Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

BA is 3 times cheaper than FR - the Liarair Price Guarantee Nonsense

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

BA is 3 times cheaper than FR - the Liarair Price Guarantee Nonsense

Search this Thread

Old Jun 19, 2007, 7:50 am
Suspended

Programs: Proud owner of 3 Mucci's (yes, 3!) the latest being Chevaliere des Bains Chauds, BA Silver (6 yrs)
Originally Posted by Smirnoff
And the kind of emmett that pays 1p for a flight is exactly the kind that should be kept out of Cornwall.
Err, didn't you do just that not so long ago?
Old Jun 19, 2007, 7:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by sunrisegirl
Err, didn't you do just that not so long ago?
ah yes, but I'm not an emmett, am I?
Old Jun 19, 2007, 8:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Anyway, now that BA has thoughtfully shifted the LGW-NQY flight from 1200 to 1250, it makes for so much more civilised a day.

There's time for lunch and some champers in the F lounge before wandering down to the gate and taking one's seat in row 1.

Such a nice way to travel.
Old Jun 19, 2007, 8:19 am

Programs: BA Executive Club
Originally Posted by BOH
Sort of OT but still on the subject of FR - what is all this bollox the FA's spout about the front and rear 6 rows having to be left free if the flight is not full?

My daughter, GF and I paid extra for priority boarding and PYOBP for our FR flight from BOH to PSA last week. Sole purpose was to bag the front row - really the DEF seats as my 10 year old cannot sit in the ABC seats. But as we boarded the table trays were down in rows 1-6 (and rear 6 rows) and the FA explained "it is not a full flight therefore you cannot sit in these seats until after take-off"

When some other pax complained a tannoy announcement was made about it being "illegal" to sit in these seats ... are they talking about - never, ever seen this on other airlines. So after takeoff and the seatbelts sign was off various pax moved into these seats (we could no longer be bothered) only to be solemnly asked to move back to their originals prior to landing

... is going on here???????
This is par for the course for Ryanair. They have utter disdain for their customers - O'Leary makes no bones about this, and his company has turned it into an art form. I say don't fly with them and maybe if enough people take that view Ryanair's financial issues will get a lot worse.
Old Jun 19, 2007, 8:40 am
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

Originally Posted by BOH
... is going on here???????
Aircraft Trim...

BA also do it when a flight is not heavilly loaded.

Cheers,
Rick
Old Jun 19, 2007, 9:54 am
vla

Programs: Mucci, BAEC Gold, Aegean Gold
Originally Posted by pauldb
More importantly, the "double refund" is limited to an enormous £70 return. So you'd still be paying £90 more. Is there a point, with ridiculous restrictions, that a "guarantee" can no longer be advertised as such.

http://www.ryanair.com/site/EN/notic...ubledifference
Paging VC10 for some of his pro bono work!
Old Jun 19, 2007, 10:00 am
BOH

Programs: IC Hotels Spire, BA Gold
Originally Posted by DYKWIA
Aircraft Trim...

BA also do it when a flight is not heavilly loaded.

Cheers,
Rick
Never seen it done on any other airline - and I have been on some pretty lightly loaded flights before, including BA.

But is is actually "illegal" to sit in these seats as FR suggested - I guess it could be interpreted as ignoring the orders of the captain / flight crew if one chose to.
Old Jun 19, 2007, 10:05 am

Programs: BA Silver, TK Silver, HH Diamond, IHG Plat AMB
Originally Posted by BOH
Never seen it done on any other airline - and I have been on some pretty lightly loaded flights before, including BA.

But is is actually "illegal" to sit in these seats as FR suggested - I guess it could be interpreted as ignoring the orders of the captain / flight crew if one chose to.
This is extremely common on FR flights. They always say its a requirement of Irish regulations as they are in effect an Irish carrier despite their main hub being at STN.

I suppose them 75 seats I booked for a penny was a waste of 75p!
Old Jun 19, 2007, 10:49 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by BOH
It used to happen sometimes on the old BA turboprops between EDI/BHX
Old Jun 19, 2007, 12:42 pm

Similar, but not as stark a comparison from this end of the world. Ok this comparison is rather biased towards my personal circumstances, but anyway for a one way MEL-SYD fare:

'Real' cost of flying with Virgin Blue:
Sale fare - $59
Access to 'The Lounge' - $30
Food and drink (sandwich and alcoholic drink) - $12
Exit row ('Blue Zone') seating - $30

'Real' cost of flying with Qantas:
Sale fare - $96
Access to the QP - complimentary due to sapphire status
Food and drink - complimentary
Exit row seating - complimentary; usually guaranteed one when asking the nice reception ladies at the QP

T DJ: $131
T QF: $96

Hmm - even with the non-sale QF red e-deal fare of $120, I still end up saving money!
Old Jun 19, 2007, 12:54 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by QF009
Similar, but not as stark a comparison from this end of the world. Ok this comparison is rather biased towards my personal circumstances, but anyway for a one way MEL-SYD fare:

'Real' cost of flying with Virgin Blue:
Sale fare - $59
Access to 'The Lounge' - $30
Food and drink (sandwich and alcoholic drink) - $12
Exit row ('Blue Zone') seating - $30

'Real' cost of flying with Qantas:
Sale fare - $96
Access to the QP - complimentary due to sapphire status
Food and drink - complimentary
Exit row seating - complimentary; usually guaranteed one when asking the nice reception ladies at the QP

T DJ: $131
T QF: $96

Hmm - even with the non-sale QF red e-deal fare of $120, I still end up saving money!
Sure you end up saving the money, HOWEVER the cost of getting Sapphire is not included in the price. Also exit rows are not guaranteed and actually I never manage to get it even when I check in at the QP
Old Jun 19, 2007, 1:03 pm

Originally Posted by Dave Marsh
Sure you end up saving the money, HOWEVER the cost of getting Sapphire is not included in the price. Also exit rows are not guaranteed and actually I never manage to get it even when I check in at the QP
I don't actually mean exit rows are guaranteed for everyone that asks - what I meant was I've never failed in getting one when I ask.

Cost of getting Sapphire - I still do have to fly to the places I go to anyhoo... getting Sapphire is kinda incidental or includes some creative routing at the same fares. Now it'd have been another story had I paid for QP membership but I'd still save the cost of the membership over a period of time.
Old Jun 19, 2007, 1:20 pm
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

Originally Posted by BOH
It's happened to me a few times on MAN-LGW. Dunno if it's something that affects only a particular aircraft type (737-300 etc.), or maybe also to do with how much baggage/cargo is loaded.

Cheers,
Rick
Old Jun 19, 2007, 3:37 pm

Programs: I've got three passports, A couple of visas, Don't even know my real name.
Originally Posted by Smirnoff
Therefore, FR is an average 33% more expensive when travelling on a Saturday, and an average 14% cheaper when travelling on a Tuesday.
You forgot to include Air Southwest.

Isn't it a surprise that BA offers such cheap fares on a route where it competes directly with two LCCs!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.