Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

[17 Jan 2008] BA38 lands short of the runway

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

[17 Jan 2008] BA38 lands short of the runway

Search this Thread

Old Jan 19, 2008, 10:08 am

Programs: BA LTG, Defender of the turnip.
Originally Posted by blawson

Have any of the cabin staff on the board noticed anyone paying a little more attention in the last few days (I know Tits posted to say nope a few days back).
It was interresting how strongly the 20 minutes to landing announcement emphasised identifying your closest exit when coming in on BA6 yesterday afternoon.

Of course we then had an an aborted landing attempt due to other trafiic being slow to clear, but hey, thats all part of the fun

Baps.
Old Jan 19, 2008, 10:11 am

Programs: Mucci, BA-GGL, LH-Sen
Originally Posted by LHR Tim
Out of curiosity, in a situation like this who would have called for the evacuation (yeah I know it's sort of a no-brainer) but I would think that the pilots would have been up to their eyeballs.

So is it the CSD or can crew use judgement.

Oh and it does look like the trials all those years ago payed off:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=4TAkAcQOnQY

But boy, I don't know if I want to be involved in an evac of an A380:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=weOcrP7u7Y8

I would guess that would have a high potential of sprains a broken bones!

These videos are scary! They raise my respect and admiration for the crew even further.
Old Jan 19, 2008, 11:24 am

Programs: BA something, Luftwaffe SEN, CX Gold, Pilsbury Doughboy Fanclub, and lots of Amex cards
Originally Posted by Cyba
These videos are scary! They raise my respect and admiration for the crew even further.

the second one also adds yet another reason why I will avoid flying on the whale if I can possibly help it...
Old Jan 19, 2008, 11:48 am

It's been said earlier, but I'll say it too. When it comes to landings, it doesn't half seem like a good idea to have passport, wallet, mobile, keys (and a packet of soothing cigarettes for that matter) on you just in case it gets bumpy....

With a couple of days perspective I can't help but think that we are so, so lucky not to have been counting the dead, whatever the cause of this incident.
Old Jan 19, 2008, 12:02 pm
Fontaine d'honneur du Flyertalk

Programs: Reine des Muccis de Pucci; Foreign Elitist (according to others)
Originally Posted by Jenbel
Just as a point of information, I actually introduced spottie to FT, not the other way around (check the join dates ) but thanks for the kind words
I'm back! After a 40 min kip - my mate who introduce me to FlyerTalk and I are having a qujick post so that I can tell you something about the flight and also back up my friend's words about Jen the Mod.

One of us has had the pleasure of meeting her (and Sheep of course) and one has not - yet. All I will say is the day the Jenbel leaves so indeed will I consider doing as a very big light will have gone out on this Board. If she introduced Spottie to us (and I have to confess that I had muddled this up - probably "someone" told me) then all thanks and praise for that.

He will be very busy - but every so often he writes to me - and shares secrets of his heart and I treasure these immensly. I treasure all the things that are written to me - with one enormous exception. And he never got his bicycle back - still after this burst of publicity he will never be riding bicycles again. My friends spoke so highly of him as well.

So now that the Oscar acceptance speeches on behalf of both of them are concluded let me share something with you. Today at least five different passengers came to tell me that they were so proud to be British and to know that British Airways was only what it was because of people such as them - and us. Wasn't that lovely? My lot watched the video as far as the crew could tell - I have to say that I did offer to give a prize to anyone who got the name on the badge of the cabin staff who picks up the kiddie's bunny. No one got it. So we had a few runners-up. I tell them that it is very clear at two points on the video - and perhaps a fdew more people watch then would do otherwise!!

Take care - I have Bombay, Sapphire, and Slim downstairs waiting for us. HIDDY - your sugar daughter is on the gin again!!!
Old Jan 19, 2008, 12:22 pm
Suspended

Programs: Proud owner of 3 Mucci's (yes, 3!) the latest being Chevaliere des Bains Chauds, BA Silver (6 yrs)
Good to hear from you PUCCI and glad you're back in the arms of HI with a Bombay in your hands!!

At LGW too I've had a lot of passengers comment to me about the incident - many of those have said if this were ever to happen to them, it's BA they'd have most confidence in because of our safety record, etc. And of course we've had lots of people telling us how wonderful the crew were - be it those on the flight deck or in the cabin.

As for the Captain - well half of the female staff are ready to change jobs if it means they can fly with such a hunk!!
Old Jan 19, 2008, 12:29 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by PUCCI GALORE
Take care - I have Bombay, Sapphire, and Slim downstairs waiting for us. HIDDY - your sugar daughter is on the gin again!!!
Gin and PUCCI = Dynamite, beware.
Old Jan 19, 2008, 12:40 pm

Location: SCL, MCT, LGW and a variety of 1W lounges in between.
Programs: BA Mucci (Seigneur et Ingenieur des Appareils Volants (Gold)), QF (WP and LTG), AA EXP, GF Gold
Originally Posted by Quokka
10 years of service?? First accident of any kind??? Uh, please note that you don't know what you're talking about.

A quick search of the NTSB database shows it's far from "the first accident of any kind with a 777":

Accident occurred Friday, March 11, 2005 in Buenos Aires, Argentina
Aircraft: Boeing B777, registration: N790AN

Accident occurred Wednesday, March 02, 2005 in Newark, NJ
Aircraft: Boeing 777-200, registration: N78008

Accident occurred Wednesday, September 05, 2001 in Denver, CO
Aircraft: Boeing 777-236, registration: G-VIIK

[and on and on]

The accident reports include such items an engine fire on take off, a tail strike on take off, a fire in the cockpit, numerous ground collisions with other aircraft or airport equpment and even a fatality. The fatality occured during refueling a BA 777 at DEN.
I suggest that you look at the ICAO definition of an accident. In addition, you will also note that the fatality must occur to an occupant of the aircraft, not a worker on the ground. Numerous ground collisions do occur but these are classified as incidents, specifically not accidents, provided that nobody is killed or the damage is not substantial. Ground collisions are not usually aircraft type related. Catering truck drivers to not only bang into Boeing 777s but also every other type of jet and prop airliner out there. Usual cost around six hundred million dollars a year for this type of bump.

Oh, and today I bought a new shirt and tie but nobody noticed!

JenBel did introduce me to FT Pucci, you were right there, once again. I seem to remember that the name badge was Lisa on the cabin crew member in the video. Mind you, I prefer one of the ladies featured in the upgrade advert on the short haul fleet! I don't get to see the BA flight briefing much because LGW 737s are still on manual briefings. However, Monday will be different as the third sector of the day will see me on a LHR aircraft.

Last edited by spotwelder; Jan 19, 2008 at 1:02 pm
Old Jan 19, 2008, 12:46 pm

Programs: BA Exec, BMI DC
Chaps & Chappesses

I love the BA forum for all it's charm, wit, knowledge etc.

As I mentioned before

Don't feed the trolls!

You'll note that they jump on here and spout non-sense, sit back and watch the responses.

Keep up the good work and Spotty I noticed the new tie!!

Benjurs
Old Jan 19, 2008, 12:50 pm

Originally Posted by spotwelder
You mean the purple diagonal stripey tie? I noticed it!
Old Jan 19, 2008, 12:58 pm

Originally Posted by knifeandfork
It's been said earlier, but I'll say it too. When it comes to landings, it doesn't half seem like a good idea to have passport, wallet, mobile, keys (and a packet of soothing cigarettes for that matter) on you just in case it gets bumpy....
Emergency evacuations probably occur less frequently than 1 in 100000 flights, according to my rough estimates from googled statistics. So moral of the story, once you start getting close to 50000 flights, be prepared because you are due.

Additionally, while evacuations may often be preceded by a bumpy descent, the latter does in no way indicate the former. And lastly, the chances of not being able to take a few seconds to grab the mentioned necessities seems negligible on its own, regardless of the fact that the evacuation in itself is a highly improbable occurrence.

Sure, prepare for the worst, read the safety card, practice unbuckling the belt, drink milk so your bones will not break when jumping off, say your prayers, knock on wood while spitting over your left shoulder etc. if it makes you feel better. There is really no other reason for it. And that's why you might see me on your next flight, flying is amazingly safe.
Old Jan 19, 2008, 1:04 pm
Suspended

Programs: Proud owner of 3 Mucci's (yes, 3!) the latest being Chevaliere des Bains Chauds, BA Silver (6 yrs)
Originally Posted by spotwelder
I've just seen the new purple stripey tie - very nice. Primark's profits must be soaring

I'm surprised you're still able to walk around Crawley without being mobbed
Old Jan 19, 2008, 1:09 pm

Originally Posted by feitefrank
Emergency evacuations probably occur less frequently than 1 in 100000 flights, according to my rough estimates from googled statistics. So moral of the story, once you start getting close to 50000 flights, be prepared because you are due.
What faith in statistics. Better hope it doesn't happen on your 3rd of the 100,000 flights, which is just as likely as on any of the other 99,999 flights.

And lastly, the chances of not being able to take a few seconds to grab the mentioned necessities seems negligible on its own, regardless of the fact that the evacuation in itself is a highly improbable occurrence.
Are you for real? If you try to delay and grab your stuff after the evac alarm goes off I will demolish you on my way through you to the nearest exit and you'll be trampled under the people behind me! You might like to read about the evacuation of the British Airtours 737 at Manchester airport to see how people really behave in emergency evacuations. It ain't pretty, and nobodys going to say 'excuse me'.
Old Jan 19, 2008, 1:45 pm
MBX

I'm not a frequent poster on this site but I do read a lot of the threads/posts and I am a frequent flyer. While some of the comments have been disappointing, one thing that I feel and know for certain is that if I were told in advance of taking a flight that such an incident was going to happen there is no hesitation whose hands I'd choose to be in...
Old Jan 19, 2008, 1:53 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM, AA EXP
Originally Posted by Panic Stations
SNIP If you try to delay and grab your stuff after the evac alarm goes off I will demolish you on my way through SNIP.
Panic (and others), please can you elaborate on what the pax hear in the case of an evac. Is it a pre-recorded message, a horn or other similar noise, something else?

Also, does this vary by plane or by Airline (or both).

Many thanks

Lurker

BTW _ someone asked earlier how long the evac took. FWIW, the Times or Guardian article (sorry can;t remember which) said 90s (of course it was a light load).

Last edited by Lurker; Jan 19, 2008 at 1:54 pm Reason: Edetid for dredfal spilling

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.