Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Wife Not Allowed in Row 1 - Advice Please

Search this Thread

Old Jul 16, 2007, 9:43 am

Programs: BA Silver, HHonours Gold, Mucci of Pucci, Oyster Card, Nectar Card, Father's Day Card
Originally Posted by G-BOAC
edi-traveller - AFAIK, only 1AK are protected. So on the 777 anyone can get 1EF (silly, I know...). Was it your wife + son in 1EF and you in 1K? That would make sense (all F pax can pre-assign hence no problem for your son even on his own booking).

On the plus side, good to hear they are honouring TCPs for Golds again as promised and not only linked your booking, but got you all seats (albeit with the silly move to row 2 too).
Yup - spot on - I was in 1K.

Only other slight issue was I had moved the mrs and I to 62AB on the way back. When they moved the little one they put him in 61B - i.e. directly behind us - probably not a problem but we prefer to sit in a line - so moved us all into Row 61........
Old Jul 16, 2007, 10:20 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Tamsin - what else is there to say?
There is another option for the OP. His wife gets gold status too....
Old Jul 16, 2007, 11:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: LH HON, BA Gold, EK Gold
I wouldn't worry too much as I don't think that the seats 1A and 1K are in fact the best seats in the house !

Last time I was in 1A I voluntarily moved because (once again) the cabin was falling to pieces. This time the baby bassinet table (next to 1A) was wobbly and made quite a bit of noise during every minor turbulence.
Old Jul 16, 2007, 11:32 am

Programs: Mucci Diamond Hairbrush. And Nouveau Bronze
Originally Posted by Raffles
Anyway, why do you want Row 1?! Too confined and continually disturbed by people accessing the cupboard
Agree completely. I much prefer 2A/K over 1A/K. There's a novelty value to having a BP that says 1A, but so what? I found the footwell felt cramped due to the wardrobe, the traffic around the wardrobe was annoying, and (contrary to some reports) you can't see dead ahead through the windows.

And 2A/K are *much* closer to the post-dinner chocolates
Old Jul 16, 2007, 12:54 pm

Originally Posted by LeisureFirst
I thought I was bad spending about an hour or so on the phone trying to work out on one occasion why I couldn't change my CW seat from the nasty one at the back downstairs that I had been assigned.

I sympathize with your frustration, but which particular seat was worth 3 months of your time? You were on a flight to the moon?
In this case i was taking my girlfriend on her first FIRST flight and wanted to make it the best it could be. In the end a friend of mine in BA had to go through quite a few channels just to get it..for which i am most grateful. I was in 1A and she was 2K. Finally we got 1A and K.
Old Jul 16, 2007, 12:56 pm

Right. So we're supposed to 'believe you' that you've been 'dealing with this' every second of every minute of every hour of ever day of every week of every month since booking?
I frequently travel with those who dont have gold and since i travel alot....yes i can honestly say ive been dealing with this an awful lot. I am yet to try 2A and K though. Maybe thats the way forward?
Old Jul 16, 2007, 1:15 pm

Programs: AAdvantage EXP
Is it specifically the window seat you want?

Mrssimongr has yet to fly in F and when she does I will want her next to me rather than across a gaping chasm (hyperbole intended) to be able to share dinner, talk without disturbing other pax etc... Mind you if she has dropped a sprog by then she will be in 4K and I might in 1A
Old Jul 16, 2007, 1:33 pm

Programs: BAGold, Marriott, Marriott Gold, Tesco, BA Amex, Amex Plat, Holiday Inn RA
I'm not so sure about this. I booked LIN-NBO and got 1A on the return leg automatically assigned (also on the LIN-LHR leg I got 1A). MMB showed that I had other options including 2A.

I had to change my return date (the reason for booking LIN is the ticket is flexible, the A fare which is slightly cheaper is not) and the automatic seating gave me 2A. 1A is closed for selection. I'm not sure why I got 1A on first booking.

When travelling with my GF I prefer 4EF, I'm not sure the first experience is the same if it means you can't talk to each other. Not that she'd let me book a window seat, she'd rather go CW.

I'm blue for the last 8 years or so but usually do 1-2 F flights a year.
Old Jul 16, 2007, 1:59 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver; Muccis du Monde des Peluches
I think I am disagreeing with most other FT'ers here, but I don't think BA's seating policy in this particular respect is so unreasonable. I'm not saying it is the one I would devise myself, but I don't think it is all that terrible and it is not worse (again, I emphasize in this particular respect) than that of some other major airlines.

BA has decided that it would like to reserve what are often (mistakenly, most here would say) regarded as its most prestigious seats for what it regards as its most valued passengers if they want them. I don't see that this is any worse than say, giving the pick of the economy seats to elite status pax which many airlines do. When I was a graduate student and subsequently Research Fellow (on this side of the pond) and Assistant Professor (on the other) making frequent (mostly work-related) trips to the U.S. usually on United, I would be very miffed if I didn't get an exit row seat because they had been given to MP Premier/1K/tiara-holding members or whatever, but that is what often happened. I still think that situation rather worse than this one, in fact, because at a shade over 6'4" I had a special need for one of those seats which, with great respect, I doubt applies to Mrs SFW13's desire for 1K.

I do agree with Raffles that the refusal of BA to make a good effort to seat together those passengers who are travelling together is pretty unreasonable, however.

Last edited by LeisureFirst; Jul 16, 2007 at 2:05 pm
Old Jul 16, 2007, 2:07 pm

Right. So we're supposed to 'believe you' that you've been 'dealing with this' every second of every minute of every hour of ever day of every week of every month since booking?
Come on now, you won't even allow a frustrated customer some leeway to indulge in hyperbole? Isn't it a perfectly acceptable figure of speech in English?
Old Jul 16, 2007, 2:45 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold; SPG Platinum
Try 4 E/F - not sure what all the fuss is about 1 A/K

Alternatively (dare I say it), save some miles and bag a couple of good seats in Club on the upper deck.
Old Jul 16, 2007, 5:10 pm
vla

Programs: Mucci, BAEC Gold, Aegean Gold
Originally Posted by VC10 Boy
I'd suggest going for 1A and 4K. Then I'd be tempted to keep asking the purser to take a message to your wife and vice versa. They'll get sick of it and with any luck ask the person in 1K to move.

Be apologetic of course but blame the BA seating policy.
Heh.

I also travel with non-status or non-Exec Club pax and think that aspect of it is sloppy, FWIW. But it ain't worth much to those that matter. Maybe you could make a voluntary contribution in lieu of actual travel to The Company in the amount of the equivalent of 2100 points UK / 1200 points Eurocheat. But actually I think they'd make you fly to get the gold card anyway (+4x BA metal, there may some delays in processing your promotion(s), please be patient thank you).

Actually if you want to send a message, arrange an alternative, cancel the tix and send a brief, polite letter based on fact to Prince William's office, concluding explicitly that the reason you cancelled your ticket was because of the seating policy, and see if they respond. If you do so, you will find great interest here if you post your experiences as well.

And as Eddie alluded to, personally I'd rather have 60A/B or 12J/K when travelling with someone as you can keep the screen down and have a face-to-face situation that, for once, isn't sort of awkward.
Old Jul 17, 2007, 1:06 am

Programs: QFF (Gold), Skywards, Rapid Rewards,United, Velocity, Hilton Silver
Now I am intending to book 2 F awards LHR-BOS next year for self and wife with QFF points. So I could end up in 5K and she in 2A. You bet I will harrass the FAs with requests. They will be busier than a one armed bricklayer in Beirut.
Old Jul 17, 2007, 1:23 am

Originally Posted by Lonely Flyer
...You bet I will harrass the FAs with requests. They will be busier than a one armed bricklayer in Beirut.
And your reason for harrassing the cabin crew would be...?
Old Jul 17, 2007, 1:25 am

Programs: BA/BD Gold/IC A/*Wood Gold - Certified BodyCombat and BodyPump Instructor
Hold on. To be fair the issue isn't that you won't get seat assignments at all, it's just that 1A/K are reserved for BA Golds/Prems and Joan Collins.

Anything else is up for grabs and you'll most likely have seats next to each other, especially if you book way in advance.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.