Community
Wiki Posts
Search

OTish: Visa Waiver Programme Question

Search this Thread

Old Feb 17, 2008, 9:13 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
Hmm... FWIW, you might explore this further actually. I would think that you should travel under the appropriate category for the purposes of your trip, i.e., ask for the green form. Last thing you want is for them to say, why are you coming to the US, and you have to lie and say "for an internship" as that's what it says on your visa. Conversely if you say you're coming as a tourist or for business, they might challenge and say that's not what your visa is for.

Of course YMMV. My experience with HSD is that they're a bit like the trains in the UK--in the marginal or non-standard cases, no one official applies the rules in quite the same way, yet everyone will nod and assure you that the way they're doing it *should* be the official line. Best to show that you're trying to do the right thing and be as open and honest as possible, I would think.
Old Feb 17, 2008, 3:50 pm

Programs: BA - Blue
I agree with ExpatBear. If the visa was issued for a specific purpose, DHS will often ask for supporting evidence for this for every entry in the US. Having said that, B1/B2 visas often don't require supporting documentation (at least, the only one I had 15 years ago didn't).

Visa-waivers usually go fairly smoothly, although I have spent some time being 'interrogated' on occasion! To be absolutely certain, you could call the US embassy to find out -- but they usually only give visa advice on the premium rate (>1UKP/min!!!) phone line.

tb
Old Feb 17, 2008, 4:10 pm

Definitely use the white form if you have a valid B1/B2 visa. The green form is the I-94W Visa Waiver form to be used by people without a valid B1/B2 visa. By using your visa and white I-94 you will enjoy some benefits including (usually) permission to stay up to 6 months, ability to change status or extend your stay while in the US, right to a hearing with immigration judge, etc.

But, are you sure it's a B1/B2 visa you have? (Paid) internships usually require a different type of visa like J-1 or F-1?
Old Feb 17, 2008, 4:40 pm

Programs: BA Gold; VA Velocity Gold; LH FTL; Marriott Gold; ICHG Platinum AMB; Hilton Gold
I used to have an I class (intra-company transfer) visa in my passport that was valid for 3 years after the date my transfer actually ended. I usually entered the US thereafter using the white I-94 card but about 50% of the time the official would tell me off (but still let me in on the I class visa) for entering for a purpose other than that my visa was issued for. In the end I filled in both the white and green forms and simply let them choose which worked best - when given the choice they nearly always went for the green form (on the basis that it was the more restrictive - 3 month limit on the stay rather than letting me in for up to 3 years).

If it is a B1/B2 visa then I would carry on using that. For a J class or other visa I would go back to using the I-94W.
Old Feb 17, 2008, 6:14 pm

Programs: BA Bronze, BA AMEX
In my experience the Canadian border officials are much more picky recently than US. I currently am on assignment in New York and was visiting a friend in Winnipeg. We drove across the border to North Dakota (!) for the day and the guy coming into the US didn't bat an eyelid (I always leave my I-94 stub in).

Coming back the Candian border staff made us pull over and go inside where I had to explain to a surly Candian border card what I was doing.

But there was no real problem going either way.

As an aside, always try and keep your stub stapled in if you have an I-94 (white one) with your visa. I used to fill a new one in every time I entered the US until on one occasion the guy told me not to bother with my new copy. Now I get to save myself the hassle of filling it in again.
Old Feb 18, 2008, 3:17 am

Programs: FB Silver, M&M
Thanks everyone for the input.

I do have a B1/B2 since it was for an unpaid internship at a non profit, and unfortunately the only phone number one can call at the US embassy in Germany with visa related questions redirects to a call center with agents who don't know anything besides assigning appotments for a visa application interview (at 2 Euros per minute).

So I guess I'll just fill in both forms as was suggested and have a chat with the officer at EWR.
Old Feb 18, 2008, 11:08 am

Location: SCL, MCT, LGW and a variety of 1W lounges in between.
Programs: BA Mucci (Seigneur et Ingenieur des Appareils Volants (Gold)), QF (WP and LTG), AA EXP, GF Gold
Another different question...

Hi,
If I could extend the question to my case, I need two visas for the US for different purposes. I need a business one and a pilot one. Can I apply for both at the same time, or do I need two separate applications? Just trying to stop funding the US embassy with their expensive helpline!

Ta, spottie
Old Aug 7, 2008, 5:30 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by roundtheworld View Post
The I94-W ... has to be submitted to the DHS at departure from the US.

Originally Posted by Roger
Except when you leave via Canada, in which case it has to be surrendered to the Canadian official.

anyone know why roger wrote the above? i figure if you exit USA to Canada and then on towards your home country? is that right?

thanks!
Old Aug 7, 2008, 5:44 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: some
Originally Posted by dnotes
Quote:

anyone know why roger wrote the above? i figure if you exit USA to Canada and then on towards your home country? is that right?

thanks!
Yes..
Old Aug 7, 2008, 7:20 pm

Programs: Hilton Gold Mariott Gold Aeroplan E25K SAS Gold NEXUS
Quote:

thanks!
Roger's right - you have to submit the I94-W to the Canadian official unless you want a lot of hassle the next time you try to enter the US. There's no proper stop at the US side of the border on the way out, only on the way in

One thing to note is to ask the Canadian official to remove the Visa if you drive back through Canada. They frequently don't ask and then you've got to get rid of it some other way (tricky).
Old Aug 8, 2008, 3:19 am

Programs: AS MVP Gold, Marriott Plat, ICH Plat, HH Gold
i figure if you exit USA to Canada and then on towards your home country? is that right?
Yes, that is correct. Last time I left the US on a ferry to Victoria (BC), and was kind-of surprised that there was no exit passport check on the US side. However the Canadian border control took the I94W upon entry (after asking if I would be returning to the US on this trip).
Old Aug 8, 2008, 6:45 am

ok here's my dilemma, flew to US > drove back to Canada and was expecting to fly out via US for a trip before I-94 expired but routing changed and we're flying direct now, so now i'm stuck with the option of

1. mailing it in to London, KY with my car rental return invoice
2. driving down to the nearest land border crossing & drive across to US & return it when i come back across cdn immigration.

what would u do?
Old Aug 16, 2008, 8:43 pm

Programs: Hilton Gold Mariott Gold Aeroplan E25K SAS Gold NEXUS
ok here's my dilemma, flew to US > drove back to Canada and was expecting to fly out via US for a trip before I-94 expired but routing changed and we're flying direct now, so now i'm stuck with the option of

1. mailing it in to London, KY with my car rental return invoice
2. driving down to the nearest land border crossing & drive across to US & return it when i come back across cdn immigration.

what would u do?
I'd phone and ask the US consulate in your passport issuing country what to do. IIRC (and I may not) you may be able to take it to a nearby airport.
Old Aug 17, 2008, 5:33 am

Programs: BA Executive Club
Frequency of entry?

Just to add another spin to this question: how many times are you allowed to enter the US on the VWP per year? Is there a limit? Has anyone ever had any trouble?

Cheers,
neoRAGE
Old Aug 17, 2008, 5:44 am

Programs: AS MVP Gold, Marriott Plat, ICH Plat, HH Gold
If this is still relevant - I'd expect Canadian border control at the airport you are flying out from will be happy to take the I-94W and send it back to the US. Just like what they did for me upon arrival in Victoria.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.