Community
Wiki Posts
Search

LGW-JFK starting from 27th October

Search this Thread

Old Apr 18, 2008, 3:36 pm
Suspended

Programs: Proud owner of 3 Mucci's (yes, 3!) the latest being Chevaliere des Bains Chauds, BA Silver (6 yrs)
Originally Posted by Swanhunter
Origin and Destination.
Thanks - it's so obvious when you know the answer
Old Apr 18, 2008, 3:59 pm
Original Poster

It would seem that Calgary is losing its 777 to fulfil the last link in the aircraft shuffle equation.

MAN-JFK axed, its 767 moves to LHR to operate LHR-YYC
LHR-YYC downgraded from 777 to 767 to provide 777 to LGW-JFK
LGW-JFK started using YYC 777 from LHR

Ta Da...
Old Apr 18, 2008, 4:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Falkirk, Scotland,VS Red, BA Gold, HH Diamond,UK Amex Plat
Programs: Master of the Privy Purse des Muccis
Originally Posted by BOH
Oh, I'm well aware that BA had DC10's and posted only a few weeks ago of a flight I took on one of these to DFW in the 90's

See post #39 in http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showt...ht=dc10&page=3

The implication I read from N830MH was that DC10 is the current equipment used, hence the from me
Hi BOH,

Ooops! Sorry about that.

Regards

TBS
Old Apr 18, 2008, 10:06 pm

Programs: BA BLUE, HH, AC/UA
Originally Posted by The _Banking_Scot
Hi BOH,

Following the takeover of British Caledonian ( BCal) by BA in the 1980's the DC10s operated by BCal were used by BA ( inc PHX /LAX and New York ) before being retired

Regards

TBS

PS Lots of BA DC10 photos here;
http://www.airliners.net/search/phot...ne_version=6.0

Back in the day, JFK was the only airport in the BA network that saw all the airline's longhaul equipment types.
DC-10, 767, 747, 757, SSC
Old Apr 18, 2008, 10:31 pm

Programs: Mucci du Miel d'Or
Originally Posted by NonSmokingWindow
Back in the day, JFK was the only airport in the BA network that saw all the airline's longhaul equipment types.
DC-10, 767, 747, 757, SSC
Did it get the TriStars too?
Old Apr 19, 2008, 3:53 am

Programs: British Airways Executive Club, United Mileage Plus & bmi Diamond Club
Originally Posted by spanishflea
It would seem that Calgary is losing its 777 to fulfil the last link in the aircraft shuffle equation.

MAN-JFK axed, its 767 moves to LHR to operate LHR-YYC
LHR-YYC downgraded from 777 to 767 to provide 777 to LGW-JFK
LGW-JFK started using YYC 777 from LHR

Ta Da...
I heard Calgary was doing well & upgraded to daily service! I bet the Canadians have had enough B767 to last them a lifetime aswell! What makes you think YYC loses the big twin?
Old Apr 19, 2008, 4:34 am

Programs: Mucci du Miel d'Or
Originally Posted by flyboy777
I heard Calgary was doing well & upgraded to daily service! I bet the Canadians have had enough B767 to last them a lifetime aswell! What makes you think YYC loses the big twin?
I don't think that's the logic. If they are wanting to base an aircraft at LGW it really has to be a 777. It would be too costly to run just one 767 from LGW. So once they decided they wanted a JFK out of LGW, they would look at the 777 routes at LHR and decide where they can make the switch with the least loss in revenue. Given it's a new route, it's not surprising that YYC was one of the routes considered.
Old Apr 19, 2008, 4:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

For those travelling J, the 767 could be considered an upgrade over the 777. W too.
Old Apr 19, 2008, 4:52 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges and Environmentally Friendly Travel

BA announced that the LGW-JFK will be a 4 class service.

Also worthy of note, LHR-YYC presently goes out as 3 class for large chucks of the week, so it is doubtful the transition from 777 to 767 will cause any great hardship - to echo Swanhunter, J/W pax will likely gain from this adjustment.
Old Apr 19, 2008, 5:28 am
Suspended

Programs: Proud owner of 3 Mucci's (yes, 3!) the latest being Chevaliere des Bains Chauds, BA Silver (6 yrs)
Originally Posted by Prospero
BA announced that the LGW-JFK will be a 4 class service.
Oooh, I've always wanted to prod a Mod!
Old Apr 19, 2008, 7:09 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges and Environmentally Friendly Travel

Originally Posted by sunrisegirl
Oooh, I've always wanted to prod a Mod!
Eeeek! that tickled

I know, I thought it worth reiterating the point in view of the 767 versus 777 discussion upstream.
Old Apr 19, 2008, 7:23 am

Programs: BA GGL, Concorde Room card, KLM Silver, PC Platinum Ambassador, Marriott Platinum, UA Premier Silver
Surprised nobody has picked up on the fact that it would appear the LGW-JFK flight will be the old NCW product probably for the same money as if on a 747 guaranteed to have the new seats.

Unless it will be one of the first 777's with the new seats however it was my understanding that the roll out of these is very gradual this year.
Old Apr 19, 2008, 12:16 pm

Programs: British Airways Executive Club, United Mileage Plus & bmi Diamond Club
Originally Posted by Dan72
I don't think that's the logic. If they are wanting to base an aircraft at LGW it really has to be a 777. It would be too costly to run just one 767 from LGW. So once they decided they wanted a JFK out of LGW, they would look at the 777 routes at LHR and decide where they can make the switch with the least loss in revenue. Given it's a new route, it's not surprising that YYC was one of the routes considered.
My issue isn't so much with aircraft type more with the route. Why Calgary?

Originally Posted by flyclub
Surprised nobody has picked up on the fact that it would appear the LGW-JFK flight will be the old NCW product probably for the same money as if on a 747 guaranteed to have the new seats.

Unless it will be one of the first 777's with the new seats however it was my understanding that the roll out of these is very gradual this year.
I wonder if this particular B777 will be NCW upgraded or they could get into trouble for saying that it's on all London - JFK flights
Old Apr 19, 2008, 12:21 pm

Programs: BA, LH, VS, Hyatt, SPG
My issue isn't so much with aircraft type more with the route. Why Calgary?
Well, I have wondered whether YUL would be downgraded from a 777 to 767, or even dropped. Flights can be full, but it is reported to be one of the lowest-yielding North American routes.

I wonder if this particular B777 will be NCW upgraded or they could get into trouble for saying that it's on all London - JFK flights
All BA needs to do is say is "excluding BA***" as it already has done in respect of the 777 operated flight to JFK from LHR.
Old Apr 19, 2008, 12:24 pm
Original Poster

What makes you think YYC loses the big twin?
It is in the timetables for the winter schedule now.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.