Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Two pieces of hand baggage to be allowed at LHR, but not LGW

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Two pieces of hand baggage to be allowed at LHR, but not LGW

Search this Thread

Old Jan 2, 2008, 4:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci, BA LTG + GGL, SPG LTP, HHonors Diamond, IHG Spire Ambassador
Originally Posted by Squirrel99uk
How do you feel about crew who fill up the overhead bins with their own large carry ons ?
I am not sure if there has been a 'directive' about this but I think things were far better last year. I don't recall what used to be a very regular annoyance of being one of the first on in C and seeing the first few bins full already. I think the crew are now using cupboards or lockers elsewhere in the main. Certainly that was my experience last year anyway ^
Old Jan 2, 2008, 4:33 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Tamsin - what else is there to say?
Originally Posted by PresRDC
That's the official rule in the States. By and large, IME, it seems to work.
That's why you have gate lice, and everyone wants to board first, to get elite status that grants priority boarding, to ensure they secure overhead space for their own bags....

If those are signs of the US system working, thanks, I'd like to stick to a one-bag restriction so I don't have to rush on board to get overhead space!
Old Jan 2, 2008, 6:09 am
Suspended

Programs: Proud owner of 3 Mucci's (yes, 3!) the latest being Chevaliere des Bains Chauds, BA Silver (6 yrs)
Originally Posted by Squirrel99uk
How do you feel about crew who fill up the overhead bins with their own large carry ons ?
On the flights I've been on, crew bags have either at the back of the aircraft, in the galley or in the wardrobe upstairs on the 747. No problem at all. Though there have been some catering items in the overheads in the front of the CE cabin I have never known these to take up more than a small part of the space.

And a PS to those who stow their bags at the front. Are you aware that your actions can delay your flight?

When we're boarding, as you know we often board by seat row and two things can happen. First, passengers try to get on board before their row is called - although we try and turn them back, this can often cause more problems than just to let people go. These people then cause delays in the aircraft whilst they try and stow their belongings whilst everyone else wants to get past them. Part of this rushing to board is to ensure they get space for their bags.

Secondly, those who are courteous and polite enough to wait for their row to be called find there's nowhere to stow their bags by their seats. They then have to go up and down the aircraft looking for somewhere or have the crew assist them in doing so. This takes time and could delay the aircraft. If nowhere can be found to stow the bag, it has to be checked. This often results in an argument with the passenger and more time is wasted, then of course the bag has to be physically removed and placed in the hold - yet more time wasted.

PLEASE be nice and have respect for your fellow passengers - use the overhead in the area immediately above your seat only.

Last edited by sunrisegirl; Jan 2, 2008 at 6:18 am
Old Jan 2, 2008, 6:15 am

Programs: Mucci, BA Gold, HHonours Diamond, BA AMEX PremPlus
Originally Posted by bealine
First/Club pax are allowed two cabin bags.

Traveller pax are allowed one cabin bag in the overhead plus a laptop or small briefcase stowed under the seat in front of you. (Both bags do not go in the overhead!)
So what's the difference between 'two cabin bags' and 'one cabin bag + laptop/briefcase'?
Old Jan 2, 2008, 12:07 pm

Programs: BA Gold, AAdvantage, Miles&More, Miles&Smiles
ba.com has now been updated:

The UK Department for Transport has given approval to a number of UK airports to remove the one-bag restriction on hand baggage.

As a result, British Airways will re-introduce its two-piece hand baggage allowance for customers departing and transferring through the following UK airports with effect from Monday 7 January, 2008:
London Heathrow
London City
Aberdeen
Edinburgh
Glasgow
Manchester

The one-bag restriction will remain in place at a number of other UK airports:
London Gatwick
Jersey
Newcastle
Newquay
The one bag restriction will apply to ALL customers departing or transferring through these airports.

British Airways customers can carry the following as hand baggage from all worldwide destinations and the six UK airports listed above:
· One bag no bigger than 56 cm x 45 cm x 25 cm (22 inches x 17.5 inches x 9.85 inches) (including wheels, pockets and handles)
· In addition, one briefcase or laptop-sized bag
· A maximum hand baggage weight of 23Kg applies and customers must able to lift the bag into the overhead lockers in the aircraft cabin unaided.

Restrictions on the quantity of liquids allowed through airport security search remain in place. Customers must ensure that all liquid containers do not exceed 100ml and are carried in a clear, re-sealable plastic bag no bigger than 20 cm x 20 cm that can be easily closed.

Customers travelling on codeshare or franchise services should check with their operating airline as their baggage allowances may vary.
Old Jan 2, 2008, 1:30 pm

Programs: CO Gold Elite, BA Blue, for the moment - Hyatt Gold Passport, Priority Club, Marriott etc etc
I dispute that! It only works because US carriers employ more staff than European airlines.

Every time I pass through Newark Liberty of Houston's George Bush airports, a veritable mountain of cabin baggage has to be Gate checked because there is no space on board to accommodate it!

If we Gate checked as many bags, we would have delays to our aircraft because we simply don't have enough staff to deal with it!
I am based out of Houston and fly out of IAH 2-3 times a month, often to LGW. I very very very rarely see gate checked bags, unless you're talking about the ERJs that Continental uses to small destinations, and even on full IAH-LGW flights there is ALWAYS room in the overheads.
Old Jan 2, 2008, 5:09 pm

Programs: PC, BA Low Rent Elite
Originally Posted by G-BOAC
I am not sure if there has been a 'directive' about this but I think things were far better last year. I don't recall what used to be a very regular annoyance of being one of the first on in C and seeing the first few bins full already. I think the crew are now using cupboards or lockers elsewhere in the main. Certainly that was my experience last year anyway ^
Perhaps the bags have been harder to find due to reductions in crew numbers on flights
Old Jan 3, 2008, 9:13 am

FWIW, BAA Gatwick have now formally applied to DfT to permission to relax the one-piece rule at Gatwick. A formal response from DfT is expected by end-of-day 03JAN08.

Target dates proposed by Gatwick management are :

South Terminal connections (connecting pax on flights departing from South Terminal) -- 07JAN08
North Terminal connections (connecting pax on flights departing from North Terminal) -- 11FEB08
Central Search (both North AND South Terminals) -- 31MAR08
Old Jan 4, 2008, 2:14 pm

Programs: BA/BD Gold/IC A/*Wood Gold - Certified BodyCombat and BodyPump Instructor
Just got this e-mail from BA:

Dear EuroCheat

Two-piece hand baggage allowance from London Heathrow

I am pleased to advise you that following an announcement by the UK Department for Transport, we are planning to re-introduce our two-piece cabin bag allowance at London Heathrow, London City, Manchester, Glasgow, Edinburgh and Aberdeen airports, with effect from 7 January 2008, bringing these airports into line with current EU regulations.

The change will mean that when you depart from or transfer through these airports you will be able to carry two pieces of hand baggage through security from this date. Your hand baggage allowance when travelling through London Heathrow for example, will therefore be:

· One bag no bigger than 56 cm x 45 cm x 25 cm (22 inches x 17.5 inches x 9.85 inches) (including wheels, pockets and handles)
· A maximum weight of 23kg per bag, and you must be able to lift the bag into the overhead lockers in the aircraft cabin unaided
· In addition, one briefcase or laptop sized bag

Please note that there is no change to the current EU restrictions on the quantity of liquids allowed through airport security. You must continue to ensure that all liquid containers do not exceed 100ml and are carried in a clear, re-sealable plastic bag that can be easily closed.

Also, please note that other UK airports, including London Gatwick, are expected to remove restrictions in line with the new UK Department for Transport guidelines in a phased approach. Until this comes into effect, the one-bag allowance will remain in place for other UK airports.

I hope this information is of use to you, and look forward to welcoming you on board British Airways in the near future.

Warm regards,

Olivia Khwaja
Relationship Marketing Manager, Europe & Africa

Old Jan 4, 2008, 3:41 pm

So what's the difference between 'two cabin bags' and 'one cabin bag + laptop/briefcase'?
I must apologise. My earlier post referring to the difference between First/Club and Traveller cabin baggage allowances was incorrect.

With the relaxation of the "One Bag Rule", all BA passengers will have the same allowance, at least initially! So, in this case, you're right, there's no difference!

British Airways customers can carry the following as hand baggage from all worldwide destinations and the six approved UK airports (including London Heathrow):

One bag no bigger than 56 cm x 45 cm x 25 cm (22 inches x 17.5 inches x 9.85 inches) (including wheels, pockets and handles)
In addition, one briefcase or laptop-sized bag
A maximum hand baggage weight of 23Kg applies and customers must able to lift the bag into the overhead lockers in the aircraft cabin unaided.
Old Jan 4, 2008, 4:12 pm
Suspended

Programs: Proud owner of 3 Mucci's (yes, 3!) the latest being Chevaliere des Bains Chauds, BA Silver (6 yrs)
It's not clear on ba.com and raised some question among my LGW colleagues today - will a ladies handbag be allowed in addition to the one bag, as per the previous rules?
Old Jan 4, 2008, 5:52 pm

Originally Posted by sunrisegirl
It's not clear on ba.com and raised some question among my LGW colleagues today - will a ladies handbag be allowed in addition to the one bag, as per the previous rules?
Surely a ladies handbag comes under "In addition, one briefcase or laptop-sized bag" ?
Old Jan 4, 2008, 6:08 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by spanishflea
Surely a ladies handbag comes under "In addition, one briefcase or laptop-sized bag" ?
I would agree - now which one shall I take.
Old Jan 5, 2008, 1:26 am

.....will a ladies handbag be allowed in addition to the one bag, as per the previous rules?
Not according to the BAA security staff.

At least initially, until they see how well they are coping, all passengers will be subject to the same restriction. viz: One main cabin bag plus a second bag of up to laptop size - no handbags (unless contained in one of the two cabin bags), no umbrellas, no cameras - nothing extra, nix, nada unless contained in one of thw two bags!!!

.......and this, as I mentioned earlier, is regardless of class of travel. Forget any reference to the old British Airways baggage policy!
Old Jan 5, 2008, 1:36 am
uk1
Suspended

Not according to the BAA security staff.

At least initially, until they see how well they are coping, all passengers will be subject to the same restriction. viz: One main cabin bag plus a second bag of up to laptop size - no handbags (unless contained in one of the two cabin bags), no umbrellas, no cameras - nothing extra, nix, nada unless contained in one of thw two bags!!!

.......and this, as I mentioned earlier, is regardless of class of travel. Forget any reference to the old British Airways baggage policy!
What I do not understand is why would it not be possible for the BAA to relax the rule for the fast-track lines where as I understand it the airlines fund the cost of the BAA staff?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.