Wiki Posts
Search

Best Seats in First

Search this Thread

Old Jan 26, 2008, 8:26 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Best Seats in First

I've read the FAQ and SeatGuru/SeatExpert guides but wonder if anyone could give me some advice on the following:

My wife and I are flying LHR to PHX in June and will be flying in First for the first time. The question is, should we book 4E/F to "share the experience" or window seats (as my wife prefers!!). Are the window seats completely behind each other?

It's a daytime flight but is there much to see? Can we see the Grand Canyon as we're approaching?

Thanks for any opinions,
Roy.
Old Jan 26, 2008, 8:42 am

Programs: BA Gold (and many other greater and lesser distinctions)
Originally Posted by royblythe
My wife and I are flying LHR to PHX in June and will be flying in First for the first time. The question is, should we book 4E/F to "share the experience" or window seats (as my wife prefers!!). Are the window seats completely behind each other?
This is entirely a matter of personal opinion !!

The seats are directly behind each other but angled towards the window and with a a relatively high "shell" surrounding them. Seats behind each other have no effective means of contact with one another. That's a good or bad thing depending on your preferences ....
Old Jan 26, 2008, 8:45 am

Programs: BA Gold
1A/K are great for couples - close enough to chat but you still have benefit of the windows... Otherwise go for neighbouring window seats and have lunch together on the buddy seat...

PS - Welcome to FT!
Old Jan 26, 2008, 8:51 am

Programs: Mucci, BA silver
The window seats are completely behind each other. You wife would be mostly invisible and barely audible. The only seats that allow kind of an interaction are 1AK, only available to Golds/Emeralds, though. Conversations are still difficult on these seats. We'll be traveling on 4EF. But then, those are the seats that my wife selected. So I'm safe.
Old Jan 26, 2008, 9:06 am

Programs: No more shiny cards -- former LH SEN, SPG Platinum, Flying Blue Platinum, BA Silver
We found 2A and 2K to be nice selection for travelling couple
Old Jan 26, 2008, 9:33 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges and Environmentally Friendly Travel

To echo the comments above, seats 1A and 1K are great for couples whilst they may not be quite as suitable as 4E/F or 5E/F if polite and discrete conversation is what you wish for; they do at least present an opportunity for limited interaction. 2A/K much less so, else you run the risk of narking off those passengers seated behind.

The downside of the 4E/F combo, I find is being located in the centre of the room - a little too exposed for my liking. The window seats offer much greater privacy in this regard.

As for views, I have only flown into PHX on one occasion, seated upper deck aisle. The inflight map most courteously provided me with an update on what the window dwellers enjoyed as we passed over the very eastern edge of the Grand Canyon.
Old Jan 26, 2008, 9:51 am

Programs: Cunard WorldClub-Gold,Silverseas Venetian society,Alitalia Mille miglia,SPG,Fairmont,IHG.
Hi Roy...up to you , I happen to like 4e/f but no window view. We got a fab view of the Grand Canyon on the way in, but my husband was flying the plane and took that track so we could see it!!
Old Jan 26, 2008, 9:52 am

Programs: BA Silver / Bonyoy Platinum
For a daytime flight to the West Coast I would certainly try to get at least 1 seat at the Window in F.

When dinner is served you will be routing up over Iceland and if it is a clear day the views are wonderful.

2/K are excellent seats as you can see each other if you want to wave at each other etc, it isn't quite as cramped feeling as 1A/K may feel and if there is a view out either side of the aircraft you can go to either seats window to enjoy the view.
Old Jan 26, 2008, 10:18 am

I agree with those who suggest 2A/K -these are the seats we have chosen for our trip into PHX in July. We sat in them en route to SFO last Easter and although we couldn't have a full conversation we could see each other and have the odd word when we knew that no-one around us was sleeping. Definately didn't like the look of 4 or 5E/F and if 1A/K are available at OLCI I will certainly nab them.
Old Jan 26, 2008, 10:51 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

If you are still at that touchy-feely stage of your relationship go for 4E/F if not definately window seats.^
Old Jan 26, 2008, 11:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I've always found the cabin noise levels a bit high for much casual conversation. 1 or 2 A/K are my preference. Can see ms. birdstrike so it feels like we are traveling as a couple, and we both get a window seat.

Love that quasi-forward view you get out of the windows up there.
Old Jan 26, 2008, 1:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: BA, VS, HH, IHG, MB, MR
We always take 2A / 3A - you can't see each other but its easy to stick your head over / around the seat. There is no really bad pair - 4E/F are better than 5E/F because of less galley noise. I also REALLY dislike 1A/K on a 747 (less so on a 777) because you are rammed into the nose and the wardrobe gets in the way. Just my opinion, though!
Old Jan 26, 2008, 2:31 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver
We just did LHR - LAX in first and would def say that for couples best seats in our experience would either be 1AK first choice (easy to talk unlike 2AK) or 4 EF 2nd choice. We were lucky to have an empty cabin and try every seat that seemed suitble for us Might do a trip report if have the time I guess if you happy to be apart from each other or the window bit is a huge bonus for you then you might consider 2AK or maybe even go for 4 EF and if you feel the need to see the views you could always go use the loo Hope this is helpful not much more then posts above..
Old Jan 26, 2008, 5:07 pm

Programs: BA - Gold for Life, CCR & GGL; IC Spire Elite Ambassador; Diamond Hilton Honors; Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by royblythe
I've read the FAQ and SeatGuru/SeatExpert guides but wonder if anyone could give me some advice on the following:

It's a daytime flight but is there much to see? Can we see the Grand Canyon as we're approaching?

Thanks for any opinions,
Roy.
Like all things in life, personal preference is key.

We (nearly) alway sit in 5EF, for the closeness. We sat in IAK once, and found the seats tight and claustrophobic. 4EF is too "exposed" as mentioned by Prospero. Everyone can walk around you and I would not sit here.
Galley noise is not an issue for 5EF IMHO (see Seat Expert), although perhaps the champagne and wine help!

If you are happy not to be able to talk easily for most of the flight (apart from eating together using the buddy seat) row 2 is great (I sit there when travelling on my own).

Where ever you sit, have a great trip and welcome to FT!
Old Jan 27, 2008, 5:33 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Thumbs up

Thanks everyone for all the replies - they've helped us to finally come to a decision.

We've now changed our seats to 2AK. This allows us to be "close enough" (married 12 years) but still have the window seat she wants.

Thanks to everyone on this forum, especially the moderators for such a great site.

BTW, what's with the automatic toilet window that goes opaque? Is this in case of other aircraft nearby?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.