Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Using BA Miles for QF Flights from LAX to SYD?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Using BA Miles for QF Flights from LAX to SYD?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 24, 2008, 4:26 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA Lifetime Platinum with 2.5MM. Current AA EXP
Question Using BA Miles for QF Flights from LAX to SYD?

As a 1K, 2Million Miler, I have plenty of UA miles for 2 business class tickets to Australia. Unfortunately, I can never seem to find two seats without going to the "double mileage" STANDARD award level. For 2009, that would be 540,000 for 2 business seats on UA--absurd for UA's current pathetic business class.

Recently, I learned that for my 320,000 BA miles (gotten through Diners over the years), I can get business class seats using one BA partner--Qantas--for 160,000 miles each. So, I have the miles, but need tips for success. Better online or through Executive Club in US (I have no status with Exec Club, just plenty of miles)? Way in advance or last minute? Ideas? This is my first post. Thanks for any help. MMM
Old Dec 24, 2008, 4:43 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by MillionMilerMan
As a 1K, 2Million Miler, I have plenty of UA miles for 2 business class tickets to Australia. Unfortunately, I can never seem to find two seats without going to the "double mileage" STANDARD award level. For 2009, that would be 540,000 for 2 business seats on UA--absurd for UA's current pathetic business class.

Recently, I learned that for my 320,000 BA miles (gotten through Diners over the years), I can get business class seats using one BA partner--Qantas--for 160,000 miles each. So, I have the miles, but need tips for success. Better online or through Executive Club in US (I have no status with Exec Club, just plenty of miles)? Way in advance or last minute? Ideas? This is my first post. Thanks for any help. MMM
Welcome to the BAEC forum MillionMilerMan.

You can check for availability and book online for QF flights from LAX-SYD without any problem once you log in to your account.
Using the book award with miles tool just put in your dates and it will force you to use the partners search function.
Old Dec 24, 2008, 5:28 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Platinum, UA Million-Miler Lifetime Premier Executive, Hilton HHonors Diamond
The ba.com search feature is very user-friendly and will provide you with a range of dates showing award availability in business class. I wouldn't procrastinate, since availability (especially for 2 award seats) may be limited. If you book online, you also avoid the phone booking fee.
Old Dec 25, 2008, 11:24 am
Suspended

Programs: BMI, VS, Marriott, SPG, HH*S, GoldPoints+
Recommend Swap your BA

Originally Posted by manicflyer9
The ba.com search feature is very user-friendly and will provide you with a range of dates showing award availability in business class. I wouldn't procrastinate, since availability (especially for 2 award seats) may be limited. If you book online, you also avoid the phone booking fee.
re ba.com search feature - I am not so sure about 'user friendly'.
It is rather tiresom and less than easy as a tool for finding all other OneWorld options, and regularly fails to flag up all the non BA options available.

For the best information make your enquiry through the AAdvantage programme, you can get the number easily enough.

As a second point, you might be better off trading 320k BA points for a more generous AAvantage tarriff. That's what the Coupon Connection is for.
Old Dec 25, 2008, 12:03 pm

Originally Posted by UK Flyer 1
re ba.com search feature - I am not so sure about 'user friendly'.
It is rather tiresom and less than easy as a tool for finding all other OneWorld options, and regularly fails to flag up all the non BA options available.

For the best information make your enquiry through the AAdvantage programme, you can get the number easily enough.

As a second point, you might be better off trading 320k BA points for a more generous AAvantage tarriff. That's what the Coupon Connection is for.
Total nonsense.
Old Dec 25, 2008, 12:04 pm

QF award seats in Y are generally available on the LAX-SYD route but you will find that the J and F availability is as bad or worse than UA. You should expect to find nothing available that suits your travel plans unless you want to sit in Y.
Old Dec 25, 2008, 1:01 pm
Original Poster

Thanks to all for the less than optimistic--but honest--assessments. Will give BA online a try, but probably end up buying a UA coach and upgrading with SWUs--hopefully on a newly-configured plane.
Old Dec 25, 2008, 3:07 pm

Programs: QFF (Gold), Skywards, Rapid Rewards,United, Velocity, Hilton Silver
Originally Posted by millionmiler
QF award seats in Y are generally available on the LAX-SYD route but you will find that the J and F availability is as bad or worse than UA. You should expect to find nothing available that suits your travel plans unless you want to sit in Y.
This was true in 2008 but 2009 is showing much friendlier attitude by QF and more seats. Certainly well in advance but there seems to be a further release for January. Having difficulty checking on QF website at moment
Old Dec 25, 2008, 4:48 pm

that is absolute rubbish

I have a first class booked lax mel on the A 380 and got my husband on a different date a J on the A 380
there is definitly availability if you are prepared to be flexible on dates.
and I have definitely booked 2 people on one flight in J with no problems if they want to book a long way off

and in the short term like 3-4 days out there are heaps
Old Dec 25, 2008, 6:25 pm

Originally Posted by tinkybelle
that is absolute rubbish

No it is not. Feel free to believe what you want though and mislead the readers.
Old Dec 25, 2008, 6:43 pm

Originally Posted by Lonely Flyer
This was true in 2008 but 2009 is showing much friendlier attitude by QF and more seats. Certainly well in advance but there seems to be a further release for January. Having difficulty checking on QF website at moment
Let's examine the "well in advance" timeframe of August 2009 as an example. There are exactly zero dates with 2 seats in F class from SYD to LAX the entire month. Seems like a low number to me. There are zero dates with 2 seats in J class in either direction on any of the SYD-LAX nonstops. There is one date with 2 J seats from LAX-MEL. That's obviously not zero but still a very small number.

Flame with data folks and not (incorrect) speculation.

Last edited by millionmiler; Dec 25, 2008 at 6:50 pm
Old Dec 25, 2008, 8:06 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Platinum, UA Million-Miler Lifetime Premier Executive, Hilton HHonors Diamond
Let's examine the "well in advance" timeframe of August 2009 as an example. There are exactly zero dates with 2 seats in F class from SYD to LAX the entire month. Seems like a low number to me. There are zero dates with 2 seats in J class in either direction on any of the SYD-LAX nonstops. There is one date with 2 J seats from LAX-MEL. That's obviously not zero but still a very small number.

Flame with data folks and not (incorrect) speculation.
Recognizing another's right to disagree, I stand by my earlier post. I have found F availability on QF by utilizing the ba.com search feature after intitially being advised by AAdvantage telephone reps that there was no availability. I then call back AA and provide them with a specific date and remind them that the current F award booking code is "P," not "Z." Many AAgents still don't input the correct booking code, which may account for some problems in obtaining availability.
Oh, by the way, data does exist: I have two separate roundtrip F award bookings from LAX in early and late August 2009, including one booking with A380 equipment to MEL and from SYD.
Old Dec 26, 2008, 12:39 am
Original Poster

Again, thanks for the information. Perhaps I'm missing something, but all of the talk about contacting AA, American booking codes, and AA availability is confusing me. I have BA miles, not AA! I have to believe that only BA would be able to advise me (either online or via phone) if there are available QF seats (First or Business) using BA miles. Wouldn't AA availability and booking codes be irrelevant to this situation? Just because AA has seats on QF doesn't mean BA does, right? Am I missing something?
Old Dec 26, 2008, 1:22 am

Again, thanks for the information. Perhaps I'm missing something, but all of the talk about contacting AA, American booking codes, and AA availability is confusing me. I have BA miles, not AA! I have to believe that only BA would be able to advise me (either online or via phone) if there are available QF seats (First or Business) using BA miles. Wouldn't AA availability and booking codes be irrelevant to this situation? Just because AA has seats on QF doesn't mean BA does, right? Am I missing something?
If you are using BA miles then there would be no need to contact AA at all however , as far as availability goes , if QF is offering business award (U) availability, then it will be the same regardless of whether it is BA or AA attempting to book it

Dave
Old Dec 26, 2008, 2:25 am

All the OW airlines have the same inventory you just have to contact the Airline with whom you have the
points. that is why people are saying THEY called AA they didnt say for you to call.
and BA has the same 355 day advance booking as QF AA is 330 days in advance so you avhe a much better chance to secure F awards or J awards than someone with AA

and as you can see a lot of AA people are securing seats.
I am certainly not a QF lover I think many of their res agents are lazy and smart arse but I asswure you you will be able to egt J and F sets if you look hared enough are patient and flexible,

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.