Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Pilots strike talks break down. [2008 thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Pilots strike talks break down. [2008 thread]

Search this Thread

Old Mar 11, 2008, 6:40 am

Programs: BAEC Bronze :(
No Strike Over Easter

The BALPA website is currently reporting that the union will not be calling a strike over Easter.

No real details on whether they're postponing the strike in general, or even what they're defining as "Easter" in this context. The weekend? The week afterwards? Many people plan breaks in the week after the actual Easter weekend, are those plans safe?

From what I understand they must still declare some dates within the next week or so, or they'll have to re-ballot.
Old Mar 11, 2008, 6:52 am

Programs: Mucci (Chevalier de Sagesse), Betty Ford Alumnus, BA Gold, ScaryTeam Elite+
BALPA announcement has this as a footnote:

BA is asserting it has a fundamental right under Article 43 of the EC Treaty (“Article 43 EC”) to establish operations in another EU Member State. This right includes both establishing new airline services in other EU Member States, as well as acquiring existing operations from third parties. BALPA is seeking a Declaration from the Court as to whether Article 43 does apply and whether it may rely on the strike ballot to avoid a claim for unlimited damages.
If they are looking for such comfort before calling action (which is probably prudent based on the risk of a damage claim), this could take some time.

Is there a lawyer in the house?
Old Mar 11, 2008, 6:55 am

Originally Posted by majoreyeswater
Is there a lawyer in the house?
Yes.

It won't take long. It will be heard by the Court on a fairly urgent basis, I should imagine.
Old Mar 11, 2008, 7:31 am

Programs: UA MP Premier, SPG Gold, BA Silver wanabee
I guess the delay will allow BALPA to focus on another potential strike date: 27 March 2008.
Old Mar 11, 2008, 7:34 am

Programs: Cunard WorldClub-Gold,Silverseas Venetian society,Alitalia Mille miglia,SPG,Fairmont,IHG.
Originally Posted by _Sin
The BALPA website is currently reporting that the union will not be calling a strike over Easter.

No real details on whether they're postponing the strike in general, or even what they're defining as "Easter" in this context. The weekend? The week afterwards? Many people plan breaks in the week after the actual Easter weekend, are those plans safe?

From what I understand they must still declare some dates within the next week or so, or they'll have to re-ballot.
BALPA have been to court and got a "Stop the clock" against the strike countdown-sorry don't know the proper legal terms but in effect it means the countdown of days they have to announce strike has been halted.Hope that makes sense..just to be clear, they are not saying there will be no strike, just not "over Easter"....
Old Mar 11, 2008, 7:37 am

Can we read into this latest development that the union's lawyers have advised them BA might have a case, I wonder?
Old Mar 11, 2008, 8:06 am

Originally Posted by no longer atc
BALPA have been to court and got a "Stop the clock" against the strike countdown-sorry don't know the proper legal terms but in effect it means the countdown of days they have to announce strike has been halted.Hope that makes sense..just to be clear, they are not saying there will be no strike, just not "over Easter"....
It would be clearer if BALPA would let us know what they mean by "Easter". If they want to rule out some dates for a strike, it would be better for them to be more specific.

They make direct reference to us members of the public having an Easter break - and for different people that could mean anything from mid-March until late-April.

Are they really saying that they won't strike before then?

I think they need to be clear, because if they just mean "No strikes over Easter weekend" rather than "Easter holiday period" and they call a strike in (for example) early April, I can see a lot of very angry people who feel they've been misled. Which wouldn't help the pilot's campaign at all.

On the other hand, if these dates are safe, they should say so and show themselves in a more positive and understanding light.
Old Mar 11, 2008, 8:14 am

Programs: Latinpass Million Miler. BA Gold.
Absolutely _Sin. Easter school hols here in Surrey are 7-19 April, and we are taking one of those once-in-a-lifetime trips to Central and South America, linked in with some major once-off family events. I would be devastated if we had these disrupted by a BA strike, and seriously out of pocket too with all the other arrangements already made.
Old Mar 11, 2008, 8:27 am

Programs: BA Gold, LH Sen, MUCCI, Junior Jet Club.
If BA could claim "unlimited damages" who would they claim them from?
Old Mar 11, 2008, 8:28 am

Originally Posted by aristoph
Can we read into this latest development that the union's lawyers have advised them BA might have a case, I wonder?
I wouldn't. It's just a prudent course for the union, given the potential for an unlimited damages claim if they get it wrong.
Old Mar 11, 2008, 8:31 am

Programs: BA Silver, HH Silver.
Originally Posted by aristoph
My thoughts also,would love to see the union bankrupted.
Old Mar 11, 2008, 8:53 am

It seems - according to press readings - that BALPA and BA pilots might find themselves in a corner! It may well be that they will be forced to accept the new terms for the new Openskies crews. Interesting.
Old Mar 11, 2008, 8:53 am

Originally Posted by BlackBerryAddict
Absolutely _Sin. Easter school hols here in Surrey are 7-19 April, and we are taking one of those once-in-a-lifetime trips to Central and South America, linked in with some major once-off family events. I would be devastated if we had these disrupted by a BA strike, and seriously out of pocket too with all the other arrangements already made.
I'm in the same boat and would dearly love some clarification as to when the "Easter Period" is.

Most schools in my area have their holidays 7-19 April as well. We personally have a trip booked during that period that has taken considerable time, planning and expense to put together. A strike during this period would affect many many families and would not show BA Pilots, or its Union, in a good light.

It would be very useful if BALPA could put some firm dates out rather than keeping everyone on tenderhooks!!!
Old Mar 11, 2008, 1:06 pm

I fear Balpa are defining Easter as 21st to 24th March.
My understanding is that once the High Court rules on the legal issue, the strike clock will start 'ticking' again.
As it stood Balpa had to call a strike by March 20th, and also had to give 7 days notice to BA, ie the strike must have been announced by March 13th.
So they only had 2 days left to call a strike.
I'm unsure what agreement they have reached with the High Court, but if the situation is as presented (ie the strike clock is 'frozen', not reset), once a ruling is made (assuming the ruling is that Balpa are free to strike), there will only be 2 days to call a strike.
This is why I am quite surprised at the 'Easter' announcement...if a ruling was made in the next few days, Balpa would have to call a strike over Easter, or go back and hold another ballot of members.
Perhaps we're not being told everything.
Mrs Bloggs and I are celebrating our 10th Wedding Anniversary by flying to New York on 26th March and I'm afraid the uncertainty is spoiling all the anticipation for me (though not for Mrs B, who thinks I'm stupid, but will nevertheless blame me if she's sat in the airport all day not swilling pina collada's in Manhattan)
Old Mar 11, 2008, 1:30 pm

Originally Posted by BigBobBloggs
I fear Balpa are defining Easter as 21st to 24th March.
My understanding is that once the High Court rules on the legal issue, the strike clock will start 'ticking' again.
As it stood Balpa had to call a strike by March 20th, and also had to give 7 days notice to BA, ie the strike must have been announced by March 13th.
So they only had 2 days left to call a strike.
I'm unsure what agreement they have reached with the High Court, but if the situation is as presented (ie the strike clock is 'frozen', not reset), once a ruling is made (assuming the ruling is that Balpa are free to strike), there will only be 2 days to call a strike.
This is why I am quite surprised at the 'Easter' announcement...if a ruling was made in the next few days, Balpa would have to call a strike over Easter, or go back and hold another ballot of members.
Perhaps we're not being told everything.
Mrs Bloggs and I are celebrating our 10th Wedding Anniversary by flying to New York on 26th March and I'm afraid the uncertainty is spoiling all the anticipation for me (though not for Mrs B, who thinks I'm stupid, but will nevertheless blame me if she's sat in the airport all day not swilling pina collada's in Manhattan)
I'm not sure I'm following your logic - I thought they only had to announce the strike dates within their 28-days, they're not obliged to actually strike within that time. So they could wait until the 20th before announcing a strike for the 27th.

Plus while I certainly think they *might* only mean the 21st to the 24th, that certainly goes against the intent of their statement about not affecting people's Easter holidays.

I really do think BALPA have some communication issues, they seem completely unable to make any kind of statement with clarity. They can hardly be surprised if they can't make any progress or garner any support.

I'm in more or less the same situation btw - I have a holiday booked for early April (which I certainly consider to be an Easter holiday!) and I'm pretty worried about it. My other half isn't panicking yet, but she'll be devastated if anything goes wrong.

BALPA making unclear statements isn't helping.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.