Community
Wiki Posts
Search

OT: flight to wrong country

Search this Thread

Old Jul 22, 2008, 5:27 am

Programs: Muccihood (Services to Poetry),BAEC Blue, Virgin Atlantic Flying Club Silver, Mollie Sugden Fan Club
Originally Posted by Seano76
I would have thought that if it was a once a year holiday then most people would take more care with it, not less. Surely they would have at least looked up what airport they were going to be flying into? I agree that the checkin staff were defintely at fault for part of it here but you have to assume that the passengers have some sort of idea what they are doing.
People seem to take less and less responsibility for their own actions these days - it's easier to offload culpability onto others rather than accepting a portion of blame
Old Jul 22, 2008, 5:28 am

Programs: BAEC (Gold), Hilton (Gold)
I would have thought that if it was a once a year holiday then most people would take more care with it, not less. Surely they would have at least looked up what airport they were going to be flying into?
Why ? Just because you do something doesn't mean others do.

The fact of the matter is these people got to the airport on time, checked in correctly and were given their boarding passes by the airline. They looked at the boarding passes and (presumably) assumed Bodrum was the name of the local airport they were flying to (see my EasyJet-obscure-airport point above).

They got to the gate on time, the gate agent allowed them to board, they got on the flight and were taken to Bodrum airport.

I cannot see what they have done that is so wrong as to merit being called stupid, too stupid to have children and a myriad of other insults. Nor do I think it reasonable to expect a member of the general public to spot something like an incorrect flight number when a check-in agent who is trained (one hopes) to issue the correct paperwork and make sure you are given the correct boarding pass cannot do so.

The airline and their agents are quite clearly at fault here - if any blame lies with the passengers at all it is one of being too trustworthy of the holiday company / airline and not suspicious enough to check everything in minute detail and get worked up and totally anal over a flight number.

BAH
Old Jul 22, 2008, 6:12 am

Programs: Mucci, BA Gold, HHonours Diamond, BA AMEX PremPlus
Originally Posted by BAHumbug
The airline and their agents are quite clearly at fault here - if any blame lies with the passengers at all it is one of being too trustworthy of the holiday company / airline and not suspicious enough to check everything in minute detail and get worked up and totally anal over a flight number.
So the pax are completely absolved of guilt for clearly not having read or checked the travel documents that the tour company will have provided? I agree with those that say the passengers must take at least some of the responsibility.
Old Jul 22, 2008, 6:16 am
Fontaine d'honneur du Flyertalk

Programs: Reine des Muccis de Pucci; Foreign Elitist (according to others)
Originally Posted by Polk
Pucci I have long admired your contributions to this Board (including your superb TFTG) and never thought I would be in disagreement with you but in this case I do believe you are incorrect in your analogy. BAHumbug's taxi analogy seems much closer to the position these people were in. I agree that they had no idea where they were going but when I get in a cab and ask the driver to take me somewhere I often don't know the route but expect to get taken where I asked.

You or I would do much more research if we were taking an overseas trip but there are people who just want some sun and sand and aren't really that concerned about where it is or how they get there. In this case I do believe that the blame lies primarily with the check-in and, although the family involved may be as thick as two short planks, the fact they got on the wrong plane in these circumstances does not, IMHO, provide sufficient evidence to reach this conclusion.

BA is right my Sweet. I am flawed. I admit it.

I have been shopping last week with Pearl. Pearl is to driving what fish are to bicycles. We were stopped by a copper who had nothing better to do and he said

"Good Morning Madam. Did you not what the colour of the light was that you drove across"

"What light" said Pearl

"The red one" says he

"No it was yellow when she got there (I knew d*mn well she had not seen it."

He gave her a lecture on paying due care and attention. Now Pearl is not thick - far from it. She is however far more interested in the comings and goings of her neighbours in Pine Walk than in concentrating on her driving. I have never yet had to change my knickers after going to Kingston with her - but it has been a close call. (Tip from Nurse Pucci - remember in any car crash the first thing to go will be the bladder as that is where the belt goes. If it is full it could lead to Scepticemia).

What has this to do with the terminally stupid in Cardiff - well if they are really that stupid they really do need to be shown how to do up a seat belt. I had long thought that the most redundant piece of information going as I never believed that anyone could be that stupid. The Welsh are not stupid and I bet over the gate it had "Bodrum" "Alanya" or wherever.

BAHumbug's analogy is even better - and if I am flawed I hope that you still love me anyway.
Old Jul 22, 2008, 6:22 am

Programs: Muccihood (Services to Poetry),BAEC Blue, Virgin Atlantic Flying Club Silver, Mollie Sugden Fan Club
Originally Posted by PUCCI GALORE
BA is right my Sweet. I am flawed. I admit it.

BAHumbug's analogy is even better - and if I am flawed I hope that you still love me anyway.
Of course everyone adores you - and even more so for accepting some responsibility for your own actions - unlike some other people in this world

Love and kisses
Cabin Boy x
Old Jul 22, 2008, 6:27 am

Programs: Meh!
I think you might find that the boarding passes issued at Cardiff for a charter flight might well be preprinted cards with little info on them, compared to the scheduled ones the users of this board are used to.

As for their contribution to the gene pool...

I have known an eminent person who flew to Budapest (her choice of destination) when she had meant to attend a conference in Bucharest.

I have also known work colleagues (seasoned travellers) who turned up at LHR to catch flights which were departing from LGW and vice versa, a not too uncommon an occurrence!
Old Jul 22, 2008, 6:27 am

Programs: BA GGL, VS Gold, BD Gold, Flying Blue Platinum, IC RA, Hilton Diamond, Eurostar Carte Blanche
Originally Posted by PUCCI GALORE
I have never yet had to change my knickers after going to Kingston with her - but it has been a close call.
What images this will conjure up for HIDDY I can only imagine

Is that Kingston, Jamaica or Upon Thames?
Old Jul 22, 2008, 6:47 am
Fontaine d'honneur du Flyertalk

Programs: Reine des Muccis de Pucci; Foreign Elitist (according to others)
Originally Posted by BA1A
What images this will conjure up for HIDDY I can only imagine

Is that Kingston, Jamaica or Upon Thames?
With all that stuff he downloads from Redhot he needs little to conjure.

Upon Thames - Gawd - she's a public danger in the UK why should they have her inflicted on them.
Old Jul 22, 2008, 7:18 am

Programs: QFF WP
Originally Posted by zedhead
It's not unfair to expect pax to know flight number.
Personally, I neither readily know, nor care about, the flight number until I'm looking at the departures board to figure out if I have enough time to visit the lounge. At which point I generally read the flight number off... the boarding pass.

Many people would not even do this, I venture. They'll have been told the gate number by the check-in agent (possibly even have it scribbled on the ticket) and go directly there.

With that said, while the majority of blame lies with the airline, IMHO, the pax in question should certainly be feeling at least a little bit embarassed.

I bet they never get on a plane without being sure of its destination again, though !
Old Jul 22, 2008, 7:22 am

I think that it just highlights how "varied" this world is... the posters on this forum represent a very small percentage of the average demographic: intelligent, well educated and generally very well travelled.

It isn't that the other 95% of the population are "thick", just that most of the posters here are pretty exceptional and might sometimes forget that

I think that people have said about "going on a package holiday" is true: the person that the story is about knew that they were going to "Lanzerote" (a nice hotel on a beach there - they may have known the name of the resort, that's about it). Booking a package holiday, they expect it all to be taken care of for them. That is the "charm" of a package holiday - no thinking/organisation required! And why most of us here would avoid them like the plague...

The world is an interesting place. If you compare what lives are like now compared with 50/60 years ago, they are almost unrecognisable: the choices, access to information and responsibilities people can have. But, at the same time, I think that demands made on people can be a lot higher too: life is nowhere near as simple as it was 50/60 years ago and some people struggle with that. The same can be said for employment too: there are a LOT more jobs out there which require creative or methodical thinking: some people rise to the occasional, but some people really stuggle with it. People aren't any thicker than they were 50/60 years ago, it is just that the demands and expectations on people are so much higher.

Ok, the people in the story and not likely to win any prizes for intellect, but they are just pretty normal people who make understandable (if amusing) mistakes. Package Holidays are supposedly there to look after people who want someone else to do the worrying for them...

Boo
Old Jul 22, 2008, 7:27 am

Programs: QF Gold, a whole bunch of other useless non status cards
Just looking at the story on The Times website and it appears the husband was an engineer. I realise this is a big generalisation but I would have to say that pretty much all of the engineers I know are quite obsessed with knowing details, it strikes me as being a bit strange that one would not even know what airport he was flying to, flight numbers etc.

As per my previous post I agree that most of the blame lies with the check-in agent but even so, passengers have to take some responsibility for knowing the details. Apart from anything else presumably the planes were taking off at different times, wouldn't that cause most people to check just to make sure that they were on the right flight? I know if my flight had a different departure time then I would check it with someone at check-in or that gate?
Old Jul 22, 2008, 8:46 am

Programs: BAEC (Gold), Hilton (Gold)
Just looking at the story on The Times website and it appears the husband was an engineer.
Unfortunately, in the UK at least, the person who rolls up to mend your washing machine or photocopier is referred as an 'engineer'.

One of many reasons why the 'profession' is so little valued in this country any more.

I can see where you're coming from re: Mr and Mrs Unfortunate on the flight times - but given the pretty-much-routine lateness of departing flights from any airport in the UK I doubt any of us would be that concerned.

BAH
Old Jul 22, 2008, 8:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Silver going for Gold
Originally Posted by bjorns
He was talking a lot about how much he was looking forward to visiting Finland, where some distant ancestor originated from.

After listening to him talking alot about what he was going to do and see in Finland, I asked him how long he was staying in Sweden, before going on to Finland.

Was he staying for a bit, or was he just changing planes?

For the first time since boarding, he went quite.

'Stockholm is the capital of Finland, isn't it?' he asked.
Maybe his history references were a few hundred years old when Finland was ruled by Sweden.
Old Jul 22, 2008, 8:54 am

Location: 15 minutes west of LHR, Stockholm, or somewhere inbetween.
Programs: BAEC Gold GGL, CCR, GfL, Mucci des Recherches des Consommations Exotiques.
I just remembered, there is a little instance that I should own up to.

This happened quite a few years ago, and while I didn't jet of to the wrong country, but I did misread the ticket and got the flight number and departure time mixed up.

In my own defence, I'd woken up in the morning with lumbago and just gave the tickets a glance, before going of to A&E.

When it came to checking the tickets before departing to the airport, I realised my flight was just taking off.

A quick call to the airline in question, a very sympathetic agent at the other end and I was re-booked for the next day.

bjorns
Old Jul 22, 2008, 9:00 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by Cabin Boy
Dumb as rocks these people. And they breed.
^^^

made note to myself NEVER drink my morning coffee and read FT at the same time, it simply takes too long to clean up after myself!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.