Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

The 'Extra Legroom Seats in Club' Guide to the 747

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 9, 2007, 2:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Now they are all embodied with the latest seat, time for my little survey to be published. I am focussing on those seats that offer a little extra room when the seats is in bed mode. This is good for 6ft and above people who - like me - can't stretch out fully in the 'normal' seat. It is based on hard evidence - sitting in many of the seats and inspecting the rest.

Main Deck

Between Door 1 and 2 (applies to 70J planes only)

12J - offers an extra 3" of space. While an aisle (and thus less desirable for sleeping in owing to light, noise), it is unusually private with no foot traffic and only a little noise from the F galley
13D has a shield (more details below) but there is around 1" between the footrest and the shield)
14A - offers an extra 2".
14EF - offers an extra 1" - would be more but the bassinet intrudes into the footspace slightly
14K - 2.5", slightly more than 14A.
13B, 13G do not offer extra space. They have a shield around the footstall, which wraps around one side and 3/4 of the end of the seat.

Aft of Door 2

20A - offers an extra 2".
20EF - offers an extra 2" - the bassinet intrudes into the footspace slightly but still leaves more room than 14EF
20K - offers an extra 2".
17BDGJ have the wraparound shield
LCSinTexas likes this.

Last edited by Swanhunter; Dec 13, 2007 at 1:54 am Reason: Additional information on 13D
Old Dec 9, 2007, 2:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Upper Deck (all 747)

60B - 1" extra space. N.B on the longest routes where a full relief crew is carried (i.e. HKG, SIN) this is a crew rest seat
60J - 1.5" extra space
62AK - effectivly unlimited space. However, since the shield was removed on conversion your feet can get rather cold if the seal in the door isn't perfect.
63J - 3" between the footrest and the back of the crew seats
64A - effectivly unlimited space, but does get some noise/light from the galley
64K - 3" extra space, and shielded by the lav from the galley

63B has a shield, and no extra space at all.
LCSinTexas likes this.

Last edited by Swanhunter; Dec 13, 2007 at 1:58 am
Old Dec 9, 2007, 2:46 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver; Muccis du Monde des Peluches
Many many thanks for this. ^^

I had been hoping for exactly this - but I thought it was too much to hope for. Quite the most useful thread (for me) that I've seen for ages. I usually get 62A or 62K which (as I'm certain you know) have essentially unlimited extra legroom, but I guess the day will come when I'm not that lucky. The fact that some seats have this extra room is, for me, by far the biggest single advantage of NNCW.

Are you looking for further contributions? I'll take my tape measure on my next CW flight in 15 days' time (currently in 62K, but who knows if that seat will even work on the day).
Old Dec 9, 2007, 3:04 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges and Environmentally Friendly Travel

Nice work Swanhunter and thanks for sharing this info, very useful on those occasions when our personal favourites are unavailable to us.
Old Dec 10, 2007, 3:06 am

Programs: BA Gold
Thanks. Now everyone knows which is not great us at 6ft +. Maybe there should be a minimum height for these seats!
Old Dec 10, 2007, 5:34 am

Programs: BA
Worthy of inclusion in The Ultimate Guide methinks

Paging Shuttle-Bored
Old Dec 10, 2007, 10:50 am

Originally Posted by Ian T
Thanks. Now everyone knows which is not great us at 6ft +. Maybe there should be a minimum height for these seats!
It would be a (very welcome) first if an airline actually allocated seats (wihtin a particular cabin, of course) on the basis of height. In Y, where it is rather more of an issue, I've never known it happen - although once, on a United domestic flight, the cabin crew felt so sorry for me they just moved me to F.

Anyway, let's hope that shorter passengers actually prefer having a bed that has a proper footend. They should be warned that if they sit in Swanhunter's seats they might slip out beyond the footrest.
Old Dec 10, 2007, 10:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Glad it's been of use. The UD guide will come on Thursday after the overnight back from marvellous Mumbai, but of course any contributions/observations welcomed. Especially if anyone feels like taking a tape on board rather than relying on my mark 1 eyeball measurements.
Old Dec 10, 2007, 11:08 am
TTL

Programs: HH Diam, AY/AX/KQ/IHG/VISA Plat, SK/Bonvoy/Melia/Strawberry Gold, Radisson Prem, PP Prest
Originally Posted by Ian T
When at the check in, if it comes to that, it is always handy to be 198 cm in height=) Like me...
Old Dec 10, 2007, 11:28 am

With such accurate legroom estimates at least we will be spot warped fuselages
Old Dec 10, 2007, 12:29 pm

Programs: PC RA, Hertz PC, (Flybe) Premier card, Tesco Platinum
Originally Posted by LeisureFirst
It would be a (very welcome) first if an airline actually allocated seats (wihtin a particular cabin, of course) on the basis of height.
With respect, and as a 5'6" person, I still enjoy a decent amount of space and am a bit fed up of the lofty type complaining about lack of legroom.

fwiw, I recommend the 6'6" seats at the front
LCSinTexas likes this.
Old Dec 10, 2007, 5:08 pm

Originally Posted by Macspreader
With respect, and as a 5'6" person, I still enjoy a decent amount of space and am a bit fed up of the lofty type complaining about lack of legroom.
With all due respect to you, young dwarf, does it make any difference to you if you can stick your feet out beyond the footrest or not if the bed, with footrest, is 6' or so long anyway? I wouldn't have thought you would actually sleep sticking out over the end of the bed unless you had to.
RockyRobin likes this.

Last edited by LeisureFirst; Dec 10, 2007 at 5:39 pm Reason: mis-spelling
Old Dec 10, 2007, 5:31 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: some
Great work swanhunter. I presume you are allowing for the slightly different variations in the new club world? (eg I've had 3 different footrest models that I've noticed.)
Old Dec 10, 2007, 5:35 pm

Originally Posted by Kiwi Flyer
I've had 3 different footrest models that I've noticed.
They would be "stiff", "tempremental", and "totally fooked". (excuse the Northern slang)
Old Dec 11, 2007, 2:11 am

Originally Posted by Macspreader

fwiw, I recommend the 6'6" seats at the front
As a 5'6" person you will still be able to stretch out and enjoy all the other seats in club with 1/2 foot to spare.

Also, you wont have spotted the downside to the seats in the front because your feet wont make it as far as the cramped foot area (one area of first that could be improved).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.