Wiki Posts
Search

Buckingham Palace Charters....

Search this Thread

Old Sep 18, 2008, 12:33 am
Original Poster

Programs: AC Elite50k, BAEC Blue, Amex Plat, RBC Black Tin Visa
Buckingham Palace Charters....

On the telly tonight was an old episode of Monarchy - I think it was called Headquarters - and there was mention of the charters the Buck House arranges. There was a scene of the Palace chap briefing the crew for an upcoming flight, asking "Nettie" if she still remembered how to mix HRH's gin and dubonnet. I did some searching and nothing popped up so I was wondering if anyone had any Tales From The Royal Galley and what are the chances that Pucci is Nettie????
Old Sep 18, 2008, 1:32 am

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold;BA GGL; hhonors lifetime diamond; Marriott lt Gold; IH Plat Amb; Amex Centurion
Originally Posted by TheOnlyWayTo Fly
On the telly tonight was an old episode of Monarchy - I think it was called Headquarters - and there was mention of the charters the Buck House arranges. There was a scene of the Palace chap briefing the crew for an upcoming flight, asking "Nettie" if she still remembered how to mix HRH's gin and dubonnet. I did some searching and nothing popped up so I was wondering if anyone had any Tales From The Royal Galley and what are the chances that Pucci is Nettie????
HM's I think you may mean
Old Sep 18, 2008, 2:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci des Hommes Magiques et Magnifiques
We may tell tales about other flights, but you won't hear any juicy gossip about royal charters, we sign the official secrets act so it's more than our jobs worth (I wouldn't tell anyway)
CIHY
Old Sep 18, 2008, 10:05 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Can I help you
We may tell tales about other flights, but you won't hear any juicy gossip about royal charters, we sign the official secrets act so it's more than our jobs worth (I wouldn't tell anyway)
CIHY

I pretty much assumed that, but I was intrigued about a comment made on the programme about the removal of every other row of seats in First to make more legroom... (how much does one actually need???)
Also, on an extended trip I imagine crew scheduling and billetting must be an art in itself! Plus, is there a group of cabin and flight crew specifically trained and earmarked for these royal duties or does everyone get a crack?
Old Sep 18, 2008, 10:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold, SQ Gold, KQ Platinum, IHG Diamond Ambassador, Hilton Gold, Marriott Silver, Accor Silver
I pretty much assumed that, but I was intrigued about a comment made on the programme about the removal of every other row of seats in First to make more legroom... (how much does one actually need???)
If I remember that episode correctly, they were talking about removing rows of Club Europe seats on the shorthaul planes.
Old Sep 18, 2008, 2:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci des Hommes Magiques et Magnifiques
Also, on an extended trip I imagine crew scheduling and billetting must be an art in itself! Plus, is there a group of cabin and flight crew specifically trained and earmarked for these royal duties or does everyone get a crack?
The aircraft is changed to Buckingham Palace specification and there is crew specially selected to do these flights.
The crew used are members of the "Crew Idiol" Team, the team change every 2 years. The original team members were nominated by other crew and the last group by BA card holders.
CIHY
Old Sep 18, 2008, 2:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Allegedly there are also a couple of BA planes fitted with some additional 'safety' equipment for these flights. Allegedly.
Old Sep 18, 2008, 10:46 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Swanhunter
Allegedly there are also a couple of BA planes fitted with some additional 'safety' equipment for these flights. Allegedly.
Oh, James......
Old Sep 19, 2008, 2:36 am

Programs: BA: Silver,
Originally Posted by Genius1
If I remember that episode correctly, they were talking about removing rows of Club Europe seats on the shorthaul planes.
And as I remember from the programme, HM flies under a psaudonym on Mrs Jones or the like... I wonder if she collects her BAEC TPs and miles... With her profile she would be at least Silver by now
Old Sep 19, 2008, 2:39 am

Programs: BA: Silver,
Originally Posted by onaswan
And as I remember from the programme, HM flies under a pseudonym of Mrs Jones or the like... I wonder if she collects her BAEC TPs and miles... With her profile she would be at least Silver by now
Corrected version (spollings!)
Old Sep 19, 2008, 2:42 am

Temporarily, possibly but theres too many engineers and pilots crawling around who havent signed the official secrets act to get away with it forever.
Old Sep 19, 2008, 8:48 am

Originally Posted by Jumbodriver
Temporarily, possibly but theres too many engineers and pilots crawling around who havent signed the official secrets act to get away with it forever.
<pedant>

Technically I don't believe you actually sign the act, just a declaration.

</pedant>

Last edited by Dave_C; Sep 19, 2008 at 8:48 am Reason: I couldn't spell technically
Old Sep 20, 2008, 4:28 am

Programs: BAEC Blue, British Airways ID, Lloyds TSB Visa Debit Card
For longhaul flights, the First cabin used to be stripped out and a double bed installed along with a dressing table for Liz and a small dining table. Two (occasionally more) F-seats remained in-situ.

As I understand it, this practice has all but ended. Now the aircraft flies in usual config but with one or two minor changes to emergency equipment and soft furnishings.

That said, I've never been on a royal flight for a variety of reasons, though I hope to at some point.
Old Sep 20, 2008, 5:34 am

Programs: BAEC Silver; Muccis du Monde des Peluches
Originally Posted by Dave_C
Technically I don't believe you actually sign the act, just a declaration.
I recall signing a document to the effect that I had seen and understood some key parts of the Official Secrets Act.

As a Parliamentary Statute, everyone in the UK is bound by the Official Secrets Act, signature or otherwise. Therefore the legal effect of signing it is a lot weaker than is popularly believed. However, I presume it is thought a good way to hammer home the seriousness of breaking it to those who might be in a position to; as well as weakening any defence to any prosecution, dismissal from employment or similar.
Old Sep 20, 2008, 8:25 am

Programs: Lord OPebble - Mucci of the Hour. Diamond Class MUCCI.Chevalier du Circle Intime de Pucci
Originally Posted by LeisureFirst
I recall signing a document to the effect that I had seen and understood some key parts of the Official Secrets Act.
Isn't your statement above in breach thereof?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.