Wiki Posts
Search

This is your Captain speaking...

Search this Thread

Old Jul 22, 2008, 1:19 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold
This is your Captain speaking...

Last time I flew in F was in 1A/K with the OH, to PHX. Was a nice touch when the Captain came down during the early stages of the flight to introduce himself and say hello to each of the passengers.

I flew back two weeks later in NCW, and was ever more suprised when the very same Captain came into the lounge at PHX to say hello to each of the passengers again, and talk a little bit about how long the flight was going to be etc...

Not only was it strange he was on the same route twice in a fortnight, but I just wondered whether Captains regularly do this? Part is his spiel was 'I am one of the old school pilots and like to meet my special passengers' etc, but just wondered whether a lot of others do this as well?
Old Jul 22, 2008, 1:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Falkirk, Scotland,VS Red, BA Gold, HH Diamond,UK Amex Plat
Programs: Master of the Privy Purse des Muccis
Hi 747_not_777,

I think this is very rare as I have not had the Captain in the lounge or introducing himself in the cabin in F/J in all my flights.

A very nice touch by the Captain!^

Regards

TBS
Old Jul 22, 2008, 1:25 pm

Programs: BA GGL, VS Gold, BD Gold, Flying Blue Platinum, IC RA, Hilton Diamond, Eurostar Carte Blanche
Originally Posted by The _Banking_Scot
Hi 747_not_777,

I think this is very rare as I have not had the Captain in the lounge or introducing himself in the cabin in F/J in all my flights.

A very nice touch by the Captain!^

Regards

TBS
Agreed, it's very rare. I can only remember it happening on one occasion, which makes me think it was probably the same Captain as mentioned in the OP
Old Jul 22, 2008, 1:32 pm
Suspended

Programs: Proud owner of 3 Mucci's (yes, 3!) the latest being Chevaliere des Bains Chauds, BA Silver (6 yrs)
A couple of years ago on a delayed flight to Miami, albeit only by about 20 minutes, the Captain came into the boarding lounge and explained what the problem was and how it was being rectified. After doing so he hung around for a while answering any questions anybody had - the children were all swaming round him in awe
Old Jul 22, 2008, 1:34 pm
Original Poster

I'm not mentioning names, but if he looked like Captain Birdseye, then it must be same person!!! And agreed, it was a nice thing to do...
Old Jul 22, 2008, 1:36 pm

To be honest theres rarely time to visit lounges etc unless theres a delay. BA could get us in earlier but that would have a cost attached so wont happen. Visits during delays are reasonably common, but again its rare to have a known departure time to facilitate a planned visit off the aircraft.

I suspect I know who it was, he has a daughter studying in PHX hence the regular visits.
Old Jul 22, 2008, 1:42 pm
Original Poster

Ah-hah. That would make sense then. Jolly decent bloke too... Really went the extra mile to make us feel welcome on board. And his mate upstairs did an excellant job of 'holding her steady' whilst the Captain was otherwise engaged
Old Jul 22, 2008, 1:45 pm

Programs: QF, VA, VN, BA, SQ, KC - all reds and blues.
I did have one flight on a Saab 340 where the pilot came to apologize for delays in person rather than use the intercom. But since the plane only had 12 rows, it's not quite the same as a trip downstairs.

Years ago (before all the 9th November stuff) I was flying JY in business and said on a customer satisfaction form that I didn't believe the pilot was especially interested in the welfare of passengers - I though he'd be more concerned about what he was going to have for tea. But he invited me into the cockpit and sat me on the jump seat. When the flight attendant asked whether I'd be staying for landing, the pilot said yes. And that was with over 40 minutes to go...

Those were the days.
Old Jul 22, 2008, 1:50 pm
Original Poster

What happened on November 9th? Do you mean 9/11 or am I having a slow moment?

I agree - those flight deck days were awesome - not quite the same, but had 30 mins in a 737 from INV - LHR, including the landing, on the anniversary of VE Day in the mid-90's. It was awesome flying over London and seeing thousands and thousands of people lining the Mall. Felt like I was in Concorde doing the official flypast!

About the only way you can still see into the flight deck is on BA's Twin Otter service from GLA. Shame it will have a FlyBe logo on it any day now
Old Jul 22, 2008, 1:51 pm

Programs: BA
Originally Posted by 747_not_777
"I am one of the old school pilots and like to meet my special passengers"
This particular captain sounds a little KOO-KOO!!!
A couple of screws loose, me thinks!!!
Old Jul 22, 2008, 1:54 pm

Programs: Aegean Airlines Silver, British Airways Gold, Virgin Atlantic Silver
[QUOTE=747_not_777;10079968]What happened on November 9th? Do you mean 9/11 or am I having a slow moment?

you are
Old Jul 22, 2008, 1:58 pm

Programs: QF, VA, VN, BA, SQ, KC - all reds and blues.
Originally Posted by 747_not_777
About the only way you can still see into the flight deck is on BA's Twin Otter service from GLA.
I owe my dwindling status to some flying on Loganair, including 4 flights between BEB and BRR on the Twin Otter. Superb - the pilot greeted all the pax and handed them a souvenir route map - and the first officer did the safety briefing.

Never done the Twin Otter to or from Glasgow, but did see one at a gate there. It looked like a toy amongst all the jet planes.
Old Jul 22, 2008, 1:59 pm

Programs: BA Gold, SPG Platinum
I was very lucky on flight flight from LHR to Stuttgart where a LH captain allowed me to jump seat for the whole flight, a truely amazing experience in an A320. Obviously long before 9/11 but made that school trip more special!
Old Jul 22, 2008, 1:59 pm
Original Poster

Ah yes gallagher - never heard it referred to like that (where have I been for the last 7 years?). Now I've heard it tho, I tend to adopt it - makes a lot more sense to me. Thanks for the lesson.
Old Jul 22, 2008, 2:03 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Mr H
I owe my dwindling status to some flying on Loganair, including 4 flights between BEB and BRR on the Twin Otter. Superb - the pilot greeted all the pax and handed them a souvenir route map - and the first officer did the safety briefing.

Never done the Twin Otter to or from Glasgow, but did see one at a gate there. It looked like a toy amongst all the jet planes.
That short little 'hop' between the islands is truly awesome - especially as there tend to only ever be about 3/4 passengers on board. Last time I was on board it was me, the OH and the local bobby... It's certainly the best Twin Otter flight. The BRR - GLA is a bit more Easyjet-esque, as with no assigned seats you have to prepare to dash to be at the front of the queue to bag a decent (aka window) seat. The leg room on that plane is something else!!!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.