Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Tesco and BA [2009 archive]

Search this Thread

Old Jan 14, 2009, 1:17 pm

Was going to pay my tax online and it seems the HMRC accept Visa but charge 1.25%. So if I use my Tesco Visa for say £10k tax, then its 16k BA miles for £125. Is it worth it? Seems borderline to me; any opinions?
Old Jan 14, 2009, 2:01 pm

Programs: BA Executive Club
Originally Posted by kryten22uk
Was going to pay my tax online and it seems the HMRC accept Visa but charge 1.25%. So if I use my Tesco Visa for say £10k tax, then its 16k BA miles for £125. Is it worth it? Seems borderline to me; any opinions?
Cheaper than buying them from BA isn't it (which I have done for the last couple of years to get the best value from my 2-4-1 or the 50% miles sale), so I think so.
Old Jan 15, 2009, 1:48 am

Programs: BA Gold, VS Gold, HH Diamond, SPG Gold
I have noticed that the 'My Account' section has shown some erronous numbers recently, when I have called customer services they read me the right balance but the website shows something different. My points went down last week after doing a shop, then went back up again to their previous (pre-shop) balance. Might be worth an email to CS.
Old Jan 15, 2009, 3:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: BA, VS, HH, IHG, MB, MR
Would be better if you'd got the premium BMI Mastercard, where 10k tax would get you 20,000 miles which is a one-way J ticket to the US (cash and miles) for 125 quid.
Old Jan 15, 2009, 3:59 am

Originally Posted by Raffles
Would be better if you'd got the premium BMI Mastercard, where 10k tax would get you 20,000 miles which is a one-way J ticket to the US (cash and miles) for 125 quid.
I've got too many bmi miles as it is. I've already booked a couple of F trips in 2009 with bmi miles (even using Miles only) to use them up. Don’t really have any scope for further 2009 holidays, and didn’t want to top up bmi for the sake of it incase they become defunct prior to 2010.

So was just going to top up BA as I always need those.
Old Jan 15, 2009, 10:51 am

Programs: BA GGL
How do you get 1.6 BA miles per pound?
Old Jan 15, 2009, 12:04 pm

Programs: BA - Gold for Life, CCR & GGL; IC Spire Elite Ambassador; Diamond Hilton Honors; Hyatt Discoverist
Just received the Healthy Living Club vouchers.

50p off fruit, Danone Activia, magazines, roule cheese and 40p off quorn+ competition entry.

No extra clubcard points at all.

Don't they realise that I want points and do not want to save money?
Old Jan 15, 2009, 1:12 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold, Marriott Plat, ICH Plat, HH Gold
Originally Posted by TravellerFrequently
No extra clubcard points at all.
Straight after I noticed that I did sent off an email to tesco customer relations
Old Jan 15, 2009, 1:14 pm

Programs: BA Executive Club, Bronze
Originally Posted by frankvb
Straight after I noticed that I did sent off an email to tesco customer relations
Why? Most people aren't interested in points, they'd rather save money in these economic times, hence the money off coupons.

Points are only a bonus, not an entitlement.

Although I am gutted myself
Old Jan 15, 2009, 2:08 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold, Marriott Plat, ICH Plat, HH Gold
Originally Posted by Furton
Why? Most people aren't interested in points, they'd rather save money in these economic times, hence the money off coupons.
If you're after the discount, the points convert 1-to-1 into pennies. So by changing the coupons to money-only, tesco is simply limiting the options (which are e.g. getting 4 times the value for amusement park entry etc.). Granted you will have to wait until the end of the quarter (but the same holds true for the regular clubcard points, they may as well scrap the scheme and give everyone with a clubcard 1% discount).

Correct that the points are a bonus, however the idea is to make people spend more and have store loyalty by giving them out. If you don't give them, those 2 advantages will go away.
Old Jan 15, 2009, 2:57 pm

Originally Posted by vindaloo
How do you get 1.6 BA miles per pound?
I get 0.5 tesco points per pound on any spend on my Tesco Visa, and I get 3.2 BA Miles per Tesco point, hence 1.6 BA per £1. ^

All preferential rates due to being hot on the Tesco game since 2001.
Old Jan 15, 2009, 3:40 pm

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold, Hilton Silver
Raffles' suggestion has a pleasing symmetry to it. And bring loadsa gear back with the increased HMRC limits to put a small cherry on top of the cake.
Old Jan 15, 2009, 5:02 pm

Shell Drivers Club

I managed to change my rewards preference online from Airmiles to BA Miles last month. But I had to register via airmiles originally. I still think Tesco is better value as Shell give me 1 mile with every £2 spent. Tesco give me 4.8 miles per £2.
Old Jan 16, 2009, 3:37 am

Programs: BA GGL
I get 0.5 tesco points per pound on any spend on my Tesco Visa, and I get 3.2 BA Miles per Tesco point, hence 1.6 BA per £1. ^

All preferential rates due to being hot on the Tesco game since 2001.
Fair play. I knew about the grandfathered rates on the credit card but not about the 3.2 conversion rate. So you're actually getting a marginally better rate of return than the Amex PP, although for smaller transactions you lose a bit in the rounding. Definitely sounds as though it's worth paying HMRC that way though. Wish I were on the same deal, since I have a pretty chunky tax bill this year.
Old Jan 16, 2009, 5:35 am

Programs: BAEC, Skywards, KLM
Originally Posted by vindaloo
Fair play. I knew about the grandfathered rates on the credit card but not about the 3.2 conversion rate. So you're actually getting a marginally better rate of return than the Amex PP, although for smaller transactions you lose a bit in the rounding. Definitely sounds as though it's worth paying HMRC that way though. Wish I were on the same deal, since I have a pretty chunky tax bill this year.
Yes, and so it's worth moving to the Tesco card once your £10000 has been reached on the Amex, until the new Amex year begins.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.