FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Seat reclining during take-off: rules and etiquette question
Old Apr 17, 2008, 11:53 am
d'Yquem

Programs: BA GGL, SQ PPS, HH Diamond, SPG LTP/100, Marriott Platinum, Mucci des Lois Constitutionelles
Hi all

I got this in the post this morning. I've highlighted the relevant paragraph. I'm not going to pick up on various inaccuracies in other parts of the letter as I wasn't actually expecting Customer Relations to say anything remotely interesting...

Cheers
/MHL

Dear MileHighLawyer

I am sorry that your flight was disrupted by the poor behaviour of one of your fellow passengers. I completely understand how disappointing this must have been for you, especially as you mentioned this to one of our crew who did not speak to the other passengers. Thank you for contacting us about it.

To make your flight more comfortable we may ask passengers to refrain from reclining their seats until after the seatbelt signs have been switched off. However, we are aware that passengers may recline their seats after take off.

I appreciate that it can be upsetting when people behave in an inconsiderate way. On every flight, we have a cabin service director and he or she manages our response when a problem like this arises. They are in contact with the captain too, and together they decide the best course of action. It is not always an easy decision to make, as we have to carefully weigh up whether intervening will inflame the situation or not. Our first consideration is always the safety of our customers.

Again, please accept my apologies. Incidents like this are rate but they are always unpleasant and we hope that you will travel with us again in happier circumstances.

Yours sincerely

XX
Customer Relations