Wiki Posts
Search

BA website incredibly slow

Search this Thread

Old Nov 18, 2008, 11:38 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA gold
BA website incredibly slow

Right now I'm in Cambodia, trying to book a NCL->LHR->HEL->HKG, SIN->DRW, SYD->LHR->NCL ticket(s) for early next year but as soon as I log into the BAEC account, the site just grinds to a halt. Trying to book any random simple flights, the site just hangs.

It seems to happen wherever I am in SE Asia, be it Singapore, Kuala Lumpur, Bangkok, Phnom Penh, Hanoi or Hong Kong. However, when back in the UK, the website is fast and responsive.

Other websites (such as this or my own websites) are much quicker, even on third-world connectivity so I'm led to believe that there's very poor routing at the website's uplink with SE Asia.

Does anyone else experience similar symptoms? Or suggestions?
Old Oct 17, 2019, 8:10 am

Programs: Varies
Thought I'd resurrect this to see if anyone else is having problems with how slow the BA website seems to have become in the last couple of weeks.

It can take several minutes to get to the stage where the initial home page loads. On this occasion I entered BA.com into the browser, waited for it to load, googled 'BA website slow', read several threads on tripadvisor, then this thread, which I've replied to. And after all that the BA home page still hasn't loaded.

The app is also annoyingly slow but is better than the website.

If someone could point me in the direction of where I can see my companion vouchers on the app (expire dates, etc) I'd happily stop trying to use the website.

p.s just before posting this the home page finally loaded, but now I've entered my login details it's started to swirl again (login interstitial)......

....still swirling
Old Oct 17, 2019, 9:09 am

Programs: BAEC
Wow the 2nd time in 2 days there's been 11 years between posts on a thread - is the internet really that slow??
mikeyfly likes this.
Old Oct 17, 2019, 9:32 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
I've been finding the website excruciatingly slow for a few days: it can take several minutes for the home page to load completely, and when it has loaded there's a significant lag between my pressing a key and it appearing on screen.

The app is okay except when it reverts to the website, such as when you select a seat. This morning I waited two and a half minutes for the seat map to appear.
Old Oct 17, 2019, 10:08 am

Programs: BA Gold, AF/KL Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by Misco60
I've been finding the website excruciatingly slow for a few days: it can take several minutes for the home page to load completely, and when it has loaded there's a significant lag between my pressing a key and it appearing on screen.

The app is okay except when it reverts to the website, such as when you select a seat. This morning I waited two and a half minutes for the seat map to appear.
Me too - it is incredibly slow. There is a long delay waiting for the airports to come up as well as for selecting dates.
Old Oct 17, 2019, 10:23 am

Programs: BAEC Bronze, Mucci recipient
I don't think you can see your companion vouchers on the app (Android). I just looked and can't see mine. If this is possible perhaps someone else can report back where to find it. Both the app and the website have been working ok though I did just notice that the Avios recent transactions statement on the app is blank. I can see transactions on the website but nothing since 9 October.
Old Oct 17, 2019, 10:37 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
You have never been able to see any e-vouchers (GUFs, 2-4-1s etc.) listed on the app. In order to check these you need to use the website.

I don’t think I have detected any slowdown of the website or app recently - the main issue I have always seen is the loss of all bookings on the app which is very annoying and usually takes several attempts to get them back.
Old Oct 17, 2019, 10:42 am

Programs: Lemonia. Best Greek ever.
Their website just loaded, in full, in 4 seconds. (Win 7, Firefox, BT connection)
Old Oct 17, 2019, 11:22 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by Ancient Observer
Their website just loaded, in full, in 4 seconds. (Win 7, Firefox, BT connection)
Good idea to include what you're using. ^
I'm an IT idiot so have no idea what causes things to slow down. My wife uses Windows 10 and Firefox whereas I use Windows 8.1 and a mixture of Firefox and Chrome. It's interesting to see how slow her browsing can be compared to mine even when browsing the same sites.
Old Oct 17, 2019, 12:39 pm

Im trying to do a reward booking but I can only select economy, if I check the 'pay with cash' box instead, I get all the choices again. Website speed seems ok
Old Oct 17, 2019, 12:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Falkirk, Scotland,VS Red, BA Gold, HH Diamond,UK Amex Plat
Programs: Master of the Privy Purse des Muccis
Originally Posted by LBA_flyer
Im trying to do a reward booking but I can only select economy, if I check the 'pay with cash' box instead, I get all the choices again. Website speed seems ok
Hi,

I often get this as well. I select cash and then go back to pay with Avios and then all the options now appear ( and yes it is annoying)

Regards

TBS
Old Oct 17, 2019, 1:05 pm

Originally Posted by The _Banking_Scot
Hi,

I often get this as well. I select cash and then go back to pay with Avios and then all the options now appear ( and yes it is annoying)

Regards

TBS
Thanks, I'll give that a try.^
Old Oct 17, 2019, 3:55 pm

I've been trying to make a payment on a BA holiday payment and it takes me to the standard 'book a flight' every time I choose a payment method. This on on the app and website.
BA is really the only company I have so many issues with.
Old Oct 17, 2019, 3:58 pm
Suspended

Programs: BA Bronze-soon to be Silver!
I thought it was just me. FINALLY made my booking but couldn't print a confirmation.
Then closed that tab and tried to log back on but no joy. <eye roll>
At least I got my confirmation number. Is this Boris's fault?
Old Oct 17, 2019, 10:42 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by Ancient Observer
And about 6 seconds for me (Win 10, Chrome, sluggish VPN). I have sometimes found MS Edge or Explorer a bit faster than Chrome, against the usual trend. I detect a whiff of Minimum Viable Product and Agile over all of this, which could explain temporary oddities mentioned by the OP.

I recently had my laptop updated after 4 years hard labour on the previous one, which as you can imagine has been around the world many, many times along with the typist. My rural home broadband also was improved from 1.5 Mbps to the dizzy heights of 2.1 Mbps, which makes me the envy of the few neighbours that I have. These two events greatly improved BA.com for me and meant that I can only make 1 Flyertalk post between BA.com button presses, instead of 2 or 3.

I keenly await Boris' superfast 30 Mbps to the more rustic corners of Northumberland by 2025.
ens100, chrismk and HighwayToHEL like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.