MFU Fee?

Old Aug 8, 2008, 12:40 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Gold
MFU Fee?

Hello,

I have a booking in WT+ from BDA to LGW on the 13th and back next week.

When I booked there was no MFU availability on the way out. I've just checked and there's availability now. I've MFUed in the past for free(apart from the miles). However ba.com now wants $320 from me $200 change fee and $120 in extra taxes to MFU the outbound leg. I've never paid a change fee for MFU before. Is this a new thing? Also, isn't the tax for WT+ the same as for Club?

I called BA and they just said there was no availability which isn't what ba.com says !

To complicate matters, I want to change my return leg, which it's cheaper to do once I've flown the outbound leg (assuming there's still availability) so don't want to pay two change fees.

Any advice? I apoligise, if this has been answered before, I had a search and couldn't find anything.

Thanks

--
Joe

Last edited by joeuk; Aug 8, 2008 at 12:45 pm
Old Aug 8, 2008, 12:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Falkirk, Scotland,VS Red, BA Gold, HH Diamond,UK Amex Plat
Programs: Master of the Privy Purse des Muccis
Hi joeuk,

One you have flown your outbound flight then no changes are allowed.

Recently BA has introduced a sliding scale for fuel surcharges in which ( F& CW> WT+>WT)

I do not know about the different fare ... all wT+ fares should be MFUable and the apparent difference in MFU availability between online and the phone service.

Regards

TBS
Old Aug 8, 2008, 12:52 pm

Programs: BAEC redundant Bronze, AAdvantage Lifetime PLT, CO, WN, B6
Originally Posted by joeuk
Hello,

I have a booking in WT+ from BDA to LGW on the 13th and back next week.

When I booked there was no MFU availability on the way out. I've just checked and there's availability now. I've MFUed in the past for free(apart from the miles). However ba.com now wants $320 from me $200 change fee and $120 in extra taxes to MFU the outbound leg. I've never paid a change fee for MFU before. Is this a new thing? Also, isn't the tax for WT+ the same as for Club?

I called BA and they just said there was no availability which isn't what ba.com says !

To complicate matters, I want to change my return leg, which it's cheaper to do once I've flown the outbound leg (assuming there's still availability) so don't want to pay two change fees.

Any advice? I apoligise, if this has been answered before, I had a search and couldn't find anything.

I can't answer for the taxes, but the $200 change fee is a known problem with ba.com. If you are not changing time and date of the flight you don't have to pay the change fee, but unfortunately you have to keep calling 1-800-AIRWAYS until you get an agent that knows what they're talking about.

Looking back, I wonder if what you're seeing could be partially due to higher fuel surcharges on J, rather than a tax difference?
Old Aug 8, 2008, 12:55 pm

Programs: BAEC redundant Bronze, AAdvantage Lifetime PLT, CO, WN, B6
Originally Posted by The _Banking_Scot
One you have flown your outbound flight then no changes are allowed.
Strictly I think you can change the underlying T(?) reservation which for a US ticket probably costs $200 or so, but it you do that you lose the miles and don't get the upgrade.
Old Aug 8, 2008, 12:57 pm
Original Poster

>
> One you have flown your outbound flight then no changes are allowed.
>

Is this also a new thing? I've changed the date of my return leg before, at the change fee of $200 rather than the much bigger change/reissue fee they want if I do it now!
Old Aug 8, 2008, 1:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by bernardd
Strictly I think you can change the underlying T(?) reservation which for a US ticket probably costs $200 or so, but it you do that you lose the miles and don't get the upgrade.
Hi,

Ah !! Thanks for that bernardd!^

Regards

TBS
Old Aug 8, 2008, 1:26 pm
Original Poster

Thanks everyone for your help and advice.

I phoned again, and managed to do the MFU for $0 !

Thanks again.

--
Joe
Old Aug 8, 2008, 3:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Thanks again.

--
Joe
Hi joe,

Well done! Enjoy CW!

Regards

TBS
Old Aug 8, 2008, 9:27 pm

Programs: Marriott LT Titanium, AA 1MM, UA 1MM

I had pretty much exactly this experience.

One wonders how many non-FT fliers "donate" $200 to BA for an MFU.
Old Aug 15, 2008, 11:31 pm

xxxxx

Last edited by meeshi; Oct 20, 2011 at 10:11 am
Old Aug 16, 2008, 6:03 am

Programs: AS MVP Gold, Marriott Plat, ICH Plat, HH Gold
Originally Posted by meeshi
No reissue fee or extra taxes if started in WT+.....
Correct until recently, when BA made the fuel surcharge depending on the cabin, and now charges a few £ more in CW. On an LHR to US west coast WT+ to CW MFU (both ways) the total fare was around £15 more a few weeks back.
Old Aug 16, 2008, 9:47 am

Location: Miami Beach FL, Philadelphia PA, and Oxfordshire UK
Programs: BA Gold, AA Executive Platinum, PriorityPass, Global Entry, Marriott Platinum
I had a similar experience this morning - am flying from MIA to LHR tomorrow - for weeks there have been no availability to MFU to CW - then I looked this morning just in case, and there was availability - wooo!
But, doing it online they wanted $400 for it - so I called the EC and asked them to do it for me - they said their computer wanted $2500 for it!

I was then put on hold whilst they figured it out - for about 20 mins. But was worth the wait as they came back and said - all done and no extra charge. Just 12500 miles. Good stuff!
Old Aug 16, 2008, 10:10 am

Programs: BA Gold, VS, EK
Is there somewhere this is written down? My parents did exactly this and got charged??

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.