Search this Thread

Old Mar 29, 2008, 11:48 am
dc3

Thumbs down T5 is not airport terminal - is is a shopping mall

From local UK colleague:

It's a fiasco. Heathrow is run as a giant shopping mall with a couple of
runways as an add-on. The Terminal 5 map shows the exact
location of Harrods, Prada, etc. - every shop and every restaurant - but
does not show the location of the departure gates!
Old Mar 29, 2008, 11:50 am
BOH

Programs: IC Hotels Spire, BA Gold
Originally Posted by squeeler
Well as the excitement builds for my PHL-LHR-BSL on Sunday/Monday I wonder what the transfer experience between T4 & T5 is - anyone had the pleasure? Two hours is my scheduled gap, which clearly means no shower, shave etc. Perhaps the reported "smooth running" will help me in this regard.
See reply #599
Old Mar 29, 2008, 11:51 am
Ambassador: Oneworld Alliance

Programs: BA Gold (GGL), Hilton Diamond, AA Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by BOH
See reply #599
Thanks a lot!! Handbags only of course.
Old Mar 29, 2008, 11:52 am

Programs: BA Gold/Marriott Gold/HH Diamond/IC Plat Amba
I wonder if any thought is being put into delaying moving the remaining longhaul flights out of T4 till after the end of April?
Old Mar 29, 2008, 12:04 pm

Programs: BA, LH, VS, Hyatt, SPG
Originally Posted by Crampedin13A
I wonder if any thought is being put into delaying moving the remaining longhaul flights out of T4 till after the end of April?
If this isn't sorted over the next few days, then I think its highly likely. Or at the very least, they will stagger the move of T4 flights.
Old Mar 29, 2008, 12:25 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver; Muccis du Monde des Peluches
getting worse not better?

The opening sentence of the BA news item on the wireless just now (Radio 4) was as follows.

The chaos and disruption at Heathrow Airport appears to be increasing.
Old Mar 29, 2008, 12:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Note they are continuing to be inflexible about ticket changes.

The 662 was 4 hours late leaving this morning, and I do not wish to spend half the day at T5 tomorrow, with the risk of being imprisoned airside again if /when it gets cancelled.

I asked if I can upgrade my (pretty expensive) C class fare to full J and re-route via a destination served from T4 instead. The answer - no.

They won't touch a restricted ticket (mine allows upgrades but not vol reroutes). Not unless the flight is >2 hours late. So I have to throw away the ticket, or risk another "experience" at T5 tomorrow.

Not impressed.
Old Mar 29, 2008, 12:39 pm

Amen!

Originally Posted by dc3
From local UK colleague:

It's a fiasco. Heathrow is run as a giant shopping mall with a couple of
runways as an add-on. The Terminal 5 map shows the exact
location of Harrods, Prada, etc. - every shop and every restaurant - but
does not show the location of the departure gates!
I've always said the same thing as a frequent traveler through T3. LHR is little more than a shopping mall masquerading as an airport. I'm sure the retail subsidizes the costs of this profit-making facility but it's so over-the-top to be beyond ridiculous. Once through security, at T3, you don't know if you're in an airport terminal or a liquor store. It's obscene and shameless.
Old Mar 29, 2008, 12:44 pm

Programs: BAEC Bronze :(
I'm not sure what to make of the baggage situation being reported.

Is this just a tiny portion of the bags from the flights that are actually still getting out, or are a significant number not making it aboard?

Also, is it just the case that some flights aren't getting any bags on board, rather than just a random selection?

If so, is there any pattern to which flights aren't getting their bags?

Currently trying to work out how to cram two weeks worth of clothes into a single carry-on bag...
Old Mar 29, 2008, 12:48 pm

Cram everything into your carry on. Leave the laptop behind and stuff some clothes into the laptop bag!

Maybe bring a handbag and stuff the laptop half way in there!
Old Mar 29, 2008, 12:48 pm

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold;BA GGL; hhonors lifetime diamond; Marriott lt Gold; IH Plat Amb; Amex Centurion
Originally Posted by pdx42
...or a liquor store. It's obscene and shameless.
There is nothing obscene (at least this side of the Atlantic) about the sale of liquor
Old Mar 29, 2008, 12:52 pm

Programs: BA Gold....er now Silver...er now Bronze....er now Blue
Originally Posted by _Sin
I'm not sure what to make of the baggage situation being reported.

Is this just a tiny portion of the bags from the flights that are actually still getting out, or are a significant number not making it aboard?

Also, is it just the case that some flights aren't getting any bags on board, rather than just a random selection?

If so, is there any pattern to which flights aren't getting their bags?

Currently trying to work out how to cram two weeks worth of clothes into a single carry-on bag...
Just seems to be total chaos. BBC said on todays SFO flight, a party of school kids going skiing were told either to fly without their bags or not go.
Old Mar 29, 2008, 12:55 pm

Originally Posted by hsmall
There is nothing obscene (at least this side of the Atlantic) about the sale of liquor
Not unless you believe various publications of the UK print media
Old Mar 29, 2008, 1:00 pm

Programs: BA Blue, BMI Blue+
Originally Posted by Smirnoff
Note they are continuing to be inflexible about ticket changes.

The 662 was 4 hours late leaving this morning, and I do not wish to spend half the day at T5 tomorrow, with the risk of being imprisoned airside again if /when it gets cancelled.

I asked if I can upgrade my (pretty expensive) C class fare to full J and re-route via a destination served from T4 instead. The answer - no.

They won't touch a restricted ticket (mine allows upgrades but not vol reroutes). Not unless the flight is >2 hours late. So I have to throw away the ticket, or risk another "experience" at T5 tomorrow.

Not impressed.
So, let's get this straight. BA have a GGL passenger who has already been held hostage in T5 once in this debacle.

He is offering to pay to upgrade and reroute a ticket, at obvious inconvenience to him and obvious convenience to BA, to another flight that has capacity for tomorrow leaving from another BA terminal.

BA would get an important passenger moved from what is likely to be a problematic BA 'experience', to one that is likely to be OK.

Yet they refuse to do this, even though it is obvious it is in their best interests, however you look at it.

Given this background, what chance for the ordinary passenger if this is what someone from GGL can expect....
Old Mar 29, 2008, 1:02 pm
Fontaine d'honneur du Flyertalk

Programs: Reine des Muccis de Pucci; Foreign Elitist (according to others)
Originally Posted by Singapore_Air
Guardian - Andy Horrowitz:

Disclaimer, although I have quoted from the Daily Telegraph UK, I totally do not condone their overall political views nor agree with them whatsoever.
So you are happy to quote them but do not agree with them or is that poor use of English? Do you mean that you do not condone their political views?

I find that reading the foreign press (La Stampa/Corriere della Serra/Le Figaro/Le Monde/Die Welt) does wonders for my command of language and its idiom - according to my friends. I do recommend it.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.