Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Tesco and BA [2009 archive]

Search this Thread

Old Jan 9, 2009, 4:06 am

Programs: BA Silver, HH Silver.
With the ever more useless points promos our spend with Tesco is down dramatically, lets hope everybody else is doing the same.
Mrs JP was going to order something from extra yesterday, it was just over £25 so free delivery to home or the store (she was going to pick it up to save waiting in at home for the delivery).When she got to the check out it proudly stated the price had been discounted by 2.5% because tesco were passing on the new VAT rate, result under £25 so delivery to the shop for pick-up is £4 something extra.
Old Jan 9, 2009, 4:10 am

I also think Tesco quality has gone down as they cut prices. In the past couple of weeks their value kitchen towel changed (thinner and smelling of bleach when wet), the curries have become poorer, a jar of grilled aubergine was so tough it was inedible and some while ago their pizzas changed too.

Someone once commented that Tesco could only fail if the management started to believe their own established opinions and forgot the needs of the customer; perhaps they are now doing this?
Old Jan 9, 2009, 4:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: BA, VS, HH, IHG, MB, MR
Interestingly (or not), I bought some Sainsbury kitchen roll recently and was slightly surprised to see it was noticeably shorter than the Waitrose kitchen roll it replaced! Cost cutting everywhere ....
Old Jan 9, 2009, 4:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, BA, Mucci: Sir Roger des Directions Routières, PCR
Yes. What I find poor is branded goods suppliers downsizing - the volume or weight, not the package - and charging the same price. There have been articles in marketing magazines recently saying that's how some suppliers are coping with the downturn.
Old Jan 9, 2009, 4:30 am
dsf

Programs: Nowt of note.
Originally Posted by uk1
I need a little box to put the card in to get the code to do on-line payments. So I had to order one. Some web sites have said people are waiting yonks for the box. Evidently on-line requests for the box were misdirected and lost. People waited for a box that didn;t arrive.
My card reader arrived about 3 weeks after I'd closed the account.
Old Jan 9, 2009, 4:34 am

Programs: AA, BA, UAL, NZ, QF, LH, SPG, IHG, HH, Marriott etc etc
Originally Posted by Corpt
OK, shame, but thanks for clarifying...
Shell drivers club was a massive time-eater, took several months of emails requesting BA Miles transfer, then when Airmiles became more valuable (incl surcharges/taxes) I gave up and received the equivalent Airmiles within days. 3 months later I got the 1000 BA miles backdated out of the blue :-) Unless Shell is super convenient and cheaply priced I would avoid (and it seems BA Miles not available to new users)!
Old Jan 9, 2009, 4:41 am

Programs: AA, BA, UAL, NZ, QF, LH, SPG, IHG, HH, Marriott etc etc
Question how long before clubcard points post from tesco finance?

They seem to have stopped offering them to new accounts, and FAQ don't help here. Opened Internet Saver before the deadline, but have not received yet..anyone remember when these 1500/2k points post?

Last edited by carpmawj; Jan 9, 2009 at 4:41 am Reason: typo
Old Jan 9, 2009, 5:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: BA, VS, HH, IHG, MB, MR
Last time they ran the savings promo they posted the points late and they missed the cut-off for the Aug statement so points came in November.
Old Jan 9, 2009, 6:44 am
uk1
Suspended

Originally Posted by Shuttle-Bored
OT, but if you've got an RBS or Natwest account (or know someone who has), try that little box with your Tesco account. I know the Natwest/RBS ones are compatible with accounts at the other, and given that Tesco Personal Finance was (is - pending sale) a joint venture with the two, I'd imagine that it might just work....
Thanks - yes - I've got the Nationwide box, but the system seems to know I've not been sent the box yet (it has a picture of the box with a line through it saying "you haven't got a box"!) so won't allow me to try it!

Thanks anyway - appreciated.

On the wider subject emerging - I am really pleased other FT blokes and blokesses are owning up without any sign of embarrassment of "doing the shopping" and being all domesticated like. I wondered what others would think of my interest in things like Ocado. I needn't have been concerned. They do Square Pies. Kosher Blooms Frankfurters. Charlie Brighams Indonesian ...............................
Old Jan 9, 2009, 8:14 am

Programs: CX Gold, SPG Plat, PC Plat, TAP Gold
Originally Posted by Roger
I'm glad I have the old card offering 1 point per full £ at Tesco stores, tesco.com and Tesco Travel
This offer went a long time ago, certainly for store purchases.
Old Jan 9, 2009, 8:16 am

Programs: BA Executive Club, Bronze
Originally Posted by carpmawj
They seem to have stopped offering them to new accounts, and FAQ don't help here. Opened Internet Saver before the deadline, but have not received yet..anyone remember when these 1500/2k points post?
For me they only posted when the statement came through.
Old Jan 9, 2009, 8:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, BA, Mucci: Sir Roger des Directions Routières, PCR
Originally Posted by oyster
This offer went a long time ago, certainly for store purchases.
Really? I haven't received any notice of change to the T+Cs and recent purchases were credited 1:1. Are we talking about the same card? Mine's the 'Finest' = platinum Visa.

If true, it would certainly diminish Tesco's relevance to me.
Old Jan 9, 2009, 9:44 am

Originally Posted by uk1
As a consequence we have just received our first order from Ocado. Absolute chalk and cheese....

The winds of change .................
I've used Ocado for many years but occassionally had Tesco's delivery when they had good offer codes. Last time, I ordered twelve 1l bottles of water, Tesco's delivered none, and I was told by CS that this probably happened as it was against the "fair usage" limit of 6 of any article ordered. What? Why allow me to order 12? Why deliver none? (they could at least have sent 6? And one of the key points of online ordering (I assume) is to stock up with heavy, bulk, items for the next week, two weeks or month or whatever period you use.

As uk1 pointed out the Ocado user interface is a LOT better, and the service is better. I am willing to sacrifice the few extra BA miles that are on offer nowadays!
Old Jan 9, 2009, 9:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by mka5
I've used Ocado for many years but occassionally had Tesco's delivery when they had good offer codes. Last time, I ordered twelve 1l bottles of water, Tesco's delivered none, and I was told by CS that this probably happened as it was against the "fair usage" limit of 6 of any article ordered. What? Why allow me to order 12? Why deliver none? (they could at least have sent 6? And one of the key points of online ordering (I assume) is to stock up with heavy, bulk, items for the next week, two weeks or month or whatever period you use.
I tried Tesco delivery a couple of times, and they failed to deliver any more than a fraction of what I'd ordered. Like you, I think that delivery is ideal for lots of heavy items bought in bulk; otherwise, the hassle of organising delivery (or more accurately organising having to be at home at a fixed time) was just too much. But it's no good if you have to be at home at a fixed time, and then the goods just don't turn up.

When I discovered that Ocado will deliver 40 litres of water at once - and do so reliably every time - it became the only delivery service I use.
Old Jan 11, 2009, 7:18 am

Programs: BA Gold, VS Gold, HH Diamond, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by vanmunchen
I tried to sign up for that but on doing so the site said "We're sorry, but the promotion code you've entered has now expired" although according to the terms and conditions the offer is valid until 31 January 2009.
This appears to be working again now. (Tesco DVD Rental offer on the first page)

I've just signed up with the same 'NOV' promo code. Hopefully the miles will credit, if not, at least I get a few films to watch.

Last edited by LaydeeSarah; Jan 11, 2009 at 7:25 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.