Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

OpenSkies inaugural flight lands at JFK - w/ pics

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

OpenSkies inaugural flight lands at JFK - w/ pics

Search this Thread

Old Jun 19, 2008, 5:57 pm
formerly known as daveland
Original Poster

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LTP, Delta Platinum, Hilton Honors Diamond, Wyndham Diamond
Thumbs up OpenSkies inaugural flight lands at JFK - w/ pics

While I am not on the first JFK-ORY flight with the 20 FlyerTalkers, I was at the landing of the first ORY-JFK flight and the related press conference. Which means that while there will be a flood of trip reviews in just a few hours, you can pass that time with this "pre-trip" report

To summarize: I am *very* impressed!

I have a full review (to the best I can review without actually taking off and landing!) with about 20 pics on my blog now. Enjoy!

OpenSkies lands at JFK

(As an aside, as I was leaving Terminal 7, I got a text message from a friend who has never heard of FT and had no idea I was at the press conference. She was heading to JFK for a flight to Paris - on OpenSkies! Small world.....
Old Jun 19, 2008, 7:11 pm
Moderator, Hertz; FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: UA 1MM, BA GGL, Hyatt Glob, Hilton Diamond and others
Nice!
Now if only we can do MFU, life would be great.
Old Jun 19, 2008, 7:18 pm

Programs: BA - GGL GFL
I haven't really been following the developments of Open Skies. I was surprised to notice that it was the old style CW seats.
Old Jun 19, 2008, 7:27 pm
Suspended

the Biggest Problem I see is right now they have but 1 aircraft. What happens if it goes CX, I guess either no flight at all, or they will fly a reg 757 that belongs to BA over to be used till the OS plane is fixed.

For that alone I wouldnt fly OS as of yet.

I had this problem when BA was converting from CW to NCW and more often then not we got a CE plane. Of cause BA gave us vouchers to make up for it, I would have rather been on another Carrier w/o any voucher then be stuck in a CE seat.

Its a good idea but not with only 1 plane
Old Jun 19, 2008, 9:00 pm

Programs: BA Gold, TG Gold, HHonors Diamond, SPG Plat
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry8700/4.1.0 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/125)

CE seats on a transatlantic flight? Horrors!! Worse than WT+ ??

Last edited by KenJohn; Jun 19, 2008 at 9:01 pm
Old Jun 20, 2008, 12:42 am

Programs: BA Silver (Oneworld Sapphire), VS Silver, Skywards Blue, UA General, Qantas Bronze.
Originally Posted by craz
the Biggest Problem I see is right now they have but 1 aircraft. What happens if it goes CX, I guess either no flight at all, or they will fly a reg 757 that belongs to BA over to be used till the OS plane is fixed.

For that alone I wouldnt fly OS as of yet.
I'm sure if they needed to, they would route the flight through London, so I don't think this is a reason NOT to fly with Openskies. However, the possibility of routing via London MAY be a reason not to fly with Openskies!
Old Jun 20, 2008, 3:18 am

Originally Posted by craz
Then they would route the passengers onto BA, or L'avion. There are enough flights on that route via LHR that passengers would not be inconvienced greatly, and no way would they fly a Euro 757 instead of the OS one.

Thats just stupid.
Old Jun 20, 2008, 4:29 am

Programs: BA GGL, Gold for Life, CCR, VS Silver, HHonours Diamond
Originally Posted by TREKSTER1006
Then they would route the passengers onto BA, or L'avion. There are enough flights on that route via LHR that passengers would not be inconvienced greatly, and no way would they fly a Euro 757 instead of the OS one.

Thats just stupid.
Agreed. As they code share with L'Avion, if aircraft has tech fault, passengers would be put on their flights.
Old Jun 20, 2008, 4:32 am

Originally Posted by TREKSTER1006
Then they would route the passengers onto BA, or L'avion.
So that's actually one more reason to try open skies... if worse comes to worst, we get good old (n)ncw
Old Jun 20, 2008, 6:30 am

Originally Posted by jason8612
Nice!
Now if only we can do MFU, life would be great.
This may help:
https://www.flyopenskies.com/os/flyertalk

2 4 1 in prem+ and biz (from US only though).
Old Jun 20, 2008, 9:25 am

Programs: UA MP Premier, SPG Gold, BA Silver wanabee
Originally Posted by IFE Wizard
Agreed. As they code share with L'Avion, if aircraft has tech fault, passengers would be put on their flights.
Though bear in mind that the L'Avion product only equates to the OS Prem + product and that L'avion flies to/from EWR. Biz passengers would be put onto BA via LHR I would say - which isn't that bad. NNCW and T5 would sweeten the blow perhaps.
Old Jun 20, 2008, 11:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB , BA Gold
Originally Posted by bazzatel
Though bear in mind that the L'Avion product only equates to the OS Prem + product and that L'avion flies to/from EWR. Biz passengers would be put onto BA via LHR I would say - which isn't that bad. NNCW and T5 would sweeten the blow perhaps.
The situation is quite different from Paris or from NY. First, with a single plane and a different company (wasn't it the point to have a staff that doesnt belong to BA?), there is a greater chance of a plane going Cx with no backup plane AND no backup pilot/FAs either in Paris or NY. EC flies out of ORY, where there are no flights to LHR (and at least an hour drive/train to CDG if you are very lucky). So in ORY the only backup is l'Avion with no biz, only PE. Out of JFK, the only backup is JFK-LHR-CDG, and if you left your car at ORY, that is awful.
Old Jun 20, 2008, 2:15 pm

Programs: BA Silver (Oneworld Sapphire), VS Silver, Skywards Blue, UA General, Qantas Bronze.
Originally Posted by jakesterUK
I'm sure if they needed to, they would route the flight through London, so I don't think this is a reason NOT to fly with Openskies. However, the possibility of routing via London MAY be a reason not to fly with Openskies!
Having said that, the flight is from Orly (ORY) not CDG, so a transfer to CDG would be necessary (no direct flights from ORY) in order to connect to LHR and on to NYC.

Back to the drawing board. Let's hope they chose their most reliable 757...
Old Jun 20, 2008, 3:10 pm

Originally Posted by ramraideruk
2 4 1 in prem+ and biz (from US only though).
As I posted on another thread, an OpenSkies res agent confirmed that this offer is available for travel from France, too.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.