Wiki Posts
Search

Gatwick Connection times?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 23, 2007, 11:01 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA-EXP, LATAM Gold+, BA-Blues
Gatwick Connection times?

Is 55 minutes long enough to connect between two BA flights at LGW? I know it's advertised to be (just) enough time, but as the MCT's have just been lengthened at LHR, I wonder if I haven't set myself up for disaster... for reference, I'm scheduled to arrive LGW at 19h55.

A second, related question: If the connection should fail, the next flight (to Geneva) is only scheduled for the following morning, and indeed, the earliest flight departs from LHR, rather than LGW. While I'm quite certain BA will reaccommodate me on their next GVA service, should they also provide me with transport to LHR as well as accommodation for the night? (The whole itinerary is through-ticketed)

Thanks for your thoughts,

Checkerboard
Old Jul 23, 2007, 4:05 pm

Programs: HiltonH. Gold Starwood Gold BA BLUES! Mucci.
You will probably make it.... but I doubt if any checked luggage would!!!! Also not sure you would automatically get a hotel and a transfer to LHR next morning if you miss the connection these days either!! I would be tempted to give them a ring...
Old Jul 25, 2007, 9:50 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA-EXP, LATAM Gold+, BA-Blues
Thanks. I've been taking a look over the last few days, and it seems that I'm more or less doomed to miss this connection (my prospective inbound flight--BA-2563--has been late every day I've checked, anywhere from 12 minutes to several hours).

In the case of a mis-connect due to a late arriving service (rather than just a very tight connection), I'd hope (and indeed suspect) that normal reaccomodaion (on BA from LHR, or another airline from LGW) would ensue...

Is there any way to find out why a flight has been delayed? (in case the delays I've observed really are weather related).
Old Jul 25, 2007, 9:53 am
Suspended

Programs: Proud owner of 3 Mucci's (yes, 3!) the latest being Chevaliere des Bains Chauds, BA Silver (6 yrs)
You could always try calling BA to ask - they should be able to advise you.

Up until today, I believe there was still some catching up from the weather as some aircraft were out of position and it took 2-3 days to catch up.

What is your date of travel BTW?
Old Jul 25, 2007, 11:52 am

Programs: BAEC Silver,clubcard,clubcard plus, BA Amex................ And Mucci x3 ;)
sorry to ask a similar question on someone else's thread but...............

there is a good possibility that i will be booking some flights connecting via LGW sometime soon with BA.

i expect be NQY-LGW-EDI and or NQY-LGW-DUB to visit family for a few days with some leave iv got coming up.

can anyone give me any recent experience of connecting via LGW for domestic-domestic flights, Thru checking bags, how to connect at LGW etc???

obviously i do have other options from NQY to both of these places, however WOW to DUB is only once a day and quite often in the past when i checked they were more expensive than BA via LGW and EDI would be with Flymaybe and well, yeah, say no more!

any advice would be great, thanks
Old Jul 25, 2007, 12:39 pm

Programs: BA Gold; VA Velocity Gold; LH FTL; Marriott Gold; ICHG Platinum AMB; Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by cornishsimon
sorry to ask a similar question on someone else's thread but...............

there is a good possibility that i will be booking some flights connecting via LGW sometime soon with BA.

i expect be NQY-LGW-EDI and or NQY-LGW-DUB to visit family for a few days with some leave iv got coming up.

can anyone give me any recent experience of connecting via LGW for domestic-domestic flights, Thru checking bags, how to connect at LGW etc???

obviously i do have other options from NQY to both of these places, however WOW to DUB is only once a day and quite often in the past when i checked they were more expensive than BA via LGW and EDI would be with Flymaybe and well, yeah, say no more!

any advice would be great, thanks

There should be no reason why you can't check the bags all the way through to EDI or DUB from NQY, and the same on the return.

EDI and NQY both depart from the same gate area around Gate 55. You should simply walk off one plane and onto the other UNLESS you end up being bussed from the plane on arrival at LGW - that would deposit you close to domestic baggage claim, and from that point connecting means going upstairs and going through the main security checkpoint (unless I've missed something).

Not sure what happens with DUB flights I'm afraid.
Old Jul 25, 2007, 12:45 pm
Suspended

Programs: Proud owner of 3 Mucci's (yes, 3!) the latest being Chevaliere des Bains Chauds, BA Silver (6 yrs)
Originally Posted by House
Not sure what happens with DUB flights I'm afraid.
DUB flights also clear through the domestic channel. They tend to depart from Gate 56 or 57 normally, right next to the domestic 55 ones.
Old Jul 25, 2007, 12:54 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges and Environmentally Friendly Travel

...and security will need to take your portrait, so it's a landside connection in both directions, i'm afraid.
Old Jul 25, 2007, 3:36 pm

Programs: BA Gold, VS Silver, Marriott Ambassador, HH diamond IHG plat
Regarding checked-through domestic baggage via LGW, I have always found that on BA it is far more reliable via LGW than LHR (but that would not be difficult, would it? ). It is sometimes quite a walk round to landside and back again via what might be a long security queue and to get your photo taken, added to the extra time it sometimes takes to get into departure area if your inbound domestic flight arrives at an international stand and you have to get bussed round....but it all usually works alright and I have never been late for such a connection, and do it regularly, so I am sure you will be OK

Last edited by chipster; Jul 25, 2007 at 3:37 pm Reason: typo
Old Jul 25, 2007, 3:54 pm

Programs: BA back down to Blue, PC Plat
Originally Posted by Prospero
...and security will need to take your portrait, so it's a landside connection in both directions, i'm afraid.
You're only going to need the photo taking if you are going to pass the entry to the domestic gate area; if you are connecting domestic-domestic (but not including, I think, Ireland) you will be fine without the photo IF YOU NEVER NEED TO LEAVE THE DOMESTIC GATE AREA. As has been pointed out, if you get bussed at arrival that's that buggered.
Old Jul 25, 2007, 3:58 pm

I seem to recall reading in several instances that the NQY flight arrives onto an international gate, as the aircraft's following flight is always non-domestic?
Old Jul 25, 2007, 4:00 pm

NSFU is correct; I have done ABZ-LGW-NQY and return all without leaving the domestic gate area; however, If you have status and want to go to the lounge you have to go all the way out and back through security. The same applies if you want to grab something more substantial to eat or if you like "Shopping"
Old Jul 25, 2007, 4:06 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges and Environmentally Friendly Travel

Originally Posted by NSFU
You're only going to need the photo taking if you are going to pass the entry to the domestic gate area; if you are connecting domestic-domestic (but not including, I think, Ireland) you will be fine without the photo IF YOU NEVER NEED TO LEAVE THE DOMESTIC GATE AREA. As has been pointed out, if you get bussed at arrival that's that buggered.
Of course, that makes perfect sense. At the gate 55 cluster, there is no mixing with international passengers and the only way out is through arrivals/baggage reclaim.
Old Jul 25, 2007, 4:07 pm

Originally Posted by spanishflea
I seem to recall reading in several instances that the NQY flight arrives onto an international gate, as the aircraft's following flight is always non-domestic?
I've just looked it up. The aircraft schedule is:

MAN-LGW-NQY-LGW-ZRH

So you are fine staying in the domestic area for the LGW-NQY flight, but you are unlikely to arrive into the domestic area on the NQY-LGW flight.
Old Jul 25, 2007, 4:11 pm

Well it happened to me; NQY-LGW-ABZ... we arrived around gate 56-57 and the magic doors opened and we were in the domestic arrivals zone... no doubt with the doors closed, the a/c can be accessed from the euro gates...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.