Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The 2009 BA Champagne (and Wine) Thread

Search this Thread

Old Jan 16, 2009, 4:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci, BA LTG + GGL, SPG LTP, HHonors Diamond, IHG Spire Ambassador
If it wasn't offered you could/should have definitely asked for it. AMS is a very short route and they often seem to combine the service to get it all done in time, serving you the meal and asking for your drink choice at the same time. On longer routes (search for the service standards thread for each band if you're really keen!) the drinks service (with Champagne set out on the trolley, wine choices offered by type not just 'red or white', etc.) is more leisurely and obvious. Also, at breakfast time IIRC the service standard is to serve the breakfast and 'Champagne on request'. Based on the simple truth that "it's never too early for Champagne" I nearly always ask for it with the Club Europe Lardfast unless I have a meeting to go to immediately or something awful like that
Old Jan 16, 2009, 4:12 pm

Programs: BA - Gold for Life, CCR & GGL; IC Spire Elite Ambassador; Diamond Hilton Honors; Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by G-BOAC
If it wasn't offered you could/should have definitely asked for it. AMS is a very short route and they often seem to combine the service to get it all done in time, serving you the meal and asking for your drink choice at the same time. On longer routes (search for the service standards thread for each band if you're really keen!) the drinks service (with Champagne set out on the trolley, wine choices offered by type not just 'red or white', etc.) is more leisurely and obvious. Also, at breakfast time IIRC the service standard is to serve the breakfast and 'Champagne on request'. Based on the simple truth that "it's never too early for Champagne" I nearly always ask for it with the Club Europe Lardfast unless I have a meeting to go to immediately or something awful like that
^ ^

IME, I think that the champagne is sometimes not on display, especially on the short (AMS, CDG) flights and is within the trolley rather than on top. As a result, some will not be aware that it is available.
Old Jan 16, 2009, 4:16 pm

Programs: ba gold
WELL .. i did consider to ask on the first flight out of lcy to Dub
.. it was only 7am!
Old Jan 19, 2009, 4:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Chateau Langoa-Barton 1999 spotted in the Galleries Club one evening last week. Obviously, quite a few people in the lounge were impressed by its availability, as it was clearly the red wine of choice. I walked around much more of the lounge than usual when foraging for refills.
Old Jan 21, 2009, 4:12 pm

Programs: Delta DM 1MM
Bordeaux in First

Can anyone provide the name and vintage of the St Julien served in F this month (LHR/JNB)
Old Jan 21, 2009, 4:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci, BA LTG + GGL, SPG LTP, HHonors Diamond, IHG Spire Ambassador
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/briti...ne-thread.html

Would appear to be Chateau Langoa-Barton 1999, Grand Crus Classe, Saint Julien.

Last edited by G-BOAC; Jan 21, 2009 at 4:36 pm Reason: OP asked for name and vintage not just vintage!
Old Jan 21, 2009, 4:21 pm

Programs: BA Gold, QF LTG+LTQP
And there I was thinking it was a post about a random shorthaul upgrade to FIRST!
Old Jan 21, 2009, 4:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold, SQ Gold, KQ Platinum, IHG Diamond Ambassador, Hilton Gold, Marriott Silver, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by bdmaus
And there I was thinking it was a post about a random shorthaul upgrade to FIRST!
You are not alone...
Old Jan 21, 2009, 5:31 pm

Programs: Delta DM 1MM
Langoa-Barton 1999 it was indeed, thanks
Old Jan 23, 2009, 8:17 am

Programs: Chevalier de la Gallentrie - Knight of the Platinum Hair Brush, BA Gold, Hilton Gold
Am i right in thinking then that all traces of Bolly has now gone from the CCR? How does the Pol stack up against it?

Efin
Old Jan 23, 2009, 8:19 am

Programs: BA GGL, VS Gold, BD Gold, Flying Blue Platinum, IC RA, Hilton Diamond, Eurostar Carte Blanche
Originally Posted by efincomputer
Am i right in thinking then that all traces of Bolly has now gone from the CCR? How does the Pol stack up against it?

Efin
Yes to the first question and the answer to the second in not printable...only joking, the Pol is very nice, but just not as special or as nice on the palate as the Bolly.
Old Jan 23, 2009, 9:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci, BAEC LT Gold, HH Dia, MR LT Plat, IHG Diamond Amb, Amex Plat
For those suffering Bolly withdrawals, Costco have 99 Grande Annee in a presentation box with 2 rather nice looking Champagne flutes (similar to those used in the CCR) for £45 +VAT.
Old Jan 23, 2009, 9:27 am

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, SQ Gold, DL Plat, Bonvoy Plat
BA 143 LHR - DEL Jan 22nd

Pol Roger and Chateau Talbot in F. My colleague and I had the whole cabin to ourselves, and a stellar crew to boot.
Old Jan 24, 2009, 2:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
Pol, Clos and Lanson Rose in the F Galleries today. I tried the Clos as my first drop of the day and it wasn't bad at all. It's clearly a different taste than the Pol, but I didn't find anything to object to.
Old Jan 24, 2009, 2:59 am

Programs: BA - Gold for Life, CCR & GGL; IC Spire Elite Ambassador; Diamond Hilton Honors; Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by stimpy
Pol, Clos and Lanson Rose in the F Galleries today. I tried the Clos as my first drop of the day and it wasn't bad at all. It's clearly a different taste than the Pol, but I didn't find anything to object to.
I will be in GF next week and will do the same, but am pleased to see that the Pol is still around.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.