Wiki Posts
Search

Former CEO Bob Ayling condems 3rd runway

Search this Thread

Old May 6, 2008, 4:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, GA, LH, QR, SV, TK
Originally Posted by BahrainLad
A large number of transfer pax require a large number of flights to shift them through the hub.
This large number of flights translates into a large number of daily frequencies to key destinations - JFK being the ultimate example.
Basically - you can't have your cake and eat it!
Perhaps the Ayling view got distorted. Clearly it is disingenuous to suggest that airports make hubs.

Airlines adopt hub strategies because it allows them to operate trunk routes at high frequencies, filling up capacity with lower-yield transfers. Airports can help in establishing hubs, but BAA at LHR has never been much help in this: the airline spread across terminals, the grim transfers across the airfield and the lack of any discount to the passenger charge of transfers are quite the opposite of the assistance offered at other major European hubs.
AMS gives a juicy 60% discount on passenger fees for passengers transferring, and KLM is the major beneficiary.
Old May 6, 2008, 9:58 am

csdf,

sorry, I wasn't clear, what I meant was, I thought most people on here would be pro the 3rd runway..
Old May 6, 2008, 11:03 am
Original Poster

Programs: British Airways Executive Club, United Mileage Plus & bmi Diamond Club
Originally Posted by PhilH
What BA/LHR actually need is more efficient use of the existing runways. Mixed mode is the obvious initial step. Bigger planes is the second (and fully airline controlled). With Terminal 5 and Terminal East LHR will have sufficient terminal capacity going forward, it's the runway capacity that's already maxed out. BA should forget the "big twin" idea and concentrate on getting more A380's IMHO as I really can't see a third runway being built any time soon.
I don't understand the complications behind mixed mode, why it's not in place today - atc?

I doubt BA will 'forget' the big twin idea sincee they've gone for the strategy of frequency. They dropped a series of B747 orders for more B777s a few years back. They're obviously still intent on somesort of twinjet for bulk B747 replacement (bets on more A380s later this year too...) & keeping in mind that the current B777s will be departing the fleet & a big twin would be a perfect replacement.

56 B747 & they want to swap to fewer frequencies (eg. HKG goes from 3 to 2) etc. so more (bigger) A380s seems logical.
Old May 6, 2008, 11:11 am

Programs: BAEC redundant Bronze, AAdvantage Lifetime PLT, CO, WN, B6
Originally Posted by flyboy777
I don't understand the complications behind mixed mode, why it's not in place today - atc?
I believe there was some agreement in the past about noise that would be violated by mixed-mode operation.
Old May 6, 2008, 1:29 pm
Original Poster

Programs: British Airways Executive Club, United Mileage Plus & bmi Diamond Club
Originally Posted by bernardd
I believe there was some agreement in the past about noise that would be violated by mixed-mode operation.
Ah yes, that's why they alternate runaways at 3pm.

Cheers,

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.