Community
Wiki Posts
Search

NASTY AIRMILES changes!!

Search this Thread

Old Jan 26, 2009, 1:24 pm
Original Poster

Programs: HiltonH. Gold Starwood Gold BA BLUES! Mucci.
NASTY AIRMILES changes!!

AIRMILES, part of the British Airways family, have made a number of changes to it's Terms and Conditions.....
If you havn't had AIRMILES credited to an account for a year, booking with them will result in a fee of £30.
Worse, IMHO, -If you havn't had any miles credited for two years, you lose ALL the AIRMILES in the account.
I appreciate that the airline had rubbish financials out today, and it may be trying to limit it's liability, avoid servicing costs of dormant accounts etc.... But I will be complaining!!!
Old Jan 26, 2009, 1:27 pm
BOH

Programs: IC Hotels Spire, BA Gold
Originally Posted by Skipcool3
AIRMILES, part of the British Airways family, have made a number of changes to it's Terms and Conditions.....
If you havn't had AIRMILES credited to an account for a year, booking with them will result in a fee of £30.
Worse, IMHO, -If you havn't had any miles credited for two years, you lose ALL the AIRMILES in the account.
I appreciate that the airline had rubbish financials out today, and it may be trying to limit it's liability, avoid servicing costs of dormant accounts etc.... But I will be complaining!!!
I knew about the first one - but only cos I just had to pay the £30 for a redemption But I didn't know about the second one - how are account holders being informed of these changes?
Old Jan 26, 2009, 1:37 pm
Original Poster

I havn't been e-mailed about the change, but I looked at the "deals of the week" today and the change is on the AIRMILES homepage....
It is very clear, you can't keep the account alive by spend activity, only by crediting AIRMILES to the account.
Old Jan 26, 2009, 1:49 pm

Programs: BA Gold....er now Silver...er now Bronze....er now Blue
very easy to resolve - buy a DVD or something via their shopping portal and Roberts your uncle. A few miles credited.
Old Jan 26, 2009, 1:58 pm

Programs: BAEC, Blue for now.
I thought BA Sold Airmiles a long time ago.
Old Jan 26, 2009, 2:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: BA, VS, HH, IHG, MB, MR
Originally Posted by Gumbieben
I thought BA Sold Airmiles a long time ago.
No. Every few years they try, and every few years they disagree with a different private equity house about how to value the unredeemed miles.

Closing accounts after 2 years will make it a LOT easier to sell the business. For a start, Air Miles can then bank the full profit from originally selling those particular miles to Tesco etc without having to show any corresponding liability.
Old Jan 26, 2009, 3:08 pm
Original Poster

Raffles is of course "on the money" with his analysis of this change, and whilst I understand irmsters view that it is very easy to credit a few miles to an account, there will be many people, some with quite large AIRMILES balances, who are just sitting on them.... believing that they will be able to use them at some stage in the future.... which they won't!!
Old Jan 26, 2009, 3:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Thanks for the heads up. I am the typical kind of person who would have been affected by that. My account has been dormant for years (in fact, the address on my profile is one that I left over 4 years ago).

On the spend side, as far as I can see, it is not possible to book oneway flights with airmiles, is it?

Oh, and another question: any info as to when the new policy kicks into place? My account has not been zeroed out even though I have not credited anything in the last couple of years.

Last edited by NickB; Jan 26, 2009 at 3:44 pm
Old Jan 26, 2009, 4:26 pm

Programs: BA Gold
Thanks from me too for the warning. They really ought to make the change more clear to collectors - but that's the way the game's played I suppose.
Old Jan 26, 2009, 5:07 pm

Programs: MUCCI - Order of the Diamond Hairbrush and Champion of Queens,BA Broon,HH Diamond,PC Plat,BA Amex
NickB

You are quite correct, one way flights are not possible with Air Miles (other than the obvious of buying a return and binning the return sector)
Old Jan 27, 2009, 2:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Thanks for the warning! I can see a good use for the smaller of my two Tesco Clubcard vouchers once a year.
Old Jan 27, 2009, 3:15 am
uk1
Suspended

I would have thought an easy way to keep the account going is to get the credit card and put a transaction through at least every year or so.
Old Jan 27, 2009, 3:54 am

Programs: BA Blue. 19695 Lifetime TPs
Thanks to the OP for the heads-up: I would have missed this. Time to buy a book I've been promising myself from Waterstones!
Old Jan 27, 2009, 6:47 am

Programs: Bonvoy Gold, AA Plat, Volare Premier, VS Silver, National Emerald Elite, Hertz President Circle
Not in the programme, but don't you also have to book a hotel with them to redeem against flights?
Old Jan 27, 2009, 7:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: BA, VS, HH, IHG, MB, MR
Originally Posted by wobbly wings
Not in the programme, but don't you also have to book a hotel with them to redeem against flights?
Only to redeem the 1,500 miles that come with the credit card - these are ring fenced.

And you can always do what I did with my 1,500 miles - book the cheapest dump they have in Berlin and then book yourself in somewhere decent where you have status!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.