Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Plane Food

Search this Thread

Old Apr 1, 2008, 3:26 pm

Programs: British Airways Executive Club, United Mileage Plus & bmi Diamond Club
Originally Posted by convair
I tend to use more of a business logic for such choices. I ALWAYS eat prior to flight if a very decent opportunity presents itself. Food on the plane is totally missable (I've been through every single menu choice on BA longhual multiple times by now) and 2 hours saved on the plane - that's what it amounts to between wheels-up and tray-cleared away - is two clear hours extra work, two hours extra sleep, or two hours buried in a decent novel. All save the most expensive restaurants will be worth that trade-off on a long-haul flight, even if I'm paying for myself, and frankly insignificant in the context of a $5000 ticket. I would be doing my company a disservice NOT to fork out $100 more to gain two hours rest/work time on the plane.
I too can understand such logic, but only on long haul. Surely (in Club Europe) it is a convenience to eat onboard when there's nothing else to do with no laptop power, inseat phone & a seat that is definetly not fit for sleeping in. Surely then, the lounge time is more valueable & makes use of otherwise wasted travel time.
Old Apr 1, 2008, 3:29 pm

Originally Posted by The _Banking_Scot
Hi,

Yes it is IIRC from my trial ( down one level after clearing security)

Regards

TBS
It is airside, but not one level down. It is on the terraced area overlooking a lower seating area and across to the back of the Galleries Club and Concorde. I popped in the day before T5 opened to be nosy and the staff were really snotty and off. A shame really as the airport tends to be very friendly usually, even with competitor airlines so I would have expected Plane Food to be quite welcoming to BA staff. It has also been made clear that BA staff are not welcome to eat there, not that I planned to spend that much a day on lunch anyway . Has anyone actually seen Gordon there, or is this like a Virgin brand effort where they slap the logo on and expect that to be enough?
Old Apr 1, 2008, 3:33 pm

Programs: Mucci Reperateur des Coeurs Brises
I don't see how one can compare Plane Food (or any restaurant for that matter) with lounge and/or food onboard the aircraft, either based on quality or price. Just because the price of food is included in the ticket, does not mean it is free; if I were to hazard a guess, I would say the meal one eats in J/F is much more expensive (for the passenger) than anything one might purchase in a restaurant.

I think we can all agree the quality will simply be better at a restaurant. Aircraft inherintly limit how good the food can be, and lounge food is basically a glorified all-day buffet (not exactly conducive to the best quality offerings).

Whether one is willing to pay £16 for breakfast is another story of course... we're not all accustomed to the ridiculous prices in and around London for food.
Old Apr 1, 2008, 4:22 pm
jhm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by adrianjc32
I popped in the day before T5 opened to be nosy and the staff were really snotty and off. A shame really as the airport tends to be very friendly usually, even with competitor airlines so I would have expected Plane Food to be quite welcoming to BA staff. It has also been made clear that BA staff are not welcome to eat there
This more than the negative review in the OP has put me off trying Plane Food when I next pass through this Sunday. Of the other places to eat in T5:

http://www.terminal5.ba.com/en/eat-at-terminal-5/

I may give Amato a try instead if they (like the one in Soho) do hot food like pasta, croque monsieur etc.

(In any event, whilst I haven't tried the flagship GR at RHR, I've never been that impressed with other GR restaurants I've been to, e.g. Claridges, Boxwood Cafe, Maze etc. Much better food elsewhere IMHO.)
Old Apr 1, 2008, 5:05 pm
Gaz

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold, UA Gold
Originally Posted by SchmeckFlyer
if I were to hazard a guess, I would say the meal one eats in J/F is much more expensive (for the passenger) than anything one might purchase in a restaurant.
In terms of the actual cost of the food to the airline, even F/J food is laughably cheap. I don't remember the actual amounts, but I did read an article on it once, and the average spend on a J passenger (not including drinks) wasn't much more than a large Burger King.

What the passenger actually pays for the food will never be known, as it's impossible to know the airline mark-up when it's provided as part of the ticket price.
Old Apr 2, 2008, 2:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: BA, VS, HH, IHG, MB, MR
Its not impossible to know - Alpha Airports (before it was taken over and was still a PLC) which caters BA from Gatwick used to put the £ numbers in its analyst presentations which were freely available on its website.
Old Apr 2, 2008, 4:48 am

Programs: QF WP, Starwood Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, Avis President's Club, Amex Platinum
How does it compare to fre-flight dining in the CCR ?
Old Apr 2, 2008, 4:55 am

Programs: BA Gold, LH Sen, MUCCI, Junior Jet Club.
It's ironic that the point of Plane Food is that passengers can eat a gourmet meal on the ground before their flight, free from the constraints of aircraft galleys such as space, microwaves etc.....and then they ban naked flames in Terminal 5.
Old Apr 2, 2008, 5:13 am

I wonder why they ban naked flames...

What can possibly happen? A terrorist convertly steals a stove for use as a deadly weapon? Someone lights a newspaper on fire with the intent of burning an aircraft, hoping nobody will notice. I just can't think of anything that could possibly happen.

Maybe igniting a bomb within the terminal itself, but there are far easier ways of gaining access to ignition sources than getting a table at Plane Food. Matches. Smuggled cigerette lighters. There are probably dozens of duty free items that could, either by themselves or in combination, serve as an ignition source.

Why not just seal off the area with open flames, and only permit access by authorised personnel with the appropriate security clearance?
Old Apr 2, 2008, 6:19 am

I seem to remember an F meal costing around the £10 mark when somebody last explained it me, but that was a few years ago. Having just seen Raffles breakdown of the typical cost of a meal in London I've suddenly realised how I've managed to fritter away so much money (and gain so much weight!!!)
Old Apr 2, 2008, 6:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: BA, VS, HH, IHG, MB, MR
Thinking about it, Plane Food won't be paying VAT (and all restaurant meals are VATable in the UK) so the food should be cheaper than usual. And the beer and wine should at giveaway prices! I assume this is not the case ....

BA Meals - I've dug out my old numbers. In 2003, Alpha was paid £3.45 per BA meal (averaged across all classes) it provided at Gatwick. This was down from £3.60 in 2002.
Old Apr 2, 2008, 7:04 am

Originally Posted by SchmeckFlyer
I wonder why they ban naked flames...
I wonder if it has anything to do with the fire in the T1 terminal a few years ago. Whilst I can't remember how it was started, doesn't Burgerking make a big thing about their food being flame grilled?
Old Apr 2, 2008, 8:16 am

Originally Posted by Raffles
Thinking about it, Plane Food won't be paying VAT (and all restaurant meals are VATable in the UK) so the food should be cheaper than usual. And the beer and wine should at giveaway prices! I assume this is not the case ....

BA Meals - I've dug out my old numbers. In 2003, Alpha was paid £3.45 per BA meal (averaged across all classes) it provided at Gatwick. This was down from £3.60 in 2002.
Why no VAT? The meals presumably are not being exported, and technically don't restaurant meals fall into the service category? IIRC, most countries do not permit VAT refunds and/or exemptions for services.

When I was comparing the cost of F meals and Plane Food, I didn't mean the actual cost (to BA, for example) but what it costs to the passenger as part of the ticket. Of course, it's impossible to quantify I would imagine, but if you were to break down a premium fare into fuel costs, crew costs, aircraft maintencence/ownership costs, seat maintenence/purchase costs, staff, cleaning, landing fees, cost to operate lounge per passenger etc. you probably come up with a fairly large number for the onboard meal. And my guess would be that it is much higher than the cost of a restaurant meal. Obviously I can't prove it, however.
Old Apr 2, 2008, 10:34 am

Originally Posted by Raffles

If they are not paying VAT - I don't know the regulations - then surely they couldn't reclaim VAT on the inputs, so they would only get the benefit of the VAT saving on their margin - not such a significant benefit.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.