Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Eco-loons to disrupt LHR August 14th-21st!

Search this Thread

Old May 24, 2007, 8:15 am
Original Poster

I liked this bit - the only food they'll be able to source local to LHR is roadkill but I bet they're all vegetarians!

"Run without leaders by everyone who comes along, it will be a working ecological village using renewable energy, composting waste and sourcing food locally."
Old May 24, 2007, 8:21 am

Programs: BA Gold, LH Sen, MUCCI, Junior Jet Club.
Shall we organise a Do? Show the worst excesses of capitalism next door.
Old May 24, 2007, 8:32 am
Original Poster

Their site is a real hoot! Look at the depth of scientific knowledge they display.

"The scale of the problem is mind-boggling: the new report from the United Nations Inter-Governmental Panel on Climate Change says that if we continue with rapidly increasing fossil-fuel use, global average temperatures may rise by 6 degrees Celsius. The last time this happened was 251 million years ago and some 99% of all living individuals died."

I assume they mean 99% of "individual" invertebrates!!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Permian...tinction_event
Old May 24, 2007, 8:40 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Tamsin - what else is there to say?
Originally Posted by aristoph
I liked this bit - the only food they'll be able to source local to LHR is roadkill but I bet they're all vegetarians!

"Run without leaders by everyone who comes along, it will be a working ecological village using renewable energy, composting waste and sourcing food locally."
Actually, there is a tescos south of LHR... does that count as sourcing food locally?!
Old May 24, 2007, 8:42 am

Programs: EK Gold, BA Gold
Originally Posted by BahrainLad
Shall we organise a Do? Show the worst excesses of capitalism next door.
First time ive ever laughed out loud at something i read on FT
Old May 24, 2007, 9:43 am

Programs: BA, Marriott, Hertz, Dennis The Menace Fan Club
sourcing food locally
That'll be McDonald's in Staines, then.
Old May 24, 2007, 10:14 am

Programs: BA Blue, IC Spire Ambassador
Originally Posted by latitude
Yes, but do they have the right to interfere and disrupt people going about their business? Making a point is one thing, forcing opinions on others by disrupting their lives is another.
Aah but they argue that the ?150,000? who ostensibly die from 'Climate Change' annually have the right to life...

My argument is simply that if we cut air traffic out of the UK by 90% by 2030 (which is what they want), there will be no proper economy in Europe -what will that achieve? more aid for Africa? Eradication of world poverty? No. Instead, it will lead to increased povery in Europe and Africa -and we all know the civil liberties that people enjoy in countries without a functioning and healthy economy -they are non existant.

Of course we need to look at how we can cut our emissions, but I believe that attacking tourists and business people really isn't the way to go about it. I hope that the police keep a close eye on the protestors and they carry out a 'peaceful protest' -as soon as operations begin to be disrupted, perhaps the police could use their powers to move them on.
Old May 24, 2007, 10:42 am

Programs: F
Tush! You are such pessimist! Stop all air travel AND all modern communications and then we won't even know about the starving Third World! Problem solved.
Old May 24, 2007, 11:14 am

Programs: BA/BMI/RZGP Gold, AA/Amex Plat, IC Plat RA, HH Diamond, VS Silver
Wirelessly posted (Portable FT Checker: BlackBerry8700/4.1.0 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/155)

Arg!!! Right when I'm off to vegas. Great.
Old May 24, 2007, 11:53 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by aristoph
... but I bet they're all vegetarians!"
And what is wrong with that? You carnivores are all the same.
Old May 24, 2007, 5:26 pm

Programs: BA Blue, Marriott Silver Elite, Hilton HHonors Gold
"One person's freedom ends where anothers begins."
Old May 25, 2007, 12:50 am

Programs: BA EC Gold
Originally Posted by IAMORGAN
...I believe that attacking tourists and business people really isn't the way to go about it. I hope that the police keep a close eye on the protestors and they carry out a 'peaceful protest' -as soon as operations begin to be disrupted, perhaps the police could use their powers to move them on.
Exactly. Tourists and businesspeople flying out of LHR are easy targets, not because their actions have any effect whatever on climate change. Any protest disrupting their travel is going to be completely ineffective in the long run.

Why don't these people go to China, where it is estimated that one coal-fired power plant per week is being opened? Well obviously a two-year stint in People's Prison #5 isn't too enticing...

The fact is that these protests are completely mis-directed and accomplish very little aside from giving these very groups negative PR.
Old May 25, 2007, 1:41 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Tamsin - what else is there to say?
@:-) Possibly they don't got to China because writing 'going to protest about the building of power plants' as their reason for visit is unlikely to get them a visa issued?
Old May 25, 2007, 10:13 am

Programs: CO Gold Elite, BA Blue, for the moment - Hyatt Gold Passport, Priority Club, Marriott etc etc
Interesting article about this in Daily Mail today - protest is apparently being run by "veteran anticapitalist protester Paul Morozzo."

Found this part of article particularly hiliarious:

"He is a friend of Dewhurst Butchers chain heir Mark Brown, 42, who funded his anti-capitalist activities with a 42,000-a-year trust fund left by his grandfather Sir Derek Vestey, the meat tycoon. Mr Brown was acquitted in April 2000 of masterminding the 1999 City riots which caused 2million worth of damage.

You gotta love a trust-fund-funded anti-capitalist campaigner Wonder if he's a vegetarian too???
Old May 25, 2007, 10:23 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ElkeNorEast
Interesting article about this in Daily Mail today - protest is apparently being run by "veteran anticapitalist protester Paul Morozzo."
So he lives in Hebden Bridge? Enough said!

Here are Mr Morozzo's views on cars, by the way.

"We are basically about taking back public space from the enclosed private arena. At its simplest it is an attack on cars as a principle agent of enclosure. It's about reclaiming the streets as public inclusive space from the private exclusive use of the car. But we believe in this as a broader principle, taking back those things which have been enclosed within capitalist circulation and returning them to collective use as commons."

A genuine unrepentant communist, it seems.

Last edited by aristoph; May 25, 2007 at 10:28 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.