Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Amenity kits- would you miss them if they went?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 27, 2008, 9:37 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold, EK Gold, GF Silver, IC Royal Ambass, Marriott Gold, TK Elite

I've just been clearing out a cupboard at home and found a couple of business class Molton Brown amentity kits from 5 or 6 years ago- what a difference in content compared to todays meagre offering.

Seeing what we used to get then should BA just think about doing away with t he amenity kit altogether and make sure essentials such as toothbrush, toothpaste, moisturiser? are available in bathrooms....I'm not sure so many people would miss the thing we get now.
Old Jul 27, 2008, 9:42 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Would you miss them?

For regular travellers probably not but for the leisure traveller I think it is a nice souvenir to take home.
Old Jul 27, 2008, 9:53 am

Programs: BA Gold, AA EXP
I've no idea what used to be in the kits that's different to today's ones but I think they're fairly good. I like being given my own pack of the items. Admittedly it only contains a few basic things but they're generally useful (moisturiser, lip balm, ear plugs etc).

The actual pack with these few bits in may seem a bit over the top but I prefer this than just having the items in the bathroom. I'm a leisure traveller but would never think to take it home as a souvenir though.
Old Jul 27, 2008, 9:56 am

Programs: Lord OPebble - Mucci of the Hour. Diamond Class MUCCI.Chevalier du Circle Intime de Pucci
Originally Posted by MarkLHR
I've just been clearing out a cupboard at home and found a couple of business class Molton Brown amentity kits from 5 or 6 years ago- what a difference in content compared to todays meagre offering.

Seeing what we used to get then should BA just think about doing away with t he amenity kit altogether and make sure essentials such as toothbrush, toothpaste, moisturiser? are available in bathrooms....I'm not sure so many people would miss the thing we get now.
Wouldn't miss them at all. I have several F ones at home that are just cluttering up the wardrobe and in any case I have my own, better, supplies that I use regularly and take with me when I fly.
Old Jul 27, 2008, 10:10 am

Programs: some blue some silver some gold
I would think that although people think they would not miss them, they would. Look at the threads on v-flyer after VS downgraded their amenity kit. Look at how many posts a recent change in amenity kit has got over on the Miles and More forum.

I love the swag I get from airlines - it's a nice reminder of my last holiday etc...

Plus, I'm sure BA just love the fact that I carry around a BA branded item all day...!
Old Jul 27, 2008, 10:11 am

Programs: Muccihood de la Rotisserie Doree, BAEC Gold, SAS Eurobonus basic, Ansett Golden Wing :-(
Originally Posted by MarkLHR
I'm not sure so many people would miss the thing we get now.
I use the socks and the toothbush, though I broke the F toothbrush trying to get it out of its plastic wrap on my last flight.

The rest I either leave on board or clutter up home with.
Old Jul 27, 2008, 10:18 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

For the regular travellers who have them cluttering up the wardrobe.

I would suggest offering them only the items they need instead of the whole kit.Why do you take them home if you don't want them?
Old Jul 27, 2008, 10:24 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold, EK Gold, GF Silver, IC Royal Ambass, Marriott Gold, TK Elite
Originally Posted by HIDDY

I would suggest offering them only the items they need instead of the whole kit.Why do you take them home if you don't want them?
Good point....I used to be a real culprit for that until I ended up throwing half the stuff out cos I never used it and didn't fancy using 5 year old mouth wash! But I think dhoward is probably quite right- if the amenity kit was to change again or disappear there would be outcry accusing the bean counters of being on the prowl again.
Old Jul 27, 2008, 10:25 am

Whenever we have guests staying I put an amenity kit on the pillow for them. Always goes down well so yes I would miss them!
Old Jul 27, 2008, 10:27 am

Programs: AA 2MM - PLT, BA GGL, SPG Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by James S
I use the socks and the toothbrush, though I broke the F toothbrush trying to get it out of its plastic wrap on my last flight.

The rest I either leave on board or clutter up home with.
You use those toothbrushes? They are the skankiest things out there. I always seem to end up with toothbrush bristles stuck between my teeth. I bring a small bag (from LX) with a proper toothbrush in it when I travel BA.

Perhaps the question should be better phrased as 'do you use the amenity kits?'

I will use the lippy as needs be but tend not to use much else apart from the socks, toothpaste and mouthwash.

If we didn't bring them home how could we compare old to new and moan about how meagre they have become. No offence meant to MarkLHR BTW.

I have given a few away to do organisers to use as prizes along with a few pair of PJs.

Last edited by Moomba; Jul 27, 2008 at 10:35 am
Old Jul 27, 2008, 10:30 am

Programs: BA GGL, VS Gold, BD Gold, Flying Blue Platinum, IC RA, Hilton Diamond, Eurostar Carte Blanche

The local Oxfam or Help The Aged shop are always very grateful for the numerous pairs of First Class PJs I drop off every couple of months ^

They are unable to take the F BAg, even with the plastic seal still on it unfortunately, but I now have a friend who loves the lip balm and the other bits and pieces so I have been able to clear a whole shelf in my wardrobe

You did get me thinking though HIDDY, why did I continue to take at least 2 home every month when I already had loads
Old Jul 27, 2008, 10:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci, BAEC LT Gold, HH Dia, MR LT Plat, IHG Diamond Amb, Amex Plat
I wouldn't particularly miss the amenity kit if it went for the right reasons (to improve something else rather than simply cost cutting). If the bag isn't going to be very useful (and I do like the look of the new Rimowa bag in LH F and I love the small but useful QF F bag), then they may as well just leave a selection of toiletries in the toilets like LX do. The only thing I tend to use is the lip balm and then mainly out of laziness. Unless the kit is very different from the norm I just tend to leave them on the plane these days.
Old Jul 27, 2008, 10:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Falkirk, Scotland,VS Red, BA Gold, HH Diamond,UK Amex Plat
Programs: Master of the Privy Purse des Muccis
Hi,

Yes, I would miss them ( and the F PJ's) even though I have a deep drawer full of them at home.

PS How about a metal pen in the BA F kit ( a la VS- that is a very useful thing)

Regards

TBS
Old Jul 27, 2008, 10:48 am

Programs: BAEC (Gold), Hilton (Gold)
It's a very dangerous path to go down IMO.

The soft product on BA is already very hit and miss so anything which devalues it even more is not good.

What next - Champagne ? After all, it's not necessary and a good wine list should be just as good ? You don't NEED Champagne for a flight.

How about the choice of reds and whites ? Why not just a bottle of each and that way the passenger isn't forced to make a decision about which red to have.

And so it goes on.

BAH
Old Jul 27, 2008, 10:49 am

Programs: some blue some silver some gold
so what would the ideal amenity look like?

decent biro
lip balm (I'm surprised but it's been mentioned a few times)
small mouth wash, toothpaste and decent toothbrush
socks
good quality eye shade
ear plugs

and put it all in one of the larger soft anya bags (the grey and beige ones) which I find v useful still.

Last edited by dhoward; Jul 27, 2008 at 10:52 am Reason: for my rubbish spelling

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.