Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

The 'Extra Legroom Seats in Club' Guide to the 747

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The 'Extra Legroom Seats in Club' Guide to the 747

Search this Thread

Old Dec 10, 2011, 9:35 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
On LAX-LHR-LAX 747 70C, I have 13D outbound (it seems nobody from EF will be stepping over me, as they face forward), and 62A in the SUD return. Only 60A is available in the SUD on the outbound, and I am unsure if it would be as useful as 13D as it appears I would have to step out over someone else to access the lav.

I am 193cm / 6'4" and on the outbound prefer to snag some kip, therefore the question - 13D or 60A, that is the question. TIA!
Old Mar 23, 2012, 1:53 pm

another one...

Torn between 64a and 64k on day flight LHR-PHX. any advice? convince me to make a choice of one or another!!!
Old Mar 25, 2012, 4:50 pm

Programs: QF Plat & LTG; A3*A Gold; Avianca LM; Velocity; IHG Platinum, Accor All
Originally Posted by JDiver
On LAX-LHR-LAX 747 70C, I have 13D outbound (it seems nobody from EF will be stepping over me, as they face forward), and 62A in the SUD return. Only 60A is available in the SUD on the outbound, and I am unsure if it would be as useful as 13D as it appears I would have to step out over someone else to access the lav.

I am 193cm / 6'4" and on the outbound prefer to snag some kip, therefore the question - 13D or 60A, that is the question. TIA!
Not really directly answering your question, but I believe that for anyone taller than about 6'2", most of the BA seats are too much of a squeeze. I am 6'5" (195cm) and find that only the few "extra legroom seats" mentioned in this thread offer a reasonably comfortable sleep without the sardine kind of feeling. If you are my height (or yours), you cannot stretch out in any comfort in the regular BA CW seats and the seat itself is too narrow to allow you to find m/any comfortable positions with knees bent. This is the main reason why I prefer not to fly BA and try to make sure I can snare one of the 'ELS' well in advance when I do need to.

Having said that I would probably go for 60A as I still prefer the upstairs cabin (less dorm-like), and long legs make stepping over other pax less problematic.

tb
Old Mar 28, 2012, 2:53 pm

Programs: BA Silver
Originally Posted by off2rome
Torn between 64a and 64k on day flight LHR-PHX. any advice? convince me to make a choice of one or another!!!
I like A better, but a lot of people seem to prefer K as it's more private.

ETA - just spotted that this is the 'legroom' thread, not the 'seating queries' thread. A has more extra legroom than K.

Last edited by CardiffScot; Mar 28, 2012 at 3:33 pm
Old Mar 28, 2012, 10:19 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver, SPG Somthingorother, et Mucci
Originally Posted by off2rome
I tend to favour A ever so slightly for two reasons: 1) The footrest "floats" in space so my feet can hang over the end. I'm 6'5" and while K does have a couple of extra inches, being mounted on the wall, there is no possibility of overhang. 2) Being right handed, having the side storage bins on my right makes for easier access to my beveridge.

Having said that, 64k is still better than any regular CW seat.
Old Apr 24, 2012, 5:44 am

Programs: AAdvantage, MIleagePlus, Skywards
Flew 62K today. Great seat for sleeping.
Anyone have a problem booking 64A online? Shows available til I select the passenger and then shows not available. Is this due to being a bassinet/cot seat and I have no infant in my booking?
Old Apr 24, 2012, 6:08 am

Originally Posted by aragno
Flew 62K today. Great seat for sleeping.
Anyone have a problem booking 64A online? Shows available til I select the passenger and then shows not available. Is this due to being a bassinet/cot seat and I have no infant in my booking?
I have the same issue sometimes with 64A. I have always assumed it is for the reason you say. I assume you are a tall person though (posting on ths thread). If so I would encourage you to book 62A/K. The ability for your feet to 'overshoot' in those seats is very welcome. In 64K (my previous seat of choice) my feet tended to end up on the shelf thing on the bulkhead. Not a major problem admittedly, but nice to avoid. 62A/K are also cooler and better ventilated IMHO
Old Jul 4, 2012, 9:51 am

Programs: UA 1K, AS MVP 75K, HI DIA
Any issues in either 64A/K caused by being so close to the lav? I can't think of anything less appealing than smelling the lav during the entirety of a 10 hour flight ex-west coast USA to LHR.
Old Jul 4, 2012, 11:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by launchylaunchbos
Any issues in either 64A/K caused by being so close to the lav?
64K: definitely not.

This is often discussed here: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/briti...lub-world.html
Old Jul 4, 2012, 8:40 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver; AS Gold; Starbucks Platinum Plus, no Mucci
Originally Posted by launchylaunchbos
Any issues in either 64A/K caused by being so close to the lav? I can't think of anything less appealing than smelling the lav during the entirety of a 10 hour flight ex-west coast USA to LHR.
64A -- no lav issues that I've ever experienced. There's a little bit more light at that end of the cabin (during night flights) because of the galley, but this has never been an issue for me.
Old Jul 4, 2012, 10:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA
So some flights of mine to/from DFW just switched to a 747. Everything but 62JK are available on the upper deck. Are any seats not worth it on the upper deck?
Old Jul 5, 2012, 8:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by wrp96
Are any seats not worth it on the upper deck?
At the risk of setting off another round of sneering, and emphasising that we are talking about a context of UD CW seats, I would quietly and diffidently suggest that you might want not to put 60B at the top of your list of preferences.

For positive suggestions, go for 62A or 64K - the former if you prefer openness and contact with the outside world and your fellow passengers, the latter if you prefer privacy and solitude. All of these in the context of UD CW seats, of course - we are not talking extremes here.
Old Jul 5, 2012, 9:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA
Originally Posted by Globaliser
At the risk of setting off another round of sneering, and emphasising that we are talking about a context of UD CW seats, I would quietly and diffidently suggest that you might want not to put 60B at the top of your list of preferences.

For positive suggestions, go for 62A or 64K - the former if you prefer openness and contact with the outside world and your fellow passengers, the latter if you prefer privacy and solitude. All of these in the context of UD CW seats, of course - we are not talking extremes here.
Funny enough, on one of the flights 60B is blocked.

This will actually be my first time in the UD so since any seat will be a novel experience I basically just need to decide whether I want aisle or window and I'll be happy, correct? When I booked I almost routed through another city to get the 747 but the DFW flights had the best schedule/price for me so couldn't justify it - so I'm really happy with BA for giving me this new experience. Thanks for the help.
Old Jul 6, 2012, 10:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by wrp96
Funny enough, on one of the flights 60B is blocked.
Yes, there are some flights on which 60B is blocked for operational reasons, for possible crew use. I don't know the details, but I'm happy that it's applied to the least best seat on the UD.
Old Jul 14, 2012, 7:05 am

Programs: Qantas
Hi guys,

Thanks for those who have contributed to this thread. It seems that 64A is seen as a good seat. I'm flying SYD-SIN in Sept and this is my first ever BA J experiece (actually first J over 4 hour INT flight).

I've done wondering if there is anything I should know to maximise the experience. I've done heaps of flying but almost always in Y domestic flights in Australia.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.