FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Former CEO Bob Ayling condems 3rd runway
View Single Post
Old May 6, 2008, 11:03 am
flyboy777

Programs: British Airways Executive Club, United Mileage Plus & bmi Diamond Club
Originally Posted by PhilH
What BA/LHR actually need is more efficient use of the existing runways. Mixed mode is the obvious initial step. Bigger planes is the second (and fully airline controlled). With Terminal 5 and Terminal East LHR will have sufficient terminal capacity going forward, it's the runway capacity that's already maxed out. BA should forget the "big twin" idea and concentrate on getting more A380's IMHO as I really can't see a third runway being built any time soon.
I don't understand the complications behind mixed mode, why it's not in place today - atc?

I doubt BA will 'forget' the big twin idea sincee they've gone for the strategy of frequency. They dropped a series of B747 orders for more B777s a few years back. They're obviously still intent on somesort of twinjet for bulk B747 replacement (bets on more A380s later this year too...) & keeping in mind that the current B777s will be departing the fleet & a big twin would be a perfect replacement.

56 B747 & they want to swap to fewer frequencies (eg. HKG goes from 3 to 2) etc. so more (bigger) A380s seems logical.