, 11:39 pm

Originally Posted by chris1979
agree it's hit and miss.

<snip>....i didnt even realise it but of course i had taken the CW amenities bag with me and put it into my bag and i guess it has the usual mini items of liquid. no word at all when i went through T5 security 2 days later with it
very hit & miss. At LAX they searched my bag having identified something on the x-ray screen they didn't like, and produced a packet of blister plasters. (compeed, they look like plastic, totally dry other than the adhesive). I opened one up and showed exactly what they were, but no, they were liquids that day!

But they totally overlooked the over-100ml-shampoo that was in there. I'd forgotten it, but saw it when they were fishing out the lethal-plasters!
Old Mar 4, 2009, 11:52 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: Battleaxe Alliance
Originally Posted by heckenhocker
very hit & miss. At LAX they searched my bag having identified something on the x-ray screen they didn't like, and produced a packet of blister plasters. (compeed, they look like plastic, totally dry other than the adhesive). I opened one up and showed exactly what they were, but no, they were liquids that day!
Even adhesive doesn't seem like liquid to me. I'm a bit shocked at the 'Compeed Incident' - that really shows how weirdly the 'liquid rules' are being interpreted.
Old Mar 5, 2009, 1:07 am

Originally Posted by LTN Phobia
Same in Australia. Yet they didn't have any issue with my pens, or my words. One can smear with words, right?
For that to take place, you'd have to be in possession of a rather sharp tongue! Double whammy!! Off to prison with you!

Last edited by Nyghtwing; Mar 5, 2009 at 1:16 am
Old Mar 5, 2009, 1:11 am

Originally Posted by KD5MDK
I am glad our culinary imperialism is continuing.

Originally Posted by KD5MDK
However, nothing beats a good cake donut.
Indubitably.

... with proper cup of tea of course.

Old Mar 5, 2009, 1:36 am
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: AY Plat (OWE), Bonvoy Gold, ALL Silver
Originally Posted by heckenhocker
In US it was to a women asking about lipstick, in Helsinki it was to a man with some sort of hair product - he unscrewed the lid held is upside down and shook it to demonstrate how non-liquid it was. But not accepted.http://www.theregister.co.uk/2006/12...ughnut_danger/
It's not only liquids but also gels that are not allowed through security ~(usual 100 ml total fit 1,000 ml bag etc)...

I find it pitiful when passengers try to convince security that "their" gel or liquid is ok to bring onboard. Get over it and don't do it again. You're holding up the line and wasting the security guards concentration and time (as well as your fellow passengers)...

In fact it has the opposite effect. Someone trying to get something onboard at any cost seem suspicious and should def not be allowed on at all.
Old Mar 5, 2009, 1:58 am

I'd like to know:

Is there a scientific definition of what constitutes "liquid / gel / cream"?

Originally Posted by Nyghtwing
For that to take place, you'd have to be in possession of a rather sharp tongue! Double whammy!! Off to prison with you!
Old Mar 5, 2009, 1:58 am

Programs: AY Plat, SK Silver, FB Gold
Originally Posted by Cupart
It's not only liquids but also gels that are not allowed through security ~(usual 100 ml total fit 1,000 ml bag etc)...
How about hair wax?

From Austria I've been allowed (INN and VIE airports) to transport Manner's Sacher cake icing which comes in 2dl yoghurt type cups. It's somewhat solid at 20C but becomes liquid over 40-50C.
Old Mar 5, 2009, 12:13 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC
Thanks for the replied everyone. The Mrs has always wanted to try their doughnuts and she has convinced me to pick some up and take them back to GLA. We will both have to run 15k on Saturday morning instead of our usual 12k to make up for it!

I will post back how I get on.
Old Mar 5, 2009, 2:01 pm

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by JuPe
How about hair wax?

From Austria I've been allowed (INN and VIE airports) to transport Manner's Sacher cake icing which comes in 2dl yoghurt type cups. It's somewhat solid at 20C but becomes liquid over 40-50C.
I had a 150 ml container which was about 1/4 full of hair stuff confiscated at MAN the other week. Bought some more airside and just left it in carry on rather than put it in placcy bag for the next 5 flights with no problem.
Old Mar 5, 2009, 2:08 pm

Originally Posted by Cosby

I will post back how I get on.
If you have a problem, there is a KK airside at LTN (and they do have GLA flights), if you dare to fly out of there one day.
Old Mar 5, 2009, 6:39 pm

Programs: Virgin Silver, BA Blue, HHonors, Priority Club
I am amazed that with the Glaswegian love of all things overly calorific (deep fried Mars Bars anyone?) that there hasn't been a branch of Krispy Kremes opened there yet.

I am rather fond of the ones with butterscotch icing and vanilla filling inside...
Old Mar 6, 2009, 1:39 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC
Sucess! I took a a selection of 12 (she was a good saleswoman!) no bother today.

Only rant was BAA 'security'. I have gone countless times through the metal detectors with my belt on, and today I got pulled up for it. No one asked me to remove it at the start of the conveyor and only the guy that patted me down said they have increased the sensitivity on the detectors. Apparently my slim belt buckle and possibly my watch are a security risk.

Also after BAA saying you can leave laptops in bags, you have to take them out again! WHY?????

Finally, how nice is the Red Thai curry in the Galleries lounge...

Last edited by Cosby; Mar 6, 2009 at 1:57 pm Reason: Typo
Old Mar 6, 2009, 1:51 pm

cool....rather tempted to take some on my next trip to offset the boredom of room service for the umpteenth time in the regular hotels
Old Mar 6, 2009, 2:00 pm

Programs: BA-Gold
Originally Posted by Cosby
Oh and how nice is the Red Thai curry in the Galleries lounge...
Finally
I love the lounge curry, with a nice glass of red.

Soon after the liquids ban came into force a former college of mine was going through security in Frankfurt in front of me and pulled out a couple of big oranges. He asked if he could take them through to the security guy who looked rather puzzled. He then went on to explain his thinking was they contained juice which was a liquid. He got told he could take them, but he insisted that it was a stupid rule as he could have easily injected them with something. I promptly gave him a kick up the backside before he got dragged off to the “special room”.
Old Mar 6, 2009, 3:05 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by voracious violinist
I am amazed that with the Glaswegian love of all things overly calorific (deep fried Mars Bars anyone?) that there hasn't been a branch of Krispy Kremes opened there yet.
Is Krispy Kreme doughnuts just a reincarnation of Dunkin Donuts? There used to be several of them in Glasgow before they all shut up and left for some reason.

I am a Glaswegian and I have never had a deep fried Mars Bar in my life neither has 99.9% of the population of Glasgow.....it's all a myth.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.