Community
Wiki Posts
Search

New Moscow product

Search this Thread

Old Mar 22, 2008, 7:49 am

Originally Posted by BAW217
There are also Long Hual 767's planed on some European flights in August.

Cheers
Any more details?
Old Mar 22, 2008, 8:50 am

Programs: British Airways Executive Club, United Mileage Plus & bmi Diamond Club
Originally Posted by moral_low_ground
BA has a few CFM powered A320's that were inherited from Bcal. All the rest are IAE powered (RR and P&W)

The CFM powered can be identified by the BUSx registration, general lack of wing tip fences (not all though) andif you are on board, the horrendous noise they make on take off.

I doubt very much they will go to DME as this particular early model lacks the range and payload carrying capacity of the newer type and are generally restricted to those destinations no more than 1K miles from base.
The winglet-less A320s were the original A320-100s, the last of which was retired in February (?) & sent to the US for scrapping.

Is there any difference between the CFM powered A320-200s & the rest of the fleet in terms of interior?

Originally Posted by Smirnoff
It's the standard short-haul seating, no footrest, minimal recline. The only difference is they don't sell the middle E seat, so best choose a D or F seat.

The timing is horrible, leaving LHR at 2200, meal served an hour later, lights only dimmed after the meal service, and then the movie flickers away on the drop down screens, and then a couple of hours later, at 0430 MT, you land at DME. You will reach your hotel about 0600-0630 having not slept at all. It's an evil flight.

It's far better to stay over at LHR and take the morning BA872 on the tatty, falling apart, 767s.
Originally Posted by Flying Doctor
I've never done the DME flight but I've done the late ATH departure many times. It sounds a total rerun of what you describe...... the seats are no bigger than usual...the cabin fully light most of the way (although you do get a blanket on the seat when you board. Ha! Ha!) and after 3hr 45 you arrive in ATH at 4:30am feeling like utter c***!!!!! Only to have to take the flights to the islands that all leave at 6-6:30am!!!!!!!

FD
So who does actually fly the red eyes? I don't have expertflyer nor have I taken the red eyes so I don't know. A couple of logical observations however;

a) Why not serve a drink & a light snack on the ground & turn of the lights prior to take off & leave them off. Present all customers with an All Day Deli bag containing breakfast for them to take with them.
b) This flight can't be "that" popular - why not sell a whole row of Euro Traveller seats to sleep in (eg. 21ABC, 15DEF)
c) Provide amenity kits more substantial than a blanket!

Cheers,
Old Mar 22, 2008, 9:30 am

Programs: MUCCI
Originally Posted by flyboy777
The winglet-less A320s were the original A320-100s, the last of which was retired in February (?) & sent to the US for scrapping.

Is there any difference between the CFM powered A320-200s & the rest of the fleet in terms of interior?

So who does actually fly the red eyes? I don't have expertflyer nor have I taken the red eyes so I don't know. A couple of logical observations however;

a) Why not serve a drink & a light snack on the ground & turn of the lights prior to take off & leave them off. Present all customers with an All Day Deli bag containing breakfast for them to take with them.
b) This flight can't be "that" popular - why not sell a whole row of Euro Traveller seats to sleep in (eg. 21ABC, 15DEF)

Cheers,
I don't know about the other red-eyes but with regard to ATH:

This flight is almost always full and rammed to the rafters both in ET and J. It allows excellent connections with all the Greek Domestic flights to the Islands (many of which have only once daily services). That is why it is so popular and BA know that they could fill not only the 767 that does this late night route but that they could probably fill an appropriately configured 777 in the peak season.

Despite this, though, it is hell when you arrive at ATH at 4:30am........

FD
Old Mar 23, 2008, 6:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

So who does actually fly the red eyes? I don't have expertflyer nor have I taken the red eyes so I don't know.
The overnighters to DME are quite full, with good loads in ET and CE. Who flies?

In CE
- business people returning to DME after a day's business in London
- business people going out to DME, who don't want to waste the whole day travelling on the 762 or 874
- the other popular pm departure is the LX connection at around 1730 from LCY-ZRH-DME, which arives in at 0200.

In ET
- Russians returning from a trip to London
- those with onward connections from DME further East
- transit passengers returning from farther afield via LHR

In CE you get a grey coloured sandwich bag that smells of chemical waste, filled with a foldout toothbrish, a single-use toothpaste (if you can bite the cap off), a cheap and almost see-through eye mask, ear plugs, and those useless sock things.
Old Mar 23, 2008, 6:27 am

Programs: British Airways Executive Club, United Mileage Plus & bmi Diamond Club
I guess another reason for the overnighters is that it positions an aircraft well for a morning return which connects with pretty much everything going west.

Thanks for the replies. Interesting why they time it more as an overnight red eye thana late evening which gets in nearer 1/2am like the ATH.
Old Mar 23, 2008, 6:42 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges and Environmentally Friendly Travel

Originally Posted by G-BOAC
I can think of only one relevant difference (not sure if this was what was intended to come out from the segue in to engine types though ) - my last 'wonderful' G-BUSx experience was one with (IIRC) 14 totally full rows of CE. These BUSx things have a very tiny, thin cupboard in front of 1AC - useless for 7 jackets let alone 70. So if you want your jacket hung on a packed flight from DME where CE extends to row 300 or whatever, it likely ain't gonna happen.

That said, a plus on the DME flights is the blocked middles so that does lower the CE numbers a tad.
I noticed this too, just last week travelling on G-BUSH seated in 1A. Not on the DME run, I am hastened to add

The benefit the less capacious locker offers is slightly better legroom for those seated in 1A and 1B and significantly increased legroom in 1C, as the locker is much shallower - so much so that 1C has no bulkhead encroachment at all (and with this, no magazine pocket). There is an additional porthole which adds to 1A's view on the world.

Blimey! I seriously need to cut down on my short haul travel
Old Mar 23, 2008, 6:43 am

Programs: MUCCI
I guess another reason for the overnighters is that it positions an aircraft well for a morning return which connects with pretty much everything going west.

Thanks for the replies. Interesting why they time it more as an overnight red eye thana late evening which gets in nearer 1/2am like the ATH.
The positioning issue is important for ATH as this allows a 7am departure from ATH which then gets in for about 9am and is therefore great for all the US conections.

FD.
Old Mar 23, 2008, 10:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Because that would mean overnighting the plane and the crew, meaning increased expense (visas + hotel costs for crew), plus supposedly there is a security issue for the plane (although LX, OS etc seem to have no issue leaving leaving the planes there till the morning). BA doesn't seem to want to incur the extra cost, as they are quite happy packing the passengers in, and seeing them walk off the plane at 0430 like zombies.
Old Mar 23, 2008, 10:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

For those that wish to leave LHR after work, and arrive in Moscow in the morning, I highly recommend the BA flight to HEL at 1830 (arr 2330), overnighting at the Hilton onsite at the airport, and continuing on the early morning AY (soon to be brought forward to 0830, with an 1100 arrival in SVO). All available on AY flight numbers for 1100 flexible return (against 1850 on the direct BA).
Old Mar 23, 2008, 12:45 pm

For those that wish to leave LHR after work, and arrive in Moscow in the morning, I highly recommend the BA flight to HEL at 1830 (arr 2330), overnighting at the Hilton onsite at the airport, and continuing on the early morning AY (soon to be brought forward to 0830, with an 1100 arrival in SVO). All available on AY flight numbers for £1100 flexible return (against £1850 on the direct BA).
Hmmm, so you get a whole 2 hours more sleep & save almost £800 - genius!
Old Mar 23, 2008, 12:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Hmmm, so you get a whole 2 hours more sleep & save almost 800 - genius!
7 hours more sleep actually.

Land at HEL at 2330, you can be in bed at the Hilton by midnight, up at 0700 and amble across to the terminal at 0730 (currently 0830, as its a 0925 for now). 7 hours sleep vs. none on the overnight to DME.
Old Mar 23, 2008, 5:27 pm

Programs: QF Platinum (LTG), OW Emerald, Accor Platinum; Hyatt Explorist.
7 hours more sleep actually.

Land at HEL at 2330, you can be in bed at the Hilton by midnight, up at 0700 and amble across to the terminal at 0730 (currently 0830, as its a 0925 for now). 7 hours sleep vs. none on the overnight to DME.
That sounds optimal, however, I am using QF points for the trip(being spoilt by QF Dom J, I would never in my right mind EVER pay personal money for any European Y seat on steroids; aka J - well maybe an 'I' fare but that's it)

I think if I wanted the routing via HEL it would cost me many more points.

Thanks for the great tid bits of info thus far.

CJ

Last edited by Cedar Jet; Mar 23, 2008 at 7:21 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.