Wiki Posts
Search

Traveling with toddler in Club World

Search this Thread

Old Dec 8, 2007, 10:08 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA Concierge Key, SPG Plat, Hyatt Diam
Traveling with toddler in Club World

My wife and I are traveling with our 17 month old to Bangladesh this winter. The routing is DFW-ORD-LHR-DAC (AA and BA). We have three business class seats. My question is this:

1. Do I need to put my 17 month old (20 lbs) in a car seat? If not, should I get the CAREs restraint system (http://www.kidsflysafe.com/about.php)

2. Are we even allowed to lug a car seat through God forsaken LHR?

3. Should I get bulkhead seats?

Any advice to make this journey bearable would be greatly appreciated

Thank you in advance. Assuming no one from this board is going to Dhaka - if you are let me know and I'll post the details of the flight!

Canuck
Old Dec 8, 2007, 1:00 pm

Programs: Mucci, BA Gold, HHonours Diamond, BA AMEX PremPlus
OK, for the BA legs, you will have to take a car seat - BA don't allow the use of CAREs for any situation where the seatbelt sign is on. For that reason, I doubt you'll have a problem at LHR with a carseat.

On BA, there's not really such a think as a bulkhead seat in CW - I assume you're not interested in using a basinette because you have a seat for junior. I'd suggest you ask for a middle pair and one of the aisle seats (not sure you'd even be able to choose the basinette position as you already have a seat for Jr.)
Old Dec 8, 2007, 1:50 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA Concierge Key, SPG Plat, Hyatt Diam
Thank you for the response. To clarify, is a car seat mandatory on BA? Can I get away with just using the airline lap belt?

Thank you.
Canuck
Old Dec 8, 2007, 6:06 pm

Programs: BA GGL/GfL
As Teece says you won't be able to get the Bassinet seats in advance if you have a seat for Jr, at least not until check in where you might be able to snag them if unallocated. I think they carry the infant bulkhead seats on all flights so then, even if they are not expecting a child, they might have one spare.

My experience of small people in Club seats throws up one main issue, seat belt position in 'bed' mode. The belt is a way down an adult when flat and if you have a toddler up near the top of the 'bed' the belt hardly snags their ankles.

I don't think you have to take a car seat and in 'seat' mode the seat belt postion is fine for a little one. In addition BA do allow (insist on for lap children) seat belt extenders for under 24 months and so if the worst came to pass - you had bad turbulance, Jr was using the bed mode and you felt it wasn't secure - you just use the extender on Mom (or even Dad ).

Voluntarily waking the the little demon you just spent an excruciating 4 hours getting to sleep is a whole other matter of course....!
Old Dec 9, 2007, 4:38 pm
GLA

Programs: BA VS
You do not need to take a car seat. Junior can sit in a lap for landing and take off. A car seat will just make life difficult for you in transit and in the air.

We travelled with our 23 month old daughter GLA-LHR-PHL and back in J in September. We booked 2 seats, crossed our fingers and managed to snag an extra seat for both TATL legs due to very helpful crew! At least you don't need to cross your fingers!!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.