FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - [17 Jan 2008] BA38 lands short of the runway
Old Jan 19, 2008, 12:58 pm
feitefrank

Originally Posted by knifeandfork
It's been said earlier, but I'll say it too. When it comes to landings, it doesn't half seem like a good idea to have passport, wallet, mobile, keys (and a packet of soothing cigarettes for that matter) on you just in case it gets bumpy....
Emergency evacuations probably occur less frequently than 1 in 100000 flights, according to my rough estimates from googled statistics. So moral of the story, once you start getting close to 50000 flights, be prepared because you are due.

Additionally, while evacuations may often be preceded by a bumpy descent, the latter does in no way indicate the former. And lastly, the chances of not being able to take a few seconds to grab the mentioned necessities seems negligible on its own, regardless of the fact that the evacuation in itself is a highly improbable occurrence.

Sure, prepare for the worst, read the safety card, practice unbuckling the belt, drink milk so your bones will not break when jumping off, say your prayers, knock on wood while spitting over your left shoulder etc. if it makes you feel better. There is really no other reason for it. And that's why you might see me on your next flight, flying is amazingly safe.