Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Two pieces of hand baggage to be allowed at LHR, but not LGW

Old Dec 30, 07, 3:46 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP 2 MM

From the Guardian:
At Heathrow, Stansted, Manchester and 16 other airports, passengers will be allowed to carry more than one piece of hand luggage through security checkpoints from January 7, the Department for Transport said yesterday. However, the one-bag limit will remain at Gatwick, Edinburgh and Glasgow until those airports prove they can process more items without compromising security standards. ... It is expected that the 19 airports given the all-clear by the DfT yesterday will raise the limit to two bags.

The other 16 airports are: Aberdeen; Birmingham; London City; Cardiff; Prestwick; Southampton; Inverness; Islay; Kirkwall; Plymouth; Southend; Cambridge; Stornaway; Sumburgh; Benbecula and Wick.
Old Dec 30, 07, 3:48 am

Originally Posted by nbevan View Post
From the Guardian:
Yep... another receipt for confusion!
Old Dec 30, 07, 4:17 am

I thought it was obvious that this would happen initially and that there would be some confusion. Hopefully the BAA at LGW will sort themselves out fairly quickly
Old Dec 30, 07, 4:19 am

Programs: BA GGL; SPG Plat; HH Diamond
What size limit will the second bag have? Same dimensions as the first or strictly laptop size?
Old Dec 30, 07, 4:35 am

Programs: BA, BD, AF, LH, AA, EK, Hilton, ICHG, SPG
So if somebody is flying MAN-LHR-XXX, they can take 2 pieces. What if it's MAN-LGW-XXX? Do they get to take 2 pieces through at MAN only to fall foul of the system at LGW, or is there a big kerfuffle at MAN to sort out who's connecting through a 1-bag airport?

Sorry, not impressed

Edited to add : And why do they now re-screen domestic connecting pax at LGW anyway, when it's not considered necessary at LHR?

Last edited by Steady-EDI; Dec 30, 07 at 4:45 am
Old Dec 30, 07, 7:33 am

Programs: MUCCI
Originally Posted by adrianjc32 View Post
Hopefully the BAA at LGW ...

What's with the "the"?

Remember BAA is a company, and the letters in its name ('B', 'A' and 'A') officially stand for nothing. I get driven mad by all these news reports saying "the British Airports Authority which run" (or worse still GMTV: "which *govern* UK airports...").

It just makes people forget this is a comercial company.

Here's an idea, forget breaking up the common ownership of Gatwick, Heathrow and Stanstead because its a monopoly, how about breaking up Heathrow itself into separate terminals... ok that would have problems but its food for thought.
Old Dec 30, 07, 7:48 am

Programs: BA Gold, BMI Gold, Flyingblue Gold, Alitalia Platinum, IC RA, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold
twts
Old Dec 30, 07, 7:50 am

Programs: BA Gold (and many other greater and lesser distinctions)
Whilst some may welcome this, I groan inwardly at the prospect of what this will do to the queues and how it will give the BAA (as in "the BBC", in answer to one of the earlier posts) yet another ready made excuse for the delays.
Old Dec 30, 07, 7:55 am

Programs: BA Gold, BMI Gold, Flyingblue Gold, Alitalia Platinum, IC RA, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold
Exclamation

Originally Posted by David-A View Post

Here's an idea, forget breaking up the common ownership of Gatwick, Heathrow and Stanstead because its a monopoly, how about breaking up Heathrow itself into separate terminals... ok that would have problems but its food for thought.
More like Comical company.

I was looking at alternative ways to getting home on Friday 18th, with SOU, LGW, STN and LHR all being BAA, EDI and GLA being BAA too north of the border, it leaves me NCL, PIK, DND "nearer" to Edinburgh from LCY or LTN.

The strike will have one effect, to restrengthen the case for BAA breakup.

Looks like it's train for me Friday.

Subhi
Old Dec 30, 07, 12:02 pm
Suspended

Programs: Proud owner of 3 Mucci's (yes, 3!) the latest being Chevaliere des Bains Chauds, BA Silver (6 yrs)
Oh and isn't this going to be fun for those of us who work at LGW. It's bad enough trying to explain that although you're allowed two bags in the rest of the world, not in the UK. Now to have to explain that this is an airport in the UK where you're not allowed

What are these goons up to?
Old Dec 30, 07, 12:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BAEC/IB
Looks as if there won't be anything to worry about.

Heathrow's owner, BAA, said it expected Edinburgh and Glasgow to receive the all-clear next week in time for introduction on January 7, with restrictions at Gatwick - Britain's second-busiest airport - lifted for passengers on connecting flights only. "We fully anticipate more of our airports, including Edinburgh and Glasgow, being added to the DfT list next week," a BAA spokesman said.
Don't panic.
Old Dec 30, 07, 12:36 pm

Location: SCL, MCT, LGW and a variety of 1W lounges in between.
Programs: BA Mucci (Seigneur et Ingenieur des Appareils Volants (Gold)), QF (WP and LTG), AA EXP, GF Gold
I am still waiting for my suit carrier to explode after a few years. It was safe for years when it went through the LGW or LHR scanner most days. Now it looks like it will blow up if I take it near LGW still.

Let us take suit carriers on again!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old Dec 30, 07, 1:02 pm

Originally Posted by David-A View Post
What's with the "the"?

Remember BAA is a company, and the letters in its name ('B', 'A' and 'A') officially stand for nothing. I get driven mad by all these news reports saying "the British Airports Authority which run" (or worse still GMTV: "which *govern* UK airports...").

Thankyou, I am well aware of the status of the BAA. I am also aware that LHR is run by HAL "Heathrow Airport Limited" and LGW by GAL, both of which are divisions of the BAA. I am also aware that the CAA are not bothered, they are looking at each airport individually and making decisions based on their opinions around the ability of each airport to manage two bags without risking a drop in the security screening process.

Your idea about splitting LHR up is not a daft one at all, look at JFK where BA run T7.
Old Dec 30, 07, 3:58 pm

Originally Posted by Steady-EDI View Post
So if somebody is flying MAN-LHR-XXX, they can take 2 pieces. What if it's MAN-LGW-XXX? Do they get to take 2 pieces through at MAN only to fall foul of the system at LGW, or is there a big kerfuffle at MAN to sort out who's connecting through a 1-bag airport?
One of the policies being discussed by the AOC at Gatwick is to permit 2 pieces for all CONNECTING passengers at Gatwick, but to maintain the restriction of 1 piece for all ORIGINATING passengers until the central search facilities are geared up to deal with the increase in volume. This is the most likely scenario for January implementation, followed by the relaxation of the restrictions soon after the school half-term breaks, but no later than May.
Old Dec 30, 07, 4:53 pm
Suspended

Programs: Proud owner of 3 Mucci's (yes, 3!) the latest being Chevaliere des Bains Chauds, BA Silver (6 yrs)
They have been extending the central search area at LGW and this is close to completion. Testing has been going on in the last week or two so maybe this is what they're waiting for. I can only hope so.

Maybe they also need extra staff for the area, though quite why they haven't thought of this earlier who knows

Search this Thread

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: