Plane Food

Old Mar 28, 2008, 10:18 pm
jhm
Original Poster

Plane Food

I just read the review of Plane Food by the Daily Telegraph's former restaurant critic here:

http://www.areyoureadytoorder.co.uk/

Whilst the restriction on using naked flames for cooking is disappointing and there are apparent issues with the food (in particular, the quality of the ingredients) which can be fixed, I didn't quite agree with her conclusion:

The food offering is simply not good enough to tempt First and Business class passengers out of their exclusive lounges. At 19 for a ribeye steak (chips 2.95 extra) and 18 for a small strip of sea bass, it is way too expensive for budget travellers. Who will come here, to sit at the blocky little tables and eat this underwhelming food with the strange, undersized cutlery? Only Gordon Ramsay knows.
I don't know which J/F lounges she has in mind as the food in the lounges I've visited (including the LHR CCR, HKG Wing/Pier F, SIN SKL T2 F, JFK VS CH etc - but not the FRA FCT nor the new QF F lounges) come nowhere near the quality of a decent restaurant meal (which I assume Plane Food is meant to be albeit with scope for improvement). Lounge food is mostly buffet style finger food or ready made stuff which has been heated up, grilled or microwaved or - at best - something basic like eggs which have been cooked from scratch. I also don't understand the reference to budget travellers as Plane Food is not aimed at that market at all.

Anyway, the proof of the pudding is in the eating so I will try it and see.
Old Mar 28, 2008, 10:29 pm
Gaz

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold, UA Gold
I don't think she implies that lounge food is better than Plane Food. More that in order to tempt the velvet-rope brigade out of their nice little sealed lounges and back into the main terminal where they'll rub shoulders with the plebs, the food really would need to be particularly special.

Personally, it's unlikely I'd use it. If I'm flying J/C I'd rather just enjoy the largish meal after take off. It probably won't be as good, but it's included in the ticket price so you might as well. In any case I'm unlikely to want to be in the airport long enough to enjoy a long meal - like most other frequent travellers I try and minimise the time I spend hanging around airports.

The only time when I could see myself using a place like this is if I was stuck in the airport with a good amount of time to kill (eg: a long delay), so I could sit down and enjoy it properly. The setting is key here for me though... if it feels separate from the main terminal with a lounge-like feel, where you can get away from the hustle and enjoy your food in a nice setting, that's good. If it's part of a large open-plan design where you sit eating whilst the masses wander past peering in and gawking, then no thanks.
Old Mar 29, 2008, 1:43 am

Programs: BA Gold, LH Sen, MUCCI, Junior Jet Club.
Just as long as they don't mess with

Originally Posted by Plane Food website
Smoked salmon and caviar Croque Monsieur with apple and walnut
I'll be happy. However, the no naked flame thing is insane.
Old Mar 29, 2008, 5:06 am
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy LT Plat, Hilton Diamond, GHA Tit, BA Gold, Turkish Elite
Looks like I'll be sticking to soggy Terraces sandwiches and occasional overcooked First pasta!
Old Mar 29, 2008, 5:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Gaz
I don't think she implies that lounge food is better than Plane Food. More that in order to tempt the velvet-rope brigade out of their nice little sealed lounges and back into the main terminal where they'll rub shoulders with the plebs, the food really would need to be particularly special.
Exactly. I need a bloody good reason to leave the lounge, and an overpriced, average-quality meal is not one...
Old Mar 29, 2008, 5:41 am

Might make a convenient place to spend your 150 travel inconvenience allowance from Amex Plat if your flight is delayed by four hours I guess...
Old Mar 29, 2008, 12:45 pm

Programs: BA Gold, BD Gold, PC Ambassador, SPG Gold
Stupid question, but I presume Plane Food is airside?
Old Mar 29, 2008, 12:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Falkirk, Scotland,VS Red, BA Gold, HH Diamond,UK Amex Plat
Programs: Master of the Privy Purse des Muccis
Originally Posted by PhilH
Hi,

Yes it is IIRC from my trial ( down one level after clearing security)

Regards

TBS
Old Mar 29, 2008, 12:51 pm
Fontaine d'honneur du Flyertalk

Programs: Reine des Muccis de Pucci; Foreign Elitist (according to others)

Darling if you are stupid so am I. I have never heard of Plane Food. What is it? Has that man Ramsay got something to do with it?
Old Mar 29, 2008, 12:52 pm
Suspended

Yes - airside

Will be interesting to see how it does. My guess is "Joe Average" who would never go to Gordon Ramsey this is a "once in a lifetime" type opportunity to eat from the master. In the context of a vacation trip where one might spend several thousand dollars when all is said and done, the extra $100 or so at Plane Food will just lighten the wallet in the same way as that half-day sightseeing tour of the Everglades, etc.

My guess is you won't see Gordie regs in Plane Food
Old Mar 29, 2008, 1:56 pm

I've got one of those 200 quid BA vouchers to use at Gordon Ramsey. From what I've read, even with a friend, sounds doubtful I can rack up that much in a single sitting. We'd the idea of using it for an extended meal, but all I'm reading about are 20 quid steaks. And we aren't heavy into wine, a glass each, maybe two. Are there more extensive menu options? Or does anyone know whether credit is given for the unused portion of one of those vouchers?
Old Mar 29, 2008, 2:03 pm

Originally Posted by Gaz
Personally, it's unlikely I'd use it. If I'm flying J/C I'd rather just enjoy the largish meal after take off. It probably won't be as good, but it's included in the ticket price so you might as well. In any case I'm unlikely to want to be in the airport long enough to enjoy a long meal - like most other frequent travellers I try and minimise the time I spend hanging around airports.
I tend to use more of a business logic for such choices. I ALWAYS eat prior to flight if a very decent opportunity presents itself. Food on the plane is totally missable (I've been through every single menu choice on BA longhual multiple times by now) and 2 hours saved on the plane - that's what it amounts to between wheels-up and tray-cleared away - is two clear hours extra work, two hours extra sleep, or two hours buried in a decent novel. All save the most expensive restaurants will be worth that trade-off on a long-haul flight, even if I'm paying for myself, and frankly insignificant in the context of a $5000 ticket. I would be doing my company a disservice NOT to fork out $100 more to gain two hours rest/work time on the plane.
Old Mar 29, 2008, 3:07 pm
Gaz

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold, UA Gold
Originally Posted by convair
I tend to use more of a business logic for such choices. I ALWAYS eat prior to flight if a very decent opportunity presents itself. Food on the plane is totally missable (I've been through every single menu choice on BA longhual multiple times by now) and 2 hours saved on the plane - that's what it amounts to between wheels-up and tray-cleared away - is two clear hours extra work, two hours extra sleep, or two hours buried in a decent novel. All save the most expensive restaurants will be worth that trade-off on a long-haul flight, even if I'm paying for myself, and frankly insignificant in the context of a $5000 ticket. I would be doing my company a disservice NOT to fork out $100 more to gain two hours rest/work time on the plane.
I do see the logic... I think my choices come down to my humble upbringings, if the food is free, I feel like I should be having it. Actually, it think it's more a case that my in-flight strategy involves trying to make the flight go as quickly as possible. 2 hours of meal at the beginning immediately takes a sizeable chunk out of the flight.
Old Mar 29, 2008, 7:10 pm

Programs: BA Blue, IC Spire Ambassador
Originally Posted by Gaz
I do see the logic... I think my choices come down to my humble upbringings, if the food is free, I feel like I should be having it. Actually, it think it's more a case that my in-flight strategy involves trying to make the flight go as quickly as possible. 2 hours of meal at the beginning immediately takes a sizeable chunk out of the flight.
Same here -it 'eats' time from your flight!

For EU trips though, I might well be tempted. Considering that twice this year already I have been offered an ET sandwich in Club because apparantly some pax upgraded at the last minute, BA didn't order any additional catering and the purser didn't know who had booked when so just did a first come first served basis. I am not the type to make a scene but a full J ticket to Berlin on an evening flight sort of deserves something more than a sandwich IMHO -anyway, both times I was offered an extra et 'meal'

Whilst I like some of the food in Club Europe, (especially the prawn salad on afternoon flights), depending on the flight departure time, you need to call room service when you arrive, leading to a late night.

Thinking about it, I'll try it later on today (sunday) during my (in theory) 6 hour T5 connection and report back. I'm on the BA870 evening flight to BUD.
Old Mar 29, 2008, 7:29 pm
jhm
Original Poster

IAMORGAN, I look forward to hearing how it goes!

Whilst I understand why some may feel reluctant to eat outside of the lounge (or the food available on board) because it's been paid for already, it boils down for me to "you get what you pay for". (For the same reason, a lot of people take out private medical insurance even though the NHS is available.)

If I have a few hours at the airport and don't need to work etc, why endure what could at best be called the average "free" food offerings in a lounge (or on board) if there's a better alternative available ? IMO, for a premium leisure traveller (paying for CE, CW or F) or a business traveller (on expenses), twenty quid for a steak or similar isn't much in the grand scheme of things.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.