Community
Wiki Posts
Search

NASTY AIRMILES changes!!

Search this Thread

Old May 26, 2009, 4:54 pm
Original Poster

Programs: HiltonH. Gold Starwood Gold BA BLUES! Mucci.
Good call Simon..... I was young once!!!!
But a worrying development for those of us that use / collect both AIRMILES and BAMILES
Old Jun 10, 2009, 12:26 am

Programs: BAEC redundant Bronze, AAdvantage Lifetime PLT, CO, WN, B6
Foreign Credit Card addresses & on-line retailers?

I have a few thousand Air Miles that will expire this year so I figured I'd buy something from one of the on-line retailers and have it shipped to my UK address. Unfortunately all my credit cards are bill in the US and everytime I try to create an account the retailers insist the billing address be in the UK. My card then gets declined, which I assume is probably because the addresses don't match. I don't get this problem with retailers like Amazon who are outside the Air Miles scheme, so does anyone any ideas how to work round this?
Old Jun 10, 2009, 1:59 am

Originally Posted by bernardd

I have a few thousand Air Miles that will expire this year so I figured I'd buy something from one of the on-line retailers and have it shipped to my UK address. Unfortunately all my credit cards are bill in the US and everytime I try to create an account the retailers insist the billing address be in the UK. My card then gets declined, which I assume is probably because the addresses don't match. I don't get this problem with retailers like Amazon who are outside the Air Miles scheme, so does anyone any ideas how to work round this?
I'm guessing you are saying that you want to make a purchase through the airmiles site to prevent your miles expiring, but cant due to us credit card issues?

If that is the case, all you need to do is set up a paypal account. Then loads funds to it through your us credit card.

Then log into airmiles and go to a retailer that accepts pay pal. DABS.com is one of them.

buy your self some computer stuff for a tenner and pay with pay pay. a month later you will get your 1 mile credited and your airmiles account lives on.....
Old Jun 10, 2009, 3:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: BA, VS, HH, IHG, MB, MR
Originally Posted by bernardd

I have a few thousand Air Miles that will expire this year so I figured I'd buy something from one of the on-line retailers and have it shipped to my UK address ....
You MIGHT also find that an Amex card is OK as they tend to have odd address checking software. Put in your normal address but leave the country as UK and see if it goes through.

I have used UK Amex cards for promos that required a US credit card before with no problems.
Old Jun 28, 2009, 2:52 am

Programs: Bonvoy Gold, AA Plat, Volare Premier, VS Silver, National Emerald Elite, Hertz President Circle
Originally Posted by Raffles
Only to redeem the 1,500 miles that come with the credit card - these are ring fenced.

And you can always do what I did with my 1,500 miles - book the cheapest dump they have in Berlin and then book yourself in somewhere decent where you have status!
Trying to do this but you do need to book in the city of destination. The terms simply state country of destination OR origin but when trying online it brings back the city of destination.
Old Jun 28, 2009, 8:32 am

Programs: BA Gold (and many other greater and lesser distinctions)
Originally Posted by MileHighLawyer
If my bank suddenly closed my current account because I hadn't withdrawn any money for two years, I'd not be very happy...

I have recently had a letter from HSBC threatening to do exactly that after around 6 months inactivity !!
Old Jun 28, 2009, 8:37 am

Programs: BA Gold (and many other greater and lesser distinctions)
If Andrew (or anyone else is still following this): How about offering EC members the opportunity of converting to BA miles ? That way an odd ragbag of unusuable airmiles might actually have some value, old accounts would be cleared away and everyone would be happy (depending on the conversion rate).
Old Jun 28, 2009, 9:23 am

Programs: Lifetime Platinum
FWIW

Only two 'improvements' I would like to see,
One way redemptions, and bring back the old AirMiles forum.

ps How refershing to having input from 'the top.'
Old Jun 28, 2009, 10:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, BA, Mucci: Sir Roger des Directions Routières, PCR
Originally Posted by Frequentflyer99
How about offering EC members the opportunity of converting to BA miles ?
Anybody remember the launch of BA Miles?

Air Miles could be converted to BA Miles at a ratio of 1:10 with a temporary offer of 1:14. I doubt that we would see a similar offer today.
Old Aug 27, 2009, 3:37 am

Programs: Bonvoy Gold, AA Plat, Volare Premier, VS Silver, National Emerald Elite, Hertz President Circle
Given that airmiles are awarded on cash purchases on airmiles.co.uk at the rate of 1airmile per 5pounds spent, all things being equal (ie same flight being offered), why should I be purchasing a cash ticket on ba.com rather than on airmiles.co.uk?
Old Aug 27, 2009, 3:44 am

Programs: BA Gold, QF LTG
Originally Posted by wobbly wings
Given that airmiles are awarded on cash purchases on airmiles.co.uk at the rate of 1airmile per 5pounds spent, all things being equal (ie same flight being offered), why should I be purchasing a cash ticket on ba.com rather than on airmiles.co.uk?
It's a good question. Since joining Airmiles I now make all of my BA flight bookings on Airmiles.co.uk, or if I can't get the fare online I go through the call centre. One other (small) advantage I have noticed is that the credit card fee seems to come out less than on ba.com. It seems to be a percentage of the fare, rather than a flat fee per booking. So far I've only booked short haul BA flights this way, so it would be interesting to see how the credit card fees work out on long haul bookings.
Old Aug 27, 2009, 3:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: BA, VS, HH, IHG, MB, MR
Potentially a) triple BA Miles on the BA Amex via ba.com (assuming an Air Miles purchase goes through your card as Air Miles and not BA) and b) ability to MFU or purchase an upgrade in advance (assuming a sale through Air Miles is not treated as a direct purchase from BA, despite the common ownership).
Old Aug 27, 2009, 3:58 am

Originally Posted by Raffles
Potentially a) triple BA Miles on the BA Amex via ba.com (assuming an Air Miles purchase goes through your card as Air Miles and not BA) and b) ability to MFU or purchase an upgrade in advance (assuming a sale through Air Miles is not treated as a direct purchase from BA, despite the common ownership).
Yes, that's what I was thinking about. But we know in some cases we do get triple miles from other resellers as well and the same for MFUs. If no one has experience on either I'll try a couple of bookings and report the result here.
Old Aug 27, 2009, 4:57 am

Programs: BAEC Silver,clubcard,clubcard plus, BA Amex................ And Mucci x3 ;)

Tis a good question!

one answered below, but also worth keeping in mind that Airmiles do other travel services other than Flights and hotels ! My parents are in the process of looking to book another cruise for next year, Airmiles are prepared to price match any other price they are offered, the package they will sell them will include BA flights to and from the cruise (ba miles from flights), allow them to use an amex (dont think that they have a cc charge) and also award them airmiles for the purchase.

Certainly worth a look and a phone call if your looking to book anything like this.

CS
Old Jul 31, 2010, 5:48 am

Programs: BA
Recent Airmiles changes

With the recent speculation on the devaluation of Airmiles I hoping we may get some clarification from Andrew by re activating this thread.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.