Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

What's the worst turbulence you have encountered?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

What's the worst turbulence you have encountered?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 28, 2016, 2:54 pm

Programs: BA Exec. Club Bronze
Very interesting thread. I've never had anything awful though.

Landing into Quito on a LAN A320 we had very strong winds and a lot of people were sick. We learned after landing that we were the last in before they closed the airport!

Yesterday returning from Miami on the BA A388 we had strong winds most of the way across the Atlantic. CAT the Captain said. Very scary.

Many years ago landing at Miami on a BA 744 we hit air pockets and kept repeatedly dropping on our way in, but that was more fun than scary.

A-L
Old Dec 28, 2016, 2:57 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AY+ Platinum, SK Gold, BAEC Silver, airbaltic VIP, Radisson VIP
Worst I had was during the approach into FAE (Vagar on Faroe Islands)!

And second worst was last year into DUB on december 30th!
Old Dec 28, 2016, 3:20 pm

Programs: Accor PLT,Thai Silver, HH Dia, SPG Titanium (LT Gold), Aegean Gold, BA Silver
Mine was flying DEL - DAC when the BA 747s used to stop off. It was monsoon season and we were strapped in all the way.
Old Dec 28, 2016, 3:33 pm

Programs: BA GfL, GGL/CCR
just came accross this! Bumps oh bumps can be scarey for some, fun for others.

Ours was 2015 flying LAX to JFK on the smallish a321t - one of the last planes not to get diverted away from landing into Kennedy airport ! And we had to circle in it for around 45 minutes!

Now, I dont mind choppy flights, but its a right pain when it gets a bit too choppy, when the crew cant really serve you as they are strapped in for most of the flight... It pretty much started 30 mins taking off from LAX.

Luckily the weather was expected and the crew made sure we were well stocked up!

But it was pretty bad, I must say. Now having experienced that, regular turbelence is a breeze.

EDIT - no wonder hadnt seen this thread before its from 2008!!! I was young back then........... boohoo
Old Dec 28, 2016, 5:46 pm

Originally Posted by florens
The Faroe Islands football team consider that part of their home-pitch advantage when hosting visiting teams.

I still remember getting bounced around for a couple of hours on a PA 747SP on a SYD to LAX run in 1984, when we caught some kink in the jet stream at 41,000 feet. Even the cabin crew were shaken, and they'd been around.

The other was on a C-130 from Kodiak to St. Paul (in the middle of the Bering Sea), but that was asking for it - hitching a ride on a fisheries patrol that flew about 500 feet up in the middle of a very nasty storm. Popping Dramamine like they were breath mints.
Old Dec 28, 2016, 6:09 pm

Location: Almost exactly equally distant from LCY, LGW and LHR.
Programs: BA Gold, IHG Spire Ambassador, Hilton Diamond
We were doing an LHR -> DUB positioning flight last year on the same day and likely went through the same rough stuff. That is the worst flight I've ever been on for turbulence. There was a lot of nervousness in the cabin, which got worse as the flight continued. About 15mins out we had a fairly big bump that made you feel like your stomach was dropping and a woman a few seats behind us that had been getting more and more wound up all flight started screaming over and over again "WE ARE ALL GOING TO DIE, WE ARE ALL GOING TO DIE !". This then kicked off a few other people.

Several people tried to calm her down (without getting up) but nobody really had any success. All I could think of was that scene from Airplane!.

We made it into Dublin and nobody died, but a couple of people did have drink related incidents.
Old Dec 29, 2016, 12:32 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by Pumplekin
We were doing an LHR -> DUB positioning flight last year on the same day and likely went through the same rough stuff. That is the worst flight I've ever been on for turbulence. There was a lot of nervousness in the cabin, which got worse as the flight continued. About 15mins out we had a fairly big bump that made you feel like your stomach was dropping and a woman a few seats behind us that had been getting more and more wound up all flight started screaming over and over again "WE ARE ALL GOING TO DIE, WE ARE ALL GOING TO DIE !". This then kicked off a few other people.

Several people tried to calm her down (without getting up) but nobody really had any success. All I could think of was that scene from Airplane!.

We made it into Dublin and nobody died, but a couple of people did have drink related incidents.
Holy sh**!

That wasn't on my flight then. We came in from LCY on BA (CJ) 4470
Old Dec 29, 2016, 12:59 am
amt

Programs: BA GGL & CCR
Two aborted landings into DUB, successful on the third attempt. The plane was still rocking back and forth in the wind and knocking passengers off balance as we were disembarking.

Also the only time Irish propensity to clap on landing was actually justified...
Old Dec 29, 2016, 2:22 am

Programs: I go wherever the content takes me.

I flew into DUB last year on the 29th...Storm Frank. We had to use the crosswind runway. It was certainly sporty!
Old Dec 29, 2016, 2:23 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by paul4040
I flew into DUB last year on the 29th...Storm Frank. We had to use the crosswind runway. It was certainly sporty!
You're right, it was 29th and not 30th according to my flightstats.
Old Dec 29, 2016, 2:50 am
Suspended

Last edited by simonrp84; Jul 1, 2017 at 6:59 am
Old Dec 29, 2016, 3:08 am

My worst turbulence was on a GA 40 minutes domestic flight PLM-CGK back in 1988. The 717 (or DC9 ?) flew through a thunderstorm and the plane dropped tens of meters at once. I heard screaming on board but the turbulence lasted not more than a few seconds.

In 2014, flight KL597 AMS-CPT (a 777) was very bumpy straight after takeoff from Schiphol due to windy weather. Winds were decreasing, I expected a delay of hours, but we left on time. Many flights were canceled or delayed.
Old Dec 29, 2016, 3:14 am

Mine was.............a Channel crossing on a catamaran ferry

Only a handful of people weren't violently vomiting the whole time. It was genuinely like some apocalyptic scene from a film. We made it to Cherbourg in one piece.
Old Dec 29, 2016, 3:21 am

Programs: BAEC GfL
The worst for me was in July 2013 from LHR to ALC, when we had severe turbulence all the way over France for approx. 1 hour. Flew through very thick cloud and its the only time I have heard the Captain say "cabin crew take your seats immediately".

Just as well they did as we bounced around a lot with lots of people screaming. Mrs Royalscot just clung on to me with a grip I have yet to experience again and she flies quite a bit.
Old Dec 29, 2016, 3:24 am

Programs: Iron Maiden FC, GE, Rapidly falling down the Tiers to oblivion.
Lhr - dub for me usual a319 positioning flight in the storms last year (maybe early nov 2015, maybe 2014, memory fading). Held for about 40 mins circling seemingly most of ireland as airport was shut, blown around all over the shop in the hold, window appeared and they got us in. Aircraft was blown clear off the runway right before the flare but somehow the captain righted and properly slammed us down. The FO even commented it was the best bit of flying he had ever seen. Cue the clapping.... also shut the guy up behind me that said JAYSUS a thousand times in the hold and on approach. I had also decided to sit at the back for once to see if quieter (i did have the only spare row for some reason, no other free seats at all). Never again. Front of wings in future.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.