Wiki Posts
Search

Changing non-refundable tickets

Search this Thread

Old Jun 20, 2008, 11:46 am
Original Poster

Changing non-refundable tickets

Hello everyone.

I have some questions about changing non-refundable tickets. So here's the story:

A friend of mine and his girlfriend booked a cheapo Q-class ticket bsl-lhr-yvr for 6/27 throu expedia.com. The girlfriends dad died today. I now help them to deal with their flights. The gf wants to travel, but aprox. a week later. There are a few questions popping up now.

1) Is there a way to change (and not cancel) this booking for the girlfriend?

2) Who do they have to contact? BA or Expedia?

3) Will my friend be able to change the flight? (he is not related to the gf's dad, because they are not yet married)

Thank you for your help.
Old Jun 20, 2008, 11:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci, BA LTG + GGL, SPG LTP, HHonors Diamond, IHG Spire Ambassador
These days, non-refundable doesn't necessarily mean non-changeable. Most fares on BA are changeable for fee + fare difference (even longhaul WT now). Give me a minute, I will look up the Q class rules for you on ExpertFlyer.

They always need to contact the issuer - so Expedia in this case.

It could, however, be costly - if there is Q class available on the one they change to, great...but this close out, they may have to stump up for a more expensive bucket (+change fee +no doubt higher fuel surcharges since booking).

Edit: Interestingly, I can't get EF to offer a Q---- fare basis BSL-YVR. The cheapest WT (for travel close to now and also well in the future meeting all AP requirements, etc.) is SLRCEUR and even this says:

Originally Posted by Fare Rules
BETWEEN SWITZERLAND AND CANADA CANCELLATIONS BEFORE DEPARTURE CHARGE CHF 150. NOTE - CHARGES APPLY TO ADULTS AND CHILDREN AFTER DEPARTURE TICKET IS NON-REFUNDABLE. NOTE - NO SHOWS WILL BE TREATED AS CANCELLATION. WHERE THE FARE IS COMBINED WITH ANOTHER FARE THE MOST RESTRICTIVE CONDITIONS APPLY TO THE ENTIRE JOURNEY CHANGES ANY TIME CHARGE CHF 150. NOTE - UPGRADING TO ANY HIGHER FARE OR CABIN AT A CHARGE OR CHF 150. PER TRANSACTION PLUS ANY DIFFERENCE IN FARE. CHANGES ARE PERMITTED PRIOR TO THE TICKETED DEPARTURE TIME OF EACH FLIGHT ONLY. CHARGE APPLIES TO ADULTS AND CHILDREN. ORIGINAL REFUND CONDITIONS APPLY TO ANY UPGRADED TICKET. WHEN THE ITINERARY RESULTS IN A HIGHER FARE THE DIFFERENCE WILL BE COLLECTED AND THE CHF 150. CHANGE FEE WILL APPLY. WHEN THE NEW ITINERARY RESULTS IN A LOWER FARE THE CHF 150. CHANGE FEE WILL APPLY AND NO REFUND WILL BE MADE. REROUTING PERMITTED AT CHARGE OF CHF 150. MOST RESTRICTIVE RULE APPLIES TO THE ENTIRE JOURNEY ------------------------------------------------- A. CHANGES BEFORE DEPARTURE OF THE OUTBOUND FLIGHT - FARES IN EFFECT ON THE DATE THE TICKET IS REISSUED MUST BE APPLIED B. CHANGES AFTER DEPARTURE OF THE OUTBOUND FLIGHT - FARES IN EFFECT ON THE DATE OF ORIGINAL TICKET ISSUE MUST BE APPLIED IN BOTH CASES THE ORIGINAL CANCELLATION CHARGE WILL BE CARRIED FORWARD TO ANY REISSUED TICKET WHERE THE FARE IS COMBINED WITH ANOTHER FARE THE MOST RESTRICTIVE CONDITIONS APPLY TO THE ENTIRE JOURNEY UNLESS OTHERWISE SPECIFIED CANCELLATIONS PER TICKET CHARGE USD 70.00/CAD 90.00 FOR LOST TICKET. NOTE - THE SERVICE CHARGE ALSO APPLIES FOR THE REFUND/ REPLACEMENT OF MISCELLANEOUS CHARGES ORDER /MCO/ TOUR ORDERS/ SUPPLEMENTARY SERVICES VOUCHERS/ AND EXCESS BAGGAGE TICKETS
It is definitely worth calling Expedia to find out the options.
Old Jun 20, 2008, 1:19 pm

Programs: Lord OPebble - Mucci of the Hour. Diamond Class MUCCI.Chevalier du Circle Intime de Pucci
Originally Posted by Giz-mo
Hello everyone.

I have some questions about changing non-refundable tickets. So here's the story:

A friend of mine and his girlfriend booked a cheapo Q-class ticket bsl-lhr-yvr for 6/27 throu expedia.com. The girlfriends dad died today. I now help them to deal with their flights. The gf wants to travel, but aprox. a week later. There are a few questions popping up now.

1) Is there a way to change (and not cancel) this booking for the girlfriend?

2) Who do they have to contact? BA or Expedia?

3) Will my friend be able to change the flight? (he is not related to the gf's dad, because they are not yet married)

Thank you for your help.
Also start investigating travel insurance (assuming that they have some)!
Old Jun 20, 2008, 1:27 pm

Programs: AA ExPlat 4MM, AA Life Plat, Lufthansa FT, Delta Basic
Hi,

The death of a relative is one of the few causes for BA to accept to cancel or change a flight. Although you are not married, I believe that if you are booked on the same record locator of if your RLs are linked, this will apply to you as well.

Good Luck and sorry about your girlfriend's loss.
Old Jun 21, 2008, 2:48 am
Original Poster

Thank you very much for your help everyone!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.