Wiki Posts
Search

Heathrow Lounge Closures

Search this Thread

Old Mar 21, 2008, 10:35 am
Original Member

Location: Portland OR Double Emerald (QF and AA), DL PM/MM, Starwood Plat
Originally Posted by JONEZY00
In late May, we are arriving T5 connecting to T1 and were going to use the shower facilites in T1, Does anyone know if the "rebranded" domestic terraces lounge has showers? or would it be better to use the T5 lounges.
All of the Terraces lounges have showers at LHR (just not too many of them; I think the T1 domestic lounge has 3 showers vs. the dozens at some of the other lounges). So there may be a long waiting list for showers at T1; much better to use the T5 Arrivals lounge, if you are eligible to do so (and there is decent T5 to T1 connectivity landside, which is yet another problem!!!).
Old Mar 21, 2008, 10:45 am

Originally Posted by number_6
But all the routes that BA cares about (has competition on) will have moved to T5 by then.
Not sure what you mean by that. BA faces pretty stiff competition on the Kangaroo routes from, off the top of my head, SQ, TG, EK, CX, GF, Etihad, MH (and there are probably more). SQ will imminently be plying the A380 on the route with EK following. It's far from the comfortable duopoly that BA has on many routes which are moving to T5.

The closure of the CR and F lounge is more an indication of the reduction in the volume of pax not their importance to BA. There is a limit to how many all-singing all-dancing lounges that you can sensibly and commercially make available for your pax, particulary in a Terminal that will be graced with only, I think, 6 departures a day when it is down to just the Oz/SIN flights.
Old Mar 21, 2008, 11:40 am

Programs: BA - Gold for Life, CCR & GGL; IC Spire Elite Ambassador; Diamond Hilton Honors; Hyatt Discoverist
First lounge at Gate 1?

I have just checked the booking for my post 29 April F flight to BKK and the following is written, where previously (I think) it mentioned the Concorde Room

" After check-in

British Airways FIRST Lounge
Location:Through Security, and turn left at Gate 1. (Lounge access is subject to capacity restrictions).

First lounges offer an environment that allows you to catch up on work or simply unwind in an area that is elegant, calm and welcoming.
"

So perhaps there will be a First section in this lounge........?
Old Mar 21, 2008, 1:10 pm

Yes, both the CR and F lounges are closed then and "replaced" with the J Terraces in T4.
But all the routes that BA cares about (has competition on) will have moved to T5 by then -- hence the April 29 closing, and not March! So it is very much a business decision, and "what are those pax really worth to us".
BA does have competition to SYD (including Virgin Atlantic) and SYD flights are staying at T4, I believe, so if they will be stopping providing a First lounge, that's a bit premature. I would be a bit sad if it's true, and it may encourage me to defect to *A carriers for SYD if it weren't for my anti-SQ sentiment. (Or maybe I should just start flying Virgin Atlantic.)
Old Mar 21, 2008, 1:20 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott lifetime Plt, UA 1MM
All of the Terraces lounges have showers at LHR (just not too many of them; I think the T1 domestic lounge has 3 showers vs. the dozens at some of the other lounges). So there may be a long waiting list for showers at T1; much better to use the T5 Arrivals lounge, if you are eligible to do so (and there is decent T5 to T1 connectivity landside, which is yet another problem!!!).
I guess a follow-up question would be if on arrival at T5 we would be herded to transfer to T1 on arrival, or can we stop in T5 to uses the airside lounges (we are in NCW and have a 6 hour layover)
Old Mar 21, 2008, 1:32 pm
Original Member

Originally Posted by JONEZY00
I guess a follow-up question would be if on arrival at T5 we would be herded to transfer to T1 on arrival, or can we stop in T5 to uses the airside lounges (we are in NCW and have a 6 hour layover)
The normal LHR rules apply -- no airside access except in your terminal of departure. This is enforced by BAA, the airport operator (to cut down on the number of people passing through security). So you cannot reach T5 airside unless you are departing from T5.

The T5 Arrivals lounge is landside, and very nice, and you can use that. But that might make the transfer to T1 harder (as well as requiring clearing UK immigration and customs). I'd use Arrivals.
Old Mar 21, 2008, 1:35 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott lifetime Plt, UA 1MM
The normal LHR rules apply -- no airside access except in your terminal of departure. This is enforced by BAA, the airport operator (to cut down on the number of people passing through security). So you cannot reach T5 airside unless you are departing from T5.

The T5 Arrivals lounge is landside, and very nice, and you can use that. But that might make the transfer to T1 harder (as well as requiring clearing UK immigration and customs). I'd use Arrivals.
Perfect thanks for the clarfication!

Last edited by JONEZY00; Mar 22, 2008 at 11:23 am
Old Mar 21, 2008, 1:52 pm

Programs: BA - Gold for Life, CCR & GGL; IC Spire Elite Ambassador; Diamond Hilton Honors; Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by AusEuroFlyer
BA does have competition to SYD (including Virgin Atlantic) and SYD flights are staying at T4, I believe, so if they will be stopping providing a First lounge, that's a bit premature. I would be a bit sad if it's true, and it may encourage me to defect to *A carriers for SYD if it weren't for my anti-SQ sentiment. (Or maybe I should just start flying Virgin Atlantic.)
Whilst I agree that it would be disappointing and unsatisfactory IF there are no facilities (including full pre flight dining for these evening flights) for First and Gold card holders, it would not make me change to VS for flights to Australia.

The car service, check in and lounge at Terminal 3 are all very good, but I found their Upper Class inflight service, food and wine did not compare well to BA J, let alone BA F. The bed is good when it is flat, but the recline options are nowhere near as good as old or NGCW. The quality of the 24 hour journey is far more important to me than the 1.5/2 hours in the lounge.

Also, there is the impressive new F lounge in SYD to enjoy - I am looking forward to trying it out for the first time soon.

Last edited by TravellerFrequently; Mar 21, 2008 at 3:08 pm Reason: add info.
Old Mar 21, 2008, 2:36 pm

Prudent connection management says always get to your departure terminal first before considering other activities, showering shopping or whatever. I'd head straight to T1 under almost all circumstances and get the transfer done with, rather than use T5 arrivals. After 2 months we will all be bored with T5 anyway, one shower is much the same as another, and quite likely after 5 opens the T1 facilities may be less busy for a while.

If going landside, the T1 international arrivals lounge by the premium check-in areas is quiet and small. Cozy even. May be worth using that rather the domestic airside lounge.
Old Mar 21, 2008, 3:07 pm

Originally Posted by TravellerFrequently
...I found their inflight service, food and wine did not compare well to BA J, let alone BA F. The bed is good when it is flat, but the recline options are nowhere near as good as old or new CW. The quality of the 24 hour journey is more important to me than the 1.5/2 hours in the lounge.

Also, there is the impressive F lounge in SYD to enjoy - I am looking forward to trying it out for the first time soon.
Ah, OK so VS isn't that good then. It's been many years since I flew VS last (and it was just in the dreaded economy when I was a student, which I found to be better than BA). I think I might have to retract my 'defection' even if there will be no more First lounge at T4. As you correctly point out, in-flight comfort is more important than the lounge - and Terraces isn't that bad anyway. It just annoys me that they may be withdrawing a facility that is 'supposed to be' provided.

QF F lounge in SYD is very nice. Every time I used it, I got excellent service (attentive, but not in-your-face) there, and the food in the table service part is pretty good too. Very different feel from the LHR T4/T1 BA F lounge - actually, QF F lounge in SYD is nicer, I've got to confess.
Old Mar 21, 2008, 3:16 pm

Originally Posted by AusEuroFlyer
QF F lounge in SYD is very nice. Every time I used it, I got excellent service (attentive, but not in-your-face) there, and the food in the table service part is pretty good too. Very different feel from the LHR T4/T1 BA F lounge - actually, QF F lounge in SYD is nicer, I've got to confess.
Great to read.

I thought the old QF F lounge (4 years ago) was pretty good, although the temporary facility (2 years ago) was not great - there was actually a man standing by the champagne bottle to pour it for you - or to prevent you from helping yourself! The food was limited and the cleanliness left quite a bit to be desired.

I have heard only praise for the new lounge so will definitely be there as early as I can - does the BA check in still open only 3 hours before departure?
Old Mar 21, 2008, 5:19 pm
Original Member

Originally Posted by convair
...If going landside, the T1 international arrivals lounge by the premium check-in areas is quiet and small. Cozy even. May be worth using that rather the domestic airside lounge.
And closed at the end of March unless I have misunderstood the lounge plan -- so it will be especially quiet then. If only BA kept any of their premium (F/Arrivals) infrastructure open in T1 and T4 after T5 opens; I guess they lack the staff or didn't want to spend the money.
Old Mar 21, 2008, 5:25 pm

Programs: BA, LH, VS, Hyatt, SPG
And closed at the end of March unless I have misunderstood the lounge plan -- so it will be especially quiet then. If only BA kept any of their premium (F/Arrivals) infrastructure open in T1 and T4 after T5 opens; I guess they lack the staff or didn't want to spend the money.
All T1 long-haul flights move to T5 on Day 1 so there is no need to keep the T1 arrivals lounge open.
Old Mar 21, 2008, 5:27 pm

Originally Posted by TravellerFrequently

I have heard only praise for the new lounge so will definitely be there as early as I can - does the BA check in still open only 3 hours before departure?
I'm not sure, because I have only connected through SYD and never checked in from there.

It's worth spending a bit of time at the lounge. The variety of food in the non-table service section is nothing spectacular (decent quality though) but the table service part (I think they call it 'restaurant' and that's fair enough) serves nice desserts as well as a decent range of main dishes.

The only trouble is that the restaurant can be a bit busy at times and you may need to wait to get a table.

By the way, I found it squeaky clean every time.
Old Mar 21, 2008, 5:33 pm

What are you talking about, the T4 Arrivals facility is staying open after the move to T5.

Also, have you ever been to the Gate 1 Lounge at T4? I wouldn't call that a shoddy facility to entertain the remaining F pax using T4. Many frequent passengers (including some entitled to use CR) preferred it. It was certainly regarded as having better facilities than the F Lounge in T4.

When BA itself will only be operating 3 flights out of the terminal (QF the other 3) it puts it on a par with the MIA services out of T3. Nobody expected BA to provide a F Lounge and an Arrivals suite for those flights.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.