Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Seat reclining during take-off: rules and etiquette question

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Seat reclining during take-off: rules and etiquette question

Search this Thread

Old Apr 14, 2008, 3:15 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by Worthing Scottish
Exactly!

What it means is they then have a choice - recline and reduce their own legroom, or stay upright. That way no-one else is inconvenienced whatsoever, and each pax has a simple rational choice to make with regard to their own comfort.
Cathay Pacific
Old Apr 14, 2008, 3:20 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver; Muccis du Monde des Peluches
Secondly, there was something in one of the Sunday papers I was perusing in the lounge whilst mulling over the 90 min delay about an economy seat that works in a similar way to the CW seat, i.e. fixed back and sliding seat. That would be the best of both world IMO ^
In you do this in the CW way, with a fixed hard back and a sliding part in front of that, it is a very inefficient use of space in Y - it creates an unused triangle behind the back of the reclining passenger.
Old Apr 14, 2008, 3:37 pm

Exactly!

What it means is they then have a choice - recline and reduce their own legroom, or stay upright. That way no-one else is inconvenienced whatsoever, and each pax has a simple rational choice to make with regard to their own comfort.
And, Exactly!^ to you. Those slide-recline seats pre-date Knee Defender™ and we've been arguing for them from the beginning. Other than changing seat pitch (at the expense of fewer rows), it's either slide-recline seats or the Ryanair/no-recline approach -- or, DIY protection.
Old Apr 14, 2008, 3:41 pm

Programs: BA Gold (just!), BA Amex PP, Amex Plat, Accor Fav Guest, Priority Club Platinum
Originally Posted by HIDDY
That's the ones!

Originally Posted by LeisureFirst
In you do this in the CW way, with a fixed hard back and a sliding part in front of that, it is a very inefficient use of space in Y - it creates an unused triangle behind the back of the reclining passenger.
Fair point, but perhaps a pre-set recline of a few more degrees could be built in?
Old Apr 17, 2008, 11:53 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA GGL, SQ PPS, HH Diamond, SPG LTP/100, Marriott Platinum, Mucci des Lois Constitutionelles
Hi all

I got this in the post this morning. I've highlighted the relevant paragraph. I'm not going to pick up on various inaccuracies in other parts of the letter as I wasn't actually expecting Customer Relations to say anything remotely interesting...

Cheers
/MHL

Dear MileHighLawyer

I am sorry that your flight was disrupted by the poor behaviour of one of your fellow passengers. I completely understand how disappointing this must have been for you, especially as you mentioned this to one of our crew who did not speak to the other passengers. Thank you for contacting us about it.

To make your flight more comfortable we may ask passengers to refrain from reclining their seats until after the seatbelt signs have been switched off. However, we are aware that passengers may recline their seats after take off.

I appreciate that it can be upsetting when people behave in an inconsiderate way. On every flight, we have a cabin service director and he or she manages our response when a problem like this arises. They are in contact with the captain too, and together they decide the best course of action. It is not always an easy decision to make, as we have to carefully weigh up whether intervening will inflame the situation or not. Our first consideration is always the safety of our customers.

Again, please accept my apologies. Incidents like this are rate but they are always unpleasant and we hope that you will travel with us again in happier circumstances.

Yours sincerely

XX
Customer Relations
Old Apr 17, 2008, 12:00 pm

Originally Posted by MileHighLawyer
Hi all

I got this in the post this morning. I've highlighted the relevant paragraph. I'm not going to pick up on various inaccuracies in other parts of the letter as I wasn't actually expecting Customer Relations to say anything remotely interesting...

Cheers
/MHL
You've got too much time in your hands MHL.
Old Apr 17, 2008, 12:05 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA GGL, SQ PPS, HH Diamond, SPG LTP/100, Marriott Platinum, Mucci des Lois Constitutionelles
You've got too much time in your hands MHL.
I'm a very fast touch-typist. Now where's that golden hairbrush...
Old Apr 18, 2008, 10:34 am

Programs: BAEC Silver; Muccis du Monde des Peluches
Originally Posted by OPebble
I would have thought that the sensible and safe rule (from a personal safety point of view) is wait till the seat belt signs are off. After all switching the seat belt signs on goes hand in hand with an exhortation to return seat backs to the upright position. Surely the reverse is true?
The trouble is this could be rather a long time if there's a bit of turbulence - and one might be desperate for a snooze.

My real reason for replying is actually that I have just realized, now you've got 38 posts under your belt, that this was your first post and I had forgotten my manners in replying to a slightly later post of yours in this same thread. So, making up for lost time, allow me to say
Welcome to FlyerTalk, OPebble.
Old Jul 11, 2008, 5:13 am

Programs: BA Silver, Marriott Gold,Orchid Silver,QF,BMI, Starwood,Hilton,Hyatt
Sorry to drag this old thread up, (I was away when the debate was raging), but on a recent CE flight I was delighted that the Gentleman, (and I use the capital with sincerity), in front of my wife politely turned around following the meal service and asked if it would bother her if he was to recline his seat. Of course she duly obliged with the polite answer and thanked him for asking in the first place.

Now, this brings up the question of general manners. Upon reflection I am amazed that this sort of action should even have registered on my radar, let alone prompted me to respond on this thread, but having read through the posts it appears that even some of the better educated patrons of this board were left a little short in the “lessons in life” department.

To those of you who say that “the seat is designed to recline and therefore I will recline it at will regardless of the consequences of my actions to those around me”, consideration for others and a please and thank you will always serve you well.

There endeth the lesson of my Mother.
Old Jul 11, 2008, 7:38 am

Originally Posted by Spitfire1
it appears that even some of the better educated patrons of this board were left a little short in the “lessons in life” department.
That counts me out then!!
Old Jul 11, 2008, 8:10 am
Fontaine d'honneur du Flyertalk

Programs: Reine des Muccis de Pucci; Foreign Elitist (according to others)
That counts me out then!!
I'm sorry but you've been around so long that I expect that most of life is a refresher course for you!

........and when was your Birthday?? Was it on Community Buzz?
Old Jul 11, 2008, 8:11 am

Programs: Tamsin - what else is there to say?
It was You would be very welcome to post on the thread congratulating him for making it safely through another year
Old Jul 11, 2008, 8:22 am
Fontaine d'honneur du Flyertalk

Programs: Reine des Muccis de Pucci; Foreign Elitist (according to others)
Originally Posted by Jenbel
It was You would be very welcome to post on the thread congratulating him for making it safely through another year
Jen - I owe you. I do not go to Community that often. But I will now.

Why did n't we do something for hte poor old boy on this Forum?
Old Jul 11, 2008, 8:26 am

Programs: Tamsin - what else is there to say?
HIDDY's thread:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=842912

Because I get fed up of being grumped at when I do.
Old Jul 11, 2008, 8:31 am

Originally Posted by Jenbel
HIDDY's thread:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=842912

Because I get fed up of being grumped at when I do.
Quite right Jenbel. ^

Anyway, it was only a birthday I'll leave the attention seeking stuff for those that celebrate two birthdays in the one year.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.