Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Split bookings Adult+child Club, Adult+child WT+ Can we swap on plane?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Split bookings Adult+child Club, Adult+child WT+ Can we swap on plane?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 6, 2009, 9:48 am

The buddy seat is mainly used (from my experience as cabin crew) by people who are both travelling in F, but want to eat together.
Old Jan 6, 2009, 10:03 am

Originally Posted by flygirl68
The buddy seat is mainly used (from my experience as cabin crew) by people who are both travelling in F, but want to eat together.
i concur ...it's there so you can dine or spend a little time with a fellow F passenger. i don't think it was ever thought of being an aid to have someone come in from another cabin to see you.
i'd suggest the crew are cutting everyone a bit of slack by letting people make a brief visit.
Old Jan 6, 2009, 10:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci des Hommes Magiques et Magnifiques
It wasn't to start with but a few years back it was brought in as a First benefit.
Old Jan 6, 2009, 10:25 am

Programs: BAEC Silver; Muccis du Monde des Peluches
Originally Posted by hammythehammer
i don't think it was ever thought of being an aid to have someone come in from another cabin to see you.
i'd suggest the crew are cutting everyone a bit of slack by letting people make a brief visit.
I'm afraid I simply don't believe this. There have been many threads on this subject, and it seems pretty clear that crew training says exactly that they can permit visitors from other cabins, for brief periods etc.; and indeed that they normally should do so provided it isn't at a busy time for them (e.g. a main meal service) and doesn't disturb other pax.

On the other hand, try asking the crew if you can have a visitor from another cabin when you're in CW and you'll get a pretty swift "no". Unless, of course, that visitor is from F .
Old Jan 6, 2009, 4:14 pm

Programs: Mucci Chevalier des Sous-vetements civilises, BAEC Gold
My partner and I are both very slim (although I hasten to add toned, tanned and muscular). If I booked myself in F and him in Y, would it be possible to sneak him into 1A post dinner service? And could I expect an additional amenity kit?
Old Jan 6, 2009, 4:50 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by Embuexpat
My partner and I are both very slim (although I hasten to add toned, tanned and muscular). If I booked myself in F and him in Y, would it be possible to sneak him into 1A post dinner service? And could I expect an additional amenity kit?
Doesn't matter how you look, the answer is still no.
Old Jan 6, 2009, 5:52 pm
Suspended

Programs: Proud owner of 3 Mucci's (yes, 3!) the latest being Chevaliere des Bains Chauds, BA Silver (6 yrs)
Originally Posted by Embuexpat
No - if you want your partner to join you in F why don't you pay for him/her

Is it just me or has this thread started to become one of taking the p..s in trying to get something for nothing (or cheap anyway)
Old Jan 7, 2009, 1:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, GA, LH, QR, SV, TK
In different times, my boss would descend from First during the flight to cheer up his minions travelling in further-back cabins. Oddly, he never invited us to join him in his world. And just as oddly, we heartily wished he would stay out of ours.

Turning to the confected dramas in this thread, common sense suggests:
(a) children travelling with parents would be supervised by the parents throughout the flight. Or if you have a nanny, drag her along too.
(b) teenagers would breeze through a six-hour separation from a parent, and might well accept an economy-class seat as a small price to pay for this.

At the other extreme, I was reading in a thread elsewhere a parent expecting compensation for being separated from her child by two rows in economy on a one-hour sector...
Old Jan 7, 2009, 3:16 am

Programs: BA - Blue > Bronze > Silver > Bronze > Blue
Originally Posted by IAN-UK
In different times, my boss would descend from First during the flight to cheer up his minions travelling in further-back cabins. Oddly, he never invited us to join him in his world. And just as oddly, we heartily wished he would stay out of ours.

Turning to the confected dramas in this thread, common sense suggests:
(a) children travelling with parents would be supervised by the parents throughout the flight. Or if you have a nanny, drag her along too.
(b) teenagers would breeze through a six-hour separation from a parent, and might well accept an economy-class seat as a small price to pay for this.

At the other extreme, I was reading in a thread elsewhere a parent expecting compensation for being separated from her child by two rows in economy on a one-hour sector...
When we were kids, we used to fight over who could sit on there own away from the rest of the family, this was when I was about 8! It was great flying alone. I'm sure a 16 year old, even on a 10 hour journey will be absolutely fine on her own and surely if she can't be away from daddy for that long, he could always make a trip back to see her in the confines of Y. Perhaps even take her a chocolate!
Old Jan 7, 2009, 6:51 am

Programs: BA: Silver,
Originally Posted by Can I help you
Secondly you cannot have two children travelling in a cabin without a adult or child over twelve.
CIHY
Strange. My two (11 and 9) flew in WT+ to SFO this summer - no accompanying adult in same cabin... Wife and I were a few seats ahead of them in F (it was a 52J). We were frantic about them not behaving themselves, but confident that they would, and they did
We visited them regularly and were assured by the very helpful CC that their behviour was "impecable".
The cost of a club ticket is the same for child as adult, so do not see too much of a problem - I am not the rule maker though!
Old Jan 7, 2009, 6:58 am

Programs: BAEC Silver; Muccis du Monde des Peluches
Originally Posted by onaswan
Strange. My two (11 and 9) flew in WT+ to SFO this summer - no accompanying adult in same cabin... Wife and I were a few seats ahead of them in F (it was a 52J).
Did they get their nibbles from the Club Kitchen or the F galley?

We were frantic about them not behaving themselves, but confident that they would, and they did
We visited them regularly and were assured by the very helpful CC that their behviour was "impecable".
Were they allowed to visit you (briefly, one at a time maybe) in F? I would have thought when their behaviour is "impecable" (the CC member was Spanish? - impeCABle) is exactly when the crew should allow a visit; and when they are being noisy little b*ggers is when the CSD should think up a reason why they can't visit the F cabin.
Old Jan 7, 2009, 7:48 am

Programs: BA Gold, FB Plat, MR plat
Originally Posted by CO FF
Also, review my prior post: the only reason my daughter would end up in FIRST on this flight is because there wouldn't be a seat available in NCW (or, for that matter, in WT -- although I've had AA's EXP desk initiate the request and had it turned down), forcing me to pay up for a higher award level for her for FIRST in order to make the trip. (Yes, there's always the possibility of me buying her a revenue seat -- and if I do, I'd buy a return and throw away the inbound leg, to save GBP 800 or so.) If the seats were NCW & WT, none of this would be an issue -- there is no buddy seat, after all.
One other potential option for you that I haven't seen suggested yet is to book your daughter in first, and then offer for her to swap with the person sat next to you in NCW (might need to be pre-cleared with the cabin crew).
Admittedly this means you will not get the full value of what you have paid for, but if sitting with your daughter is a high priority this might be a palatable solution for everyone (especially the lucky person who gets the unexpected bonus of moving from NCW to first!)
Old Jan 7, 2009, 6:50 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA 2MM, Bonvoy LT Plt, Mets fan
Originally Posted by Leccy
One other potential option for you that I haven't seen suggested yet is to book your daughter in first, and then offer for her to swap with the person sat next to you in NCW (might need to be pre-cleared with the cabin crew).
Admittedly this means you will not get the full value of what you have paid for, but if sitting with your daughter is a high priority this might be a palatable solution for everyone (especially the lucky person who gets the unexpected bonus of moving from NCW to first!)
Were I booked in NCW, I'd do just that -- and consider it a deposit at the karma bank. (Does "karma bank" translate from American into English?) But, as I noted in my first post, I'm in WT (unless prices come down, or my business travel gets cut, enough to make it worth my while to pay to move to WT+).

I'd rather let my daughter sit in F than give it to a total stranger and make her sit in WT. And something tells me that the gate staff would not be amenable to swapping F & WT for 2 NCW...
Old Jan 8, 2009, 3:04 am

Programs: BA: Silver,
Originally Posted by LeisureFirst
Did they get their nibbles from the Club Kitchen or the F galley?

Were they allowed to visit you (briefly, one at a time maybe) in F? I would have thought when their behaviour is "impecable" (the CC member was Spanish? - impeCABle) is exactly when the crew should allow a visit; and when they are being noisy little b*ggers is when the CSD should think up a reason why they can't visit the F cabin.
Thank you LF for the spolling lesson I shall add the necessary C when the site allows me to edit.

Yes, They were invited up to F on a couple of occassions - only my son took up the offer - my daughter seemed to be araldited to the (working) IFE.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.