Wiki Posts
Search

OT: flight to wrong country

Search this Thread

Old Jul 21, 2008, 10:44 am
Original Poster

OT: flight to wrong country

From bbc:

A family who were bound for a week's holiday in Lanzarote are back home after a check-in desk mix-up meant they caught a flight to Turkey instead.

Charles Coray, his wife Tanya and their nine-year-old daughter Phoebe did not realise the mistake until they landed and a hostess said "welcome to Turkey".

They were issued the wrong boarding passes by a ground handling worker at Cardiff airport on Sunday morning.

The family have accepted First Choice's offer of a holiday to Ibiza instead.

The Corays, from Llanishen, Cardiff, had booked an all-inclusive holiday with First Choice in a five-star hotel in the Canary Islands and were supposed to be flying into Arrecife, Lanzarote.

Charles and Tanya Coray
Last resort - the family are now booked on an alternative holiday

But instead they found themselves in Bodrum airport, Turkey where they then had to pay a Ł10 visa charge per person before boarding a plane back to Cardiff.

Mr Coray said they had not realised their mistake because their boarding pass stated only Bodrum airport and not that it was in Turkey.

He also said there were no announcements in the departure lounge about the flight and that as soon as they boarded the plane they fell asleep.

"It was about 6.30 in the morning when we arrived at Cardiff airport and we were directed to the Servisair desk. We did not realise that more than one flight was being checked in there.

"We were half asleep and didn't realise that the girl on the desk had put us on the wrong plane.

Map showing the Canary Islands and Turkey
The Coray family were forced to pay Ł10 visa charges at Bodrum airport

"There weren't any announcements in the departure lounge at all. When we were called to the gate we gave them our boarding passes, got on the plane and fell asleep.

"It wasn't until the hostess said "welcome to Turkey" that the penny dropped."

The family then caught the same aircraft back to Cardiff, arriving at around 1645 BST on Sunday and were put up by their holiday company in a nearby hotel.

"First Choice tried to negotiate with us and wanted to send us to Luton in a taxi so we could get to Lanzarote yesterday," said Mr Coray.

"But we paid extra to fly from Cardiff. If we had flown from Luton it would have meant we would have had to have come back into Luton and we don't want to do this.

"Our parents went onto the internet last night and found several holidays going out from Cardiff - we could have booked one of these last night. But they told us there was nothing else available."

Mr Coray said they were not willing to holiday in Turkey and that his family were exhausted by their experience.

"My daughter is absolutely shattered. She saw her mum and me panicking when we realised what had happened and she was very upset by it. We're supposed to be having a nice time on our holiday," he said.

"We're now booked on a like-for-like holiday in Ibiza which leaves at six tonight [Monday]. My daughter has looked at the pictures in the brochure and is excited again.

"I'll make sure I check the boarding passes so we don't make that mistake again!"

A spokesman for handling agents Servisair apologised for the upset caused and said the passenger service agent who accepted them onto the wrong flight had been suspended from duty pending a hearing.

A spokeswoman for First Choice also apologised for the mistake and said the Coray family would be refunded in full for any additional expenses incurred.

"We are currently carrying out an investigation with Servisair to ensure this mistake will not happen again," she said.

Brilliant huh!
Old Jul 21, 2008, 10:46 am

Programs: F
Prod prod.

And it is naughty to quote the source in full, too.
Old Jul 21, 2008, 10:48 am
Original Poster

Oh for goodness sake! I knew I would miss it! Not really the most obvious place to have found it posted under though

appologies
Old Jul 21, 2008, 10:49 am

You are forgiven. It's just that I haven't prodded anyone for ages.
Old Jul 21, 2008, 10:50 am

Programs: BA Silver, IHG Gold, Hilton Gold, Hertz 5*, Avis Preferred Plus, Amex Plat
Can I be the first to (re)post the Sydney story?
Old Jul 21, 2008, 10:59 am

Then there was Manchester. And the wedding.
Old Jul 21, 2008, 12:02 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

I would have preferred to stay in Turkey to be honest.
Old Jul 21, 2008, 12:18 pm

Programs: Lifetime Platinum
So much for security at Cardiff....usual stuff...'nobody's to blame...lessons have been learn't'
Old Jul 21, 2008, 12:34 pm

Originally Posted by mad_rich
Can I be the first to (re)post the Sydney story?
You sod! Rght from the title I was all ready to post about someone a few years back who was flying to Sydney, Australia and ended up in Sydney, Canada. For those not familiar with the story they ended up transferring onto some turboprop in Canada and thought it was a bit of a funny way to go... and that's all from memory.

Who's third?

Seriously though - it's not difficult to see how this happens. It's easy as an FTer to know your Changi from your Hanan (), but for most it's far from clear. I'm minded to suggest that First Choice should be doing rather more than ensuring that the family will be 'refunded in full for any additional expenses incurred'.
Old Jul 21, 2008, 12:45 pm

Programs: Lifetime Platinum
Originally Posted by phillipas
Y
Seriously though - it's not difficult to see how this happens. It's easy as an FTer to know your Changi from your Hanan (), but for most it's far from clear.
I disagree....checked in, you look at your boarding card,... flight departures, to check time/gate etc., you get as far as the gate, and what does it say ? and what do they call out ?..then you must be stupid enough to get on the plane, ...boarding card checked ? (no seat already occupied?)...loads of announcements....do me a favour...the passengers must be as daft as the checkin people.
Old Jul 21, 2008, 12:54 pm

Programs: BA Silver, IHG Gold, Hilton Gold, Hertz 5*, Avis Preferred Plus, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by mike turnbull
I disagree....checked in, you look at your boarding card,... flight departures, to check time/gate etc., you get as far as the gate, and what does it say ? and what do they call out ?..then you must be stupid enough to get on the plane, ...boarding card checked ? (no seat already occupied?)...loads of announcements....do me a favour...the passengers must be as daft as the checkin people.
It's another world.

It was a bit of an eye opener to discover that people could come back from a two-week holiday without even the faintest idea of which country they'd been to.

They know they're going somewhere foreign. And if they have a boarding card for 'somewhere foreign', that's clearly good enough.
Old Jul 21, 2008, 4:10 pm

Programs: BAEC (Gold), Hilton (Gold)
Actually, I'm not sure I agree with this.

If you're given a boarding card then from that point on nobody is going to realise you're on the wrong flight except, perhaps, you.

You have an allocated seat on the plane which nobody else can get, the gate agent will happily put the boarding card through and you toddle on to the plane and away you go.

Given the propensity of many low-cost carriers for flying to weird airports that none of us have ever heard of, I think it's a bit unfair to expect the pax to know that Bodrum Airport is in Turkey (I didn't particularly know this until I read the story). As far as the pax were concerned, they did everything right and I find it extraordinary that a check-in agent could be this incompetent.

BAH
Old Jul 21, 2008, 5:04 pm

Originally Posted by BAHumbug
Actually, I'm not sure I agree with this.

If you're given a boarding card then from that point on nobody is going to realise you're on the wrong flight except, perhaps, you.

You have an allocated seat on the plane which nobody else can get, the gate agent will happily put the boarding card through and you toddle on to the plane and away you go.

Given the propensity of many low-cost carriers for flying to weird airports that none of us have ever heard of, I think it's a bit unfair to expect the pax to know that Bodrum Airport is in Turkey (I didn't particularly know this until I read the story). As far as the pax were concerned, they did everything right and I find it extraordinary that a check-in agent could be this incompetent.

BAH
It's not unfair to expect pax to know flight number.
Old Jul 22, 2008, 2:09 am
Fontaine d'honneur du Flyertalk

Programs: Reine des Muccis de Pucci; Foreign Elitist (according to others)
My thoughts entirely. Thick as the front door. No wonder Jeremy Kyle is still in business.

Mind you what on earth does this say about the handlers - don't tell me - it must be Serviceair (a misnomer if ever I heard one)
Old Jul 22, 2008, 2:29 am

Programs: Muccihood (Services to Poetry),BAEC Blue, Virgin Atlantic Flying Club Silver, Mollie Sugden Fan Club
Dumb as rocks these people. And they breed.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.